1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official: Scotty Brooks to be named new Head Coach of Washington Wizards

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dat Dude, Apr 21, 2016.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Heh - I'm kind of neutral on Scott Brooks but I will never get tired of your relentless Brooksbashing.

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

to be fair, everyone has believed in jeff green at some point. every two weeks he makes some crazy drive and layup and or has a 30 point game and he sucks someone else into thinking "wait, just maybe...".

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i do always try to remember that brooks did win a series with 4 straight wins over a spurs team that looked like possibly the greatest team ever.

the spurs won 10 straight in the regular season then the first 10 games in the playoffs and had a stretch in that 20th game where their offense was at a level never seen before (until this warriors team). and somehow, okc fought back to make that game 2 a close game and then won 4 straight and made the finals. largely using a kevin durant pindown play that san antonio and pop could never solve.

otherwise he doesn't seem to be anything to write home about, but he did have that moment.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Here is the deal about Jeff Green at OKC from one who watched nearly every game:

He was part of Thunder U and seemed to have a lot of promise. Was #2 in the pecking order after KD. I was excited they drafted him and thought he was underrated.

His 3rd year (WB's 2nd), it became VERY apparent to everyone watching them on a regular basis that Green flatlined/regressed while WB passed and left him in the dust. That is, everyone but Bonehead. It was very frustrating. What covered everything up was 2009/10 being OKC's first winning season. Then they pushed the Lakers to 6 games, losing game 6 on a tip-in by Pau. Jeff Green played like a nervous kitten the entire series. It was a complete choke job that turned people against him.

OKC had very good chances to win either (or both) of the 1st two games at LA. One big reason they didn't is Bonehead insisted on putting Jeff Green on Kobe, who torched him like a girl in crunch time. It was a joke. I threw my hands up in the air wondering why not Thabo.

During the summer of 2010, Green rode the coattails of KD & WB to a Team USA invite. He continued the nervous choke jobbing from the playoffs and didn't even make the first cut. I remember one of the announcers harshly commenting Green was so bad he blew a guaranteed spot on the team.

His 4th year, Bonehead continued the favoritism towards Green. Nobody could understand it. Instead of letting Harden lead the 2nd unit, Bonehead rotated Green that direction and it delayed Harden's development. At the same time, the minutes he got as starting PF delayed Ibaka growth.

The trade to Boston was pure addition by subtraction because both Harden and Ibaka flourished and raised them games with the additional responsibility. This never would have happened without trading Bonehead's pet player. Of course, the problem was the player they got in return (Perkins) became the coach's next pet.

Summary: Close followers of Jeff Green gave up on him about a year before he was traded. Watching him literally hit the wall year 3 while KD and WB went to new heights was a shocker. National commentators, fans of other teams (and coach Bonehead) didn't realize this was happening. This is why so many were surprised at the trade. Close followers were not surprised, they were relieved.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Glad to see this take. I felt the same way. The idea of adding Perkins would enable other players to realize their true potential. They also desperately needed size to compete with the teams out west during that time period. The idea of the trade was fair IMO, but Perkins' contract became a problem with a quickness.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm not a huge Brooks fan, but I honestly think he'll be good for the youngsters out there. Good hire for the next 2-3 seasons for DC. And *maybe* it tilts Durant -- I'm among those who doubt it very much b/c Durant is smart and will understand the limitations of Brooks.

7. i3artow i3aller

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Report: Kevin Durant won’t sign with Wizards <a href="https://t.co/AGqAVNleTz">https://t.co/AGqAVNleTz</a></p>&mdash; Kurt Helin (@basketballtalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/723580423670890497">April 22, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Durant is staying in OKC. I don't think he leaves a good situation, and don't think a bigger market intrigues him. He already has tons of sponsorship just playing for OKC

9. Bleek

Bleek Rookie

KD to Wizards. I mean comon, its obvious now.

10. buffalobills!!!

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I hate to beat on you-know-who any further, but the problem with Perk in OKC wasn't Perk at all. He couldn't help being an unathletic slug. The problem was Bonehead's insistence on playing him waaaay too many minutes in situations where he was a detriment to the team. All the jokes Shaq and others made about Perk should have been directed at Bonehead.

When OKC played teams with a big low-post C, Perk was usually an asset. But when a coach takes a situational player and gives him big minutes, you can't blame the player.

I still liked the Perkins/Green trade even when it became clear Perk wouldn't be fully healthy until the following season.

12. Outlier

Outlier Member

Mediocre team gonna mediocre

13. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

that's a legit source??

14. marky :)

marky :) Member

Nope. It says nba.nbcsports

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Grunfeld on Brooks: &quot;Scott was our top candidate, there were a lot of teams interested, and we moved quickly to get him.&quot;</p>&mdash; Washington Wizards (@WashWizards) <a href="https://twitter.com/WashWizards/status/725386018879315968">April 27, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol Grunfeld