1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Astros Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by torque, Apr 4, 2016.

1. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Depending on Martes, that trade looks very bad for the astros

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Zach Eflin, Mark Appel and Adam Morgan all pitching well for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Phillies?src=hash">#Phillies</a> AAA Lehigh Valley club. Appel is 3-0 with 1.62 ERA in 3 starts.</p>&mdash; Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/725361196229120000">April 27, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Maybe at the end i will be wrong, but i still see Appel as a very good number 3 starter in the majors, with even higher upside if he gets consistency with his pitches.

4. Nook

Nook Member

No it doesn't.

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Cause we miss Cosart?

Under Hinch Cosart would be Ace?

Please CangreOuch explain how that trade could possibly be bad

**and I hated the trade when it was made but it's definitely turned out to be a great deal

6. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Lets see my friend, lets look at the trade:

Pence: An All Star for the Giants, just imagine that dude hitting 5th for our team right now.

What did we get? Singleton, Villar and Cosart and Domingo Santana. First one, a bust so far, second one traded and got nothing in return, so lets examine Cosart:We got Moran (who i like) and Martes. We gave Kike who is a nice utility player.

Santana was involved in a deal for Gomez and Fiers, but there were other players involved, and Santana was not the major part on the deal.

So, in reality the trade at the end is: Pence for Moran and Martes

I like both players, but not more than Pence. Of course, you may say we were not going to re sign Pence and i would say, why not? He should be the face of the team even tough we are rebuilding but to trade a 28 year old 2 time All Star for 3 players that only 2 are in the majors, and only one projects as a regular for many years, i just don't think we did good enough.

And at the end, after other trades, what we have is 2 triple a guys in Singleton and Moran, and a double a guy with great stuff, Martes.

So yes, for me Martes needs to become a "good" starter for the Astros to make the trade good for the Astros, if not we gave a great bat at a young age for not much.

7. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Ahhh, and forgot, Marisnick who so far is a 4th outfielder, well, actually he is in triple a.

8. The Beard

Gotta love a miserable guy who constantly quotes himself

#playwithyourselfmuch

9. bball1217

bball1217 Member

We also got a 2015 compensation pick from the Marlins for Cosart, which turned into Daz Cameron who, regardless of his start this year, is a great prospect.

Also, best case scenario with not trading Pence: we are slightly better, but still not a playoff team; we end up with worse picks in the draft than what we had over the last 4 years.

So, yes I'd say the Pence/Cosart trades are a success considering we have three players (Moran, Martes, Cameron) who could eventually contribute to a team that does actually have a chance to contend over the next 3-5+ years all for just one player who would've made us incrementally better over several mediocre years at best.

Even if all three bust, then the trade was still worth it in my opinion because Pence would've likely signed elsewhere anyways. Miss 100% of the shots you don't take, this trade was worth the shot.

10. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Sometimes I genuinely think that you wake up in the morning and spin a wheel to determine which asinine Astros take you will focus on that day.

11. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Actually, i think Pence would had signed with the astros as he "re-sign" with the Giants. Remember, Pence is from Texas, the question is, would the Astros spend 18 millions for him? Maybe without taxes (as SF has a high tax) in Houston it could be a little less.

12. cdain3

cdain3 Member

So are we just gonna ignore Chris Carter?

13. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Nahhhhh, i really like Pence, and would love to have him playing RF and Springer in CF instead of Gomez.

Imagine this lineup:
    1 Altuve
    2. Gonzalez 3b
    3. Correa SS
    4. Rasmus LF
    5. Pence RF
    6. Springer cf
    7. White 1b
    8. Gattis/Tucker DH
    9. Castro

That would be damn good lineup, and is only with 1 change in the lineup.

14. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

You have to realize what an absurd argument this is 5 years later, right?

Can you grasp the insane "butterfly effect" changes that would have occurred had Pence not been dealt five years ago??

Please don't troll. Think. Use your brain. You are spouting gibberish right now.

1 person likes this.
  15. The Beard

Wouldnt have had Correa if we kept Pence probably, and likely wouldn't have signed Rasmus...:so replace those two with Villar and Hoes and get back to me

#idontlikereality

16. The Beard

He has no brain to use man

He is slipping out of middle school to spew his daily garbage

17. bball1217

bball1217 Member

Yeah, well, if my team was coming off a World Series win, I would probably want to "re-sign" with them too. Astros weren't quite there in 2012...and yes, he's from Texas (Arlington), but I think he might prefer winning a bit more than hometown discounts.

Regardless, Pence not being traded changes literally our entire organization...so can't just insert him into today's lineup anyways.

18. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

My friend, to talk about baseball is ALWAYS beautiful.

If we talk about the Bagwell trade, what, we can't because it was a long time ago???? Do you think Boston would not be happy to void that trade????

My friend, my advice is, talk baseball and stop insulting others

19. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Just for the record, i did not posted this, but i replied.

The bullies back in town trying to shut a person only talking about baseball.

Imagine, a trade not even made by Luthnow, and one that i only say that i like Pence and think we did not do good in that trade and i receive insults because of it.

Wow, some people are insane, they "have" to insults other for talking baseball???? Incredible.

20. The Beard

I did not post this

NOT I did not posted this

In any case, you annoy 99% of the posters on here

But carry on

If you don't mind me asking, what are your thoughts on Hinch?