1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Van Gundy is at the top of the Rockets’ list of candidates

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Apr 18, 2016.

?

Would you be okay with bringing Jeff Van Gundy back?

1. Yes — bring him back.

88.9%
  2. No — been there, done that.

11.1%
  1. edc

edc Contributing Member

Mister Van Gundy is quite different as a broadcaster than a coach. Anyone old enough to remember that era will know that his "deflate-the-basketball" style was unwatchable, and his lauded defense ended up in the Rockets sputtering to a 116-76 loss where all his analysis would be "we couldn't stop the pick-and-roll."

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

So so true. Maybe he's changed... maybe not.

But I can't recall very many Rockets fans that were sad to see him go nearly a decade ago. It's surprising there are so many that want to see him back.

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Judging from what happened last training camp, we need a supreme leader. A führer. I can't think of a better candidate than JVG.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think with the pieces we have, and the lack of discipline on running a coherent and consistent system with both offense and defense, I think JVG would be great with this team. I would love to see what he could do with this group of guys.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JVG gets the most out of his players. He did that in Houston and New York. He'd be great here.

6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Kevin McHale, is that you?

This is the second thread you've tried to convey this message. And no one is biting because it's idiotic.

But I'll spit some rhetoric your way.

Why do you attribute those things to Thibs?
    For instance, why don't you now attribute JVG passing on his defensive knowledge to Thibs?

Has JVG openly come out and said he knows nothing - that it was all Thibs?

In case you haven't noticed, apart from a couple of teams in the league the entire NBA's philosophy is dump it to the star.

It's common sense. It's how you win the majority of the time. You don't win in the Playoffs by having 5 Chandler Parsons. You win in the Playoffs by having a star to give the ball to and ask to make something happen.

Why do you think we'll have 'that simple minded approach' to offense as you so put it? Why, oh why do you blatantly ignore the fact JVG WOULD NOT be running the offense? Why, oh why do you blatantly ignore the fact he has said if he were to return to coaching - he would hire a guru offensive assistant.

Exactly how many head coaching positions have become vacant in the past decade, AND have you heard JVG is openly interested in the position?

(the hint is not many, because he doesn't throw his hat into the ring willy nilly)

The irony is you call people crazy and moronic. But think your post is credible.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Is that true?

Yao / Mac underperformed.

8. htown1984

htown1984 Member

TMAC underperformed? really I thought Tmac was great and
    actually played very well until he started to get injured

9. JayZ750

They never made it out of the first round... despite being up 2-0 on the Mavs coming back home, and despite being a "better" team with home court advantage against the Jazz.

Some of it was roster based.

But at the end of the day JVG underperformed... which is why everyone wanted him gone.

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

How about this guy?

[​IMG]

11. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Finley was out of bounds.

12. htown1984

htown1984 Member

do you think JVG would be better than JB?

13. JayZ750

It's hard to imagine he won't be.

But I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY... REALLY!!!!!!!!!! hope that the bar for new coach isn't "better than JBB"

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Why don't we just skip this BS and hire Adelman? He was a better coach than JVG while here so why are we chasing the guy who lost his job because his system sucked.

15. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Defense- Our guys need a hard strict defense coach:

adelman runs a nice offensde system, but we have the worst offense system now and still score 1o0 + most of the time

scoring is not the problem (we just need to be more efficient), but that requires better shooters..

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That whole series was a cluster **** after them being up 2-0, it was so rigged.

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, I think a random fan each night from the stands will be better than JBB.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Findley was out of bounds though.

DD

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, I meant going back and looking at it, it was all bad. On top of the Finley thing, just the fact JVG got in trouble (for legitimate concerns, well threatened). http://m.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/Rockets-05-playoff-series-fixed-disgraced-1590928.php

I know that series was fixed, without a doubt, and while the source of this article might not be the best it makes sense.

I know you're aware, DD, but just in case others didn't know. So frustrating.

20. OpportunityCost

"In case you haven't noticed, apart from a couple of teams in the league the entire NBA's philosophy is dump it to the star.”
    Just because "everyone" else is doing it doesn't mean it's beneficial - I also don't have the desire to invalidate that statement by researching all of the teams that do have dynamic offensive systems that includes their stars.
    But look at the recent winners of the Championship (the team approaches we should seek to emulate which are universal) – the Warriors and Spurs. Dedicated offensive sets, with not much wasted movement, off-the-ball picks to facilitate offense. Yes of course their stars touch the ball, but everyone is involved and it's harder to defend. Offensive slugs like Bogut end up with easy lobs and high-percentage shots because of their system.

“It's common sense. It's how you win the majority of the time. You don't win in the Playoffs by having 5 Chandler Parsons. You win in the Playoffs by having a star to give the ball to and ask to make something happen”.
    Yes and the sky is blue. But constant ISOs are too easy to defend and too simpleton. Everyone needs to get involved. Imagine how much less of a burden Harden would have if he was run off of multiple screens to get an easier shot ala Rip Hamilton – maybe he would have more energy for defense.

“Why do you think we'll have 'that simple minded approach' to offense as you so put it? Why, oh why do you blatantly ignore the fact JVG WOULD NOT be running the offense? Why, oh why do you blatantly ignore the fact he has said if he were to return to coaching - he would hire a guru offensive assistant.”
    Because I am basing my statements on what I saw when he was here. Hire a guru offensive assistant? You mean like the guru defensive assistant Tom Thibodeau he had working for him?

“Exactly how many head coaching positions have become vacant in the past decade, AND have you heard JVG is openly interested in the position?”
    "the hint is not many, because he doesn't throw his hat into the ring willy nilly"
    Let’s just look at this season and last.

2015-2016/Outgoing Coach
    OKC/Scott Brooks
    Orlando Magic/James Borrego
    New Orleans Pelicans/Monty Williams
    Chicago Bulls/Tom Thibodeau
    Denver Nuggets/Melvin Hunt
    Minnesota Timberwolves/Flip Saudners (RIP)
    Houston Rockets/Kevin McHale
    Brooklyn Nets/Lionel Hollins
    Cleveland Cavaliers/David Blatt
    Phoenix Suns/Jeff Hornacek
    New York Knicks/Derek Fisher

2014-2015/Outgoing Coach
    New York Knicks/Mike Woodson
    Minnesota Timberwolves/Rick Adelman
    Utah Jazz/Tryone Corbin
    Los Angeles Lakers/Mike D'Antoni
    Golden State Warriors/Mark Jackson
    Cleveland Cavaliers/Mike Brown
    Milwaukee Bucks/Jason Kidd
    Orlando Magic/Jacque Vaughn
    Denver Nuggets/Brian Shaw

“The irony is you call people crazy and moronic. But think your post is credible.”

[​IMG]