1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden's Last Season vs Hakeem's MVP Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 30, 2016.

?

Better season?

1. Hakeem - NBA MVP,DPOY, Finals MVP (Clutchfans named after the season)

126 vote(s)
    74.1%
  2. Harden - players voted mvp

44 vote(s)
    25.9%
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Every team has a 'best player that produces the most'. Doesn't mean that best player is good enough to be the best player of a championship caliber team and when I mean championship caliber I mean on par with the Warriors and Spurs which currently have 25+ win advantage than the Rockets.

2. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Are you seriously comparing Houston to GSW or SAS?

Compare their roster and ours minus best player. And then compare the coaches. Therein lies the problem.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Wow what has this place come to?

Saying Hakeem only won when Jordan took a break. People realize Jordan played the 2nd time right in 95? Not Hakeem's fault Jordan didn't make the finals.

4. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

This Briand person needs to stfu & gtfo

5. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

let the facts speak for themselves

93-94 Hakeem Olajuwon (Team 58-24, 1st in MVP Voting, DPOY)

PPG-RPG-APG-SPG-BPG

27.3-11.9-3.6-1.6-3.7

52.8 FG%

TS% 56.5
    PER 25.3
    Ortg 109
    Drtg 95
    Net Rating +14
    WS 14.3
    WS/48 .210
    BPM 7.0
    VORP 7.5

14-15 James Harden (Team 56-26, 2nd in MVP Voting, Player's MVP)

PPG-RPG-APG-SPG-BPG

27.4-5.7-7.0-1.9-0.7

44 FG% 37.5 3P%

TS% 60.5
    PER 26.7
    Ortg 118
    Drtg 103
    Net Rating +15
    WS 16.4 (franchise record)
    WS/48 .265
    BPM 8.4
    VORP 7.8

6. fchowd0311

[​IMG]

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Well lets put together a championship caliber team and find out what Harden's got before totally ****ting on him shall we? The Warriors can get to WCF's without Steph Curry. Even if the Clippers were healthy the Warriors still might have beaten the Clippers and got to the WCF's without Curry. When Morey can field a team that produces like that without Harden I will then judge Harden on whether or not he can lead us to a championship otherwise it's probably best to shut up about a guy producing so well because you having little or nothing else constructive to say about anyone else on the team tends to make you look like a hater.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He should have stopped a long time ago.

With that said he makes a great point about Harden and Harden is under appreciated around here.

He just needs to understand that for many fans winning comes first and is the most important stat. It just is. People don't care about these numbers if the team is still losing, what's the point? The point of sports is to win.

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

It doesn't say "WORLD CHAMPION" on the banner it says "WORLD CHAMPIONS" as in more than one person, as in it takes a team.

1 person likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

And Hakeem being one of the best defenders of all time along with being one of the most dominant offensive centers of all time certainly contributed.

I don't know how Harden's gimmick offense that relies on how an independent third party(refs) buys into the gimmick along with at best less than mediocre defense equates.

#270 fchowd0311, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  11. fchowd0311

If anything he proved how worthless advanced analytics can be when he can make an argument that Harden had a better year than Dream's MVP year.

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Typical backpedaling. I'm glad you admitted you don't know while insulting Harden's offense but OK. What was the point of you posting all that nonsense if you were just going to admit what we all know YOU DON'T KNOW.

13. fchowd0311

Hmm.. I'm pretty sure I meant that I don't understand the RATIONALITY of equating Harden's 14-15 season to Dreams MVP/DPOY season.

Comparing one of the if not the best two way player this game has ever seen to a gimmick offensive player who plays by all accounts (besides his nut hugger crew) CRAP defense is something I don't understand.

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Could it be possible that both players performed great just one had a better team? By your account certain stars aren't as good as certain players because they failed to win it all or go further when really it's just that one had a better team than the other. The true sign of someone who has no idea what they are talking about when it comes to NBA is when you see someone who thinks one person does it all. Then when you point out that its a team that does it that person say "I don't know" and continues to hate anyway, lol. I ask you again then what's the point of you posting?

15. fchowd0311

One player performed great on both ends and the other payer performed great on one end. So logically, the player who performed great on both ends contributes more to the team. How is that not basic common sense to you?

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

No you're still back pedaling. You didn't mean it that way at all. All you have to do is look at the post you replied to in which I said it said champions and not champion on the banner. Harden has a bit better overall numbers than Hakeem therefore any rational person would surmise that had Harden received the support from teammates that Hakeem did then they would be successful as well. Instead you rely on calling Harden's offensive game a gimmick because at this point you have nothing else substantive to offer to your point. All you know is that people are comparing Harden's stats to Hakeem's (Which are actually comparable) and you don't like it. You should get over that.

17. fchowd0311

Hakeem being one of the greatest defensive anchors of all time along with being one of the greatest offensive centers of all time... ya, that had no contribution to the Rockets winning back to back championships. Go away.

Saying that if Harden had the same support that Dream had they would be 'equally successful' is a complete joke because if you replace Dream with Harden you receive marginally a better offensive output(I'll just give in to that just for arguments sake) while taking away ONE OF THE GREATEST DEFENSIVE ANCHORS IN NBA HISTORY.

And that argument holds EVEN if I give into the notion that Harden had a marginally better offensive year than Hakeem's MVP year.

18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Because Harden performed better in other areas like creating offense. There is more than one way to skin a cat. So if you want to talk about common sense then bring the common knowledge that not all superstars win the championship in the same exact way. It's funny you talk about common sense when are the one who had to be reminded that basketball is a team sport. Jordan's bulls got to the second round without him. Same exact team without the greatest player who ever played the game still made it to the second round.

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

When did I say this? I'll take your begging as a sign you know you're wrong and have had enough.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hakeem's defense > Hardens offense
    Hakeem's offense > Hardens defense

Can't just use a bunch of offensive stats to evaluate the GOAT defender.

Also, I think those stats underrated the impact of a true post player a bit.

For an example from this year, DeMarcus Cousins doesn't look great by some of this stats but he's top 15 in real plus minus past two years.

There's a lot of other stuff that doesn't get captured too, such as Hakeem's blocks and steals leading to automatic fast breaks.

Hakeem also didn't turn it over much on offense.

Hakeem also played against other great centers. Robinson, Ewing, Mutombo, young Shaq. Hardens competition is Klay Thompson and Jimmy Butler? Nice guys but not all time greats

#280 Mr. Clutch, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016