1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy trade proposal that will never happen!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

How's that title, Codell? Clear enough?;)

Okay then, here's the proposal. Based on the articles at the end of this post, Portland is interested in acquiring a center & trading Patterson. Would you be willing to take on Patterson's baggage, if it netted you Randolph & Davis? Here's the trade:

Houston sends Griffin/Mobley/Cato/Rice to Portland.

Portland sends Randolph/Davis/Anderson/Patterson to Houston.

Houston gets a starting PF, with a strong low post game, in Randolph. An older, but still very effective, backup 4/5 in Davis. A solid replacement SG in Anderson, & a troubled, young 2/3 in Patterson. Maybe, with a new coach & environment, Patterson can turn things around. He's definitely a talented player.

Portland gets a legitimate center in Cato, that brings a defensive intensity to the game. He also bodies up on Shaq better than most NBA centers. They get a solid & very exciting SG in Mobley, with a relatively cheap contract. Rice will enable them to get $9+ million in cap relief one year ealier than keeping Davis would & he brings some much needed outside shooting. In Griffin, I'm hoping that they have flash back memories of a young, athletic, long, & lean player that they traded away, by the name of Jermaine O'neal.

Would Portland bite on this deal? Probably not.
    Would Houston bite on this deal? I think they would.
    Would you bite on this deal? ????

Our new lineup would be:

C: Yao/Davis/Randolph
    PF: Randolph/Taylor/Badiane
    SF: Patterson/Piatkowski/Nachbar
    SG: Anderson/A.Griffin/Piatkowski
    PG: Francis/Moochie

That's a nice team, with depth. How I love dreaming.:D

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=19675

Notes: Sabonis' departure and Chris Dudley's expected retirement leaves Portland with Dale Davis and Ruben Boumtje Boumtje at center. "All of a sudden, we become like most NBA teams, without a bona fide physical presence in the post," Nash says. "Dale is a prototype power forward playing center, and Rasheed is going to log some center minutes. Boom Boom will be given a serious look to see if he is ready to contribute." Could Portland trade for a center? "It's possible, but it is so difficult because you almost always wind up overpaying," Nash says.
    Nash says the Blazers "have come close" to making a couple of trades. "We are going to add a guard, either in training camp or through free agency," says the GM, who had interest in a number of free-agent guards, including Lucious Harris and Earl Boykins. "Now that we know Sabonis' situation, we may be able to get something done. But, frankly, I'm not wild about the guards out there." ... Nash says he would like to have made a trade or two by now but indicates that any future moves might not come till close to the start of training camp in October.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1062849807101350.xml

Ruben Patterson has asked the Trail Blazers to trade him, but Portland general manager John Nash said the troubled forward most likely still will be with the team when training camp opens.

The major roadblock: Even if a team is willing to consider Patterson, his contract has four seasons remaining, and he is scheduled to earn $5.45 million this season.

"Because of the length of his contract and the nature of his contract, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of interest," Nash said. "I've explained to Ruben it's very likely that he will not be traded. And I think his agent, Dan Fegan, is keenly aware of that, because I think he's canvassed the NBA as well to determine what level of interest exists."

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sorry, but if you want to make a trade proposal lopsided, you better make it lopsided in the Rockets' favor. This one here is SO lopsided in Portland's favor that it's not even funny.

#2 AroundTheWorld, Sep 27, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2003
  3. SLA

SLA Member

Actually...I think it is pretty even..but Houston wouldn't do it.

Mobley won't get to play with Bonzi Wells still on the Blazers.

Griffin...is Rasheed but worse.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

Nice to know that you are so considerate of my feelings Trader Doddie. ;)

I don't think Portland does that because a) Randolph is one of the few young, and cheap pieces of talent that they have (not easy to part with) and b) Wells is their starting SG (since MObley is the center piece of the deal for them, this kind of wrecks it).

5. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love this for Houston.

Yao Davis
    Zach Taylor
    AG Patterson
    DA Pike
    Francis TLD

DA is a fabulous counterpart to Francis. He passes like a point guard. Zach is fantastic next to Yao, cleaning the boards, dishing it out, policing the lane, and catching with good hands to hammer down. He can run the two man game too. Davis is a great backup at both positions. Patterson could possibly contribute, except he and Zach hate each other, and Zach is the keeper..

Portland gets screwed. Rice they cut immediately. Griffin is a backup. They get bunched up at the 2 and 3 and weak up front.

Cato / Boom boom
    Wallace/ EG
    Bonzi/ Q.Woods
    Mobley/ Bonzi?
    Mc Innis/ Stodemire

I guess it clears out the roster for a rotation.

Sign me up!

#5 pasox2, Sep 27, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2003
  6. Hottoddie

I disagree. Randolph is far ahead of Griffin in developing his low post game, which is what we're more in need of than a 3pt shooting PF. I'm not saying Griffin won't be a great player some day, just that he's not as far a long as Randolph is right now.

Mobley has a higher scoring average than Anderson, but he takes 200-600 more shots on goal per season than Anderson. Mobley has taken 5,060 shots on goal in 5 years, while Anderson has taken 4,197 shots on goal in 6 years. Mobley has a little higher fg%, but give Anderson that many shots & his scoring average isn't that far behind Mobley. Add to those statistics, the fact that Anderson averaged 4.3 apg/1.68 turnovers per game last year, compared to Mobley's 2.8 apg/2.7 turnovers per game.

While Cato is 5 years younger than Davis, Davis is much more productive & has been more consistent than Cato. This part of the trade is why I believe Portland would not do it.

Rice is a better 3pt shooter than Patterson, but Patterson has a much higher fg% than Rice. Patterson (28) is much younger than Rice (36), thus he's healthier. Trading Rice's expiring contract for Patterson's baggage might be what causes the Rockets to balk at the deal. However, Davis's contract expires the following season, so that might help soften the blow. I still think the Rockets would consider the trade seriously.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I just think we could do a lot better.

I tend to believe that Rice's expiring contract alone could land us a better player than all the four guys mentioned from Portland.

I'd see Mobley as a little bit better than Anderson (maybe they can be seen as about even).

Cato is, as weird as this sounds now, another player for whom I think we can get more than Davis, who is old and washed up.

Patterson has a lot of baggage (wife-beater, accused of rape, etc. etc.). Not sure I want that kind of player on our team, even though he is the "Kobe stopper" ;).

8. Hottoddie

It's also nice to know that you still read fantasy trade threads. :D

Actually, Anderson is their starting SG. Bonzi starts at SF & only played SG in the playoffs, because Anderson was injured.

http://www.nba.com/blazers/news/anderson_030426.html

Derek Anderson Has Knee Surgery

Anderson
    PORTLAND, Ore., April 26 -- Portland Trail Blazers guard Derek Anderson underwent successful arthroscopic surgery to repair the medial meniscus in his left knee Saturday morning. Dr. Don Roberts, the Blazers team physician, performed the surgery at the Southwest Washington Regional Surgery Center. The team expects Anderson to make a full recovery and has not put a timeline on his return.

Anderson tore his medial meniscus in the first quarter of the Blazers-Mavericks first round playoff game on Wednesday, April 23. Anderson left the game with 9:07 remaining in the first quarter and did not return.

The Blazers take on the Dallas Mavericks on Sunday night at the Rose Garden Arena. The game can be heard live at 5 p.m. PT on KXL News radio 750.

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

great title, good trade.

I'd strongly consider it, though I would prefer to move Mo's fat contract and get a decent backup pf in order to ease the cap burdens. Also makes us older.

Yao / Davis
    Randolph / Davis / backup pf
    Patterson / AG / Pike
    Anderson / Pike / AG
    Franci / Mooch

10. NachbarSucks

NachbarSucks Member

Portland wouldn't trade Randolph for those guys.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I disagree with your earlier post about this being a lopsided trade but I think you make some excellent points here.

Even though I like what this does to the landscape of our team for this season we might be shortchanging ourselves with this trade.

I think we would be better served to wait and see what we have at the forward spots before we jump into a trade. Rice will be just as valuable when we are closer to the trade deadline as he is now and we can better judge what our needs are at that point.

12. Hottoddie

I thought about sending Mo-T instead of Rice as well, but I've read a couple of articles that stated Portland doesn't want to take on any big contracts. Davis's contract runs one year longer than Rice's, so we'll still get some cap relief after next year. In the long run, I think Taylor's contract is going to restrict our movements more so than either Cato or Moochie's contracts.

As for the age issue, the trade is actually a wash. It makes our backup center position older, but if Badiane works out, we'll get young again at that position. Here's the age of the players & the difference in years:

C: Cato(29)---Davis(34)---- +5 yrs Badiane(19)
    PF: Griffin(21)---Randolph(22)---- +1 yr
    SF: Rice(36)---Patterson(28)---- (-8) yrs
    SG: Mobley(28)---Anderson(29)---- +1 yr

So, technically speaking, we actually get one year younger.:D

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would do that trade because it benefits the Rockets but Randolph is their best 4 right now and can get better as well so they won't do it. Cato is a backup not starter material and is expensive and unfortunately EG hasn't had any success till now.
    I like your title Hottoddie it's realistic
    :)