1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Fuller - Texans 1st round pick, 21st overall

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 28, 2016.

?

Do you agree with this pick?

1. YES

77.4%
  2. NO

22.6%
  1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm going to see how these guys perform on the field before complaining. Fuller seems just fine from what I've seen.

I would have been happy either way, but on paper, I understand why they picked him.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think they will both be fine. New wide receivers coach sure has a lot of toys to play with. It should be fun to watch.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Big play potential.

The Texans swung for the fences. From signing Osweiler and Miller, to drafting THREE guys with sub 4.4 speed. I honestly don't see how any fan can be anything but pumped by what this team has done. This is the type of offseason that fans dream of.

The product on the field remains to be seen. So, cautiously optimistic? Maybe. But anything else... And you're just a wet blanket. Being a contrarian just for the sake of it is sooooo played out.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texans 1st-round WR Will Fuller had the highest deep-ball catch rate in the 2016 draft class <a href="https://t.co/cE0uoRfGeS">pic.twitter.com/cE0uoRfGeS</a></p>&mdash; Pro Football Focus (@PFF) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF/status/728590053354672128">May 6, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Except... one of the many things that makes JJ Watt so effective is his ability to line up all over the field and exploit the weakest link. On top of that, he has a variety of ways he can beat you - power, speed, finesse...

If JJ Watt was a very good but limited bull rusher, for instance - then, yes- having a clone of him on the other side would be redundant and much easier to game plan.

This isn't terribly difficult.

Also, let's tap the brakes on putting a rookie WR - or even DeAndre Hopkins - in the same class as one of the greatest defensive players of all-time.

#405 Hey Now!, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  6. Hey Now!

How many CBs run a 4.3? And, fine - who's your second-fastest CB? Because he's chasing Braxton Miller downfield.

It's all about exploiting match-ups with a diverse set of weapons so that teams never know what's going to hit them.

DeAndre #1 and DeAndre #2 - as good as they might likely be - are much easier to prepare and defend.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The point was that if you have a well rounded WR like Nuk, having another one isn't a problem, it's an awesome luxury. Nuk can beat you deep, he can play the slot, he can burn most corners one on one. I'm not saying Nuk is JJ Watt, I'm saying if you have 2 really awesome players play across from one another, it's not a problem.

8. Hey Now!

Yeah, exactly - not a problem... for the defense.

I'm not suggesting a stable of DeAndre Hopkins wouldn't be successful as he's an obviously great player. I'm suggesting a stable of versatile players who do different things surrounding Hopkins has a much greater upside and is infinitely harder to try and defend. It's why teams have change-of-pace RBs; why more athletic linemen are in vogue... the more you can throw at a defense, the easier it is to find weaknesses and exploiit them.

I have no idea if it'll all work out (and if it does, I suspect it'll come with a bit of a learning curve) - but this offense has the potential to be really dynamic; to switch and change things up week-to-week, half-to-half, quarter-to-quarter. They can beat you in a lot of different ways.

On paper, this is early 90s run'n'shoot-like potential.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

That 40 yard speed was not in-game speed and not after being jammed at the line. The CB can also give him a cushion and give himself a head start.

If you have Deandre and two, you absolutely have to have double teams on them because of their ability to catch the ball when covered.

I feel I cornered myself into this argument, not wanting to. I do think Doctson has the best hands in this draft and has enough speed to go downfield as well. But he's in Washington and Fuller is in Houston. I hope Fuller has the best season as a rookie WR and I could care less how well Doctson plays.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not only would a stable of DeAndre Hopkins' be successful but they'd be the best WR corps in the NFL. Teams have to double Nuk or he burns them no matter what route he's running, if a team had 2 of them, it would be disastrous for opposing defenses.

I sort of get what you are trying to say, but saying that it is better to have a less talented receiver who is a track star than to have a second elite level WR is just ridiculous.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Dats why we got em

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Every 40 yard dash is in shorts and tshirt...so the CB that normally runs a 4.57, now has to wear pads. Regardless, the speed advantage is still with Fuller. And as far as getting jammed at the line Doctson would handle that worse than Fuller.

If the CB wants to give Fuller a cushion, do a quick change in the play and fire it out to him at the LOS and let him pick up an easy 5-7 yards.

In regards to other comments...

As far as having 2 DeAndre Hopkins on the same roster...let's pump the breaks on declaring Doctson a top 5 NFL wideout. Doctson is not as good of a route runner as Fuller...and Fuller is a more capable and willing blocker.

This is not to say that Fuller is better than Doctson, but I think Fuller is not getting enough credit here.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think Fuller will surprise a lot of people. Apparently he's a gym rat? It took about 2 days for him to get working on his footwork and improving. I think this is the biggest indicator of success in any part of life and to hear that he's been hard at work already and not enjoying the spoils of just making the NFL says a lot to me. If he has that kind of determination to be great then he certainly can be.

14. Mark

Mark Contributing Member

We were never getting Doctson. It was either Fuller or Treadwell. Redskins were always taking Doctson and they wouldnt have traded back with us had it been Doctson we were targeting.

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That makes sense from the Redskins perspective, but then why in the world would the Texans trade up then? Why just not let the Redskins take Doctson and then take Fuller without giving up a pick? Were there rumors of other teams going up to take Fuller? Or were the Texans just played by savvier teams?

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This would have more credibility if they had the right O line players in and had them in the right spots.

17. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

The statement made in the tweet and the graphic seem largely unrelated. That's a strange reason to discredit the statement.

18. Hey Now!

If a CB is playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage, you've already dictated how a defense can defend you and it can be exploited. You've won.

Not necessarily - the DeAndres work within 8-12 yards of the line of scrimmage the majority of the time - you can flare LBs into their zones, etc. And whatever you do on one side of the field can be replicated exactly on the other side - it doesn't require different personnel, you don't have to alter your coverage.

What Fuller can (hopefully) do is monumentally different; it requires a completely different defensive alignment, as well as, personnel. It opens the field up for a variety of attacks.

Look at it like this - would you rather build around two Adrian Peterson or Adrian Peterson and... Darren Sproles? There's a reason teams seek diversity - it forces a defense into mismatches. That's what BOB is trying to create - he wants to throw a variety of looks at you and then ride whichever one you can't stop.

#418 Hey Now!, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's really more discrediting the source. While PFF can sometimes be a good source, other times they are just awful and completely off the mark.

As to the statement, his deep ball catch rate is encouraging, but he's gotta be able to do more than fly routes and that's where his questionable hands and small catching radius come into play. I like that he's good at tracking down the homerun ball though and that shouldn't be ignored.

20. Hey Now!

I don't disagree; they'd also be very limited, in terms of how they could attack a defense. I love Deandre Hopkins - but most of his damage is done within 10-12 yards of the line scrimmage. Send him deep and he can be single-covered because he's not going to beat anyone downfield. He'll win every jump ball, etc., and then be promptly tackled.

I guarantee you a defensive coordinator would much rather deal with 3 elite but remarkably similar WRs than three very good WRs whose defining strengths are unique.

If Fuller and Doctson both live up to their potential, Fuller will be a much more valuable asset to *this* offense than Doctson would.