1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Jvg not interested in Rockets because of relationship with owner

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Apr 18, 2016.

1. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

2. alethios

alethios Member

If JVG was really considering coming back to coach, he would be dealing with the same Dwight that he spoke of back in 2013:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C0o4crq6DNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's a shame that everyone recognizes the talent we have, yet the two most talented guys have created a splintered, fractured team.

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Don't forget there's an understanding that Dwight got SVG fired in Orlando. JVG isn't afraid to pick sides and let it be known. Especially when it comes to his brother

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Yes. A million times yes.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I guess we could look at the bright side, IF Durant goes to DC: he'd be out of the Western Conference.

But let's see how all this plays out.

#225 ROXTXIA, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  6. deshen

deshen Member

If Howard will not be here next season, why would JVG want to coach this team?
    This is more complicated than we think.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think you just answered your own question. Howard not being here makes the team more attractive IMO. Howard is an elite rebounder and good shot blocker. He is either average at best or seriously below average in every other part of his game.

8. deshen

deshen Member

We all know JVG loves tp coach team with super center, who do we have without Howard?

9. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Because Dwight got JVG's bro fired

10. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">One more Rockets note: Sources say Jeff Van Gundy would indeed be highly interested in a return to Houston if that job opens up as expected.</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/722886177561313281">April 20, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. NicaHoustonian

I'm beginning to lose faith in this organization. Morey must go, he has missed on top free agents time and time again and his analytics are garbage. If we want to contend he must go.

12. Nook

Nook Member

The NBA game is vastly different than when Jeff last coached. I will be very curious to see whether he has evolved as well, especially offensively.

One thing is certain, if Jeff becomes the head coach, we will have excellent assistants.

13. AFS

AFS Member

I think most would agree he's much better.

14. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

He has still been very much around the game. I do agree that it has evolved but given the success Thibs had in Chicago, I think Van Gundy's style will still work.

15. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

The worst thing about JVG being head coach - is that he would no longer be a commentator anymore.

He is by far the most knowledgeable commentator going around in the NBA right now.

He speaks when he has something to say, and most of the time it is something insightful and intelligent. The polar opposite of Hubie Brown.

Just listen to him when he is commenting on the Warriors. He says things that teams need to do defensively in this instance. What they need to do if this were to happen. If this mismatch were to occur etc etc etc.

And then you watch it unfold and they show him to be spot on.

I can look past the possibility of a very subpar offense with him back, because I know 100% we'd have one of the best defenses in the league.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

So cyber appears to have been largely off base. Charge it to the game

1 person likes this.
  17. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Right now I'd take the Ballboy & the angry Latino Security guard as our head & assistant coaches over JBB at the moment.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Doesn't take that many years off to realize that this current team needs a mentality overhaul. They have talent... there's just zero focus and zero consistent effort.

The best coaches tailor their game plans to suit their teams strength. Riley was showtime with Magic, ground/pound with the Knicks. Phil maximized the Lakers in the first 3 peat around Shaq, and in the later years he seamlessly integrated Pau to complement Kobe. Poppovich has done it all... from defensive/pace-slowing, to run-gun, to geriatric hot potato.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

cant wait to see that comb over flapping in the wind as he sprints down the sideline cussing and yelling instructions.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

[Hubie]

You're Jeff Van Gundy, you've been living in the city of Houston for over a decade now, your kids are getting to the age where they're gonna be going off to college so you can, if you want, take a more demanding job. You've gotta travel so that's a situation that maybe you can live with when your kids are grown and you've gotta be able to deal with the stress that you're in when that's the situation that you inherit.

It's part of the game, which is played above the rim, at the top of the box these days. A lot of pressure, from all angles. So the question is, do you want to deal with that? Are you ready for that? Now there is plenty of time to make this decision. You're brother is still coaching, you probably call him up and say "Stan I need your advice...Will you PLEASE tell me if you think I can coach again, can I take the grind? Can I be happy? If the answer is yes, then you know that maybe, you've got something to think about.

[/Hubie]

1 person likes this.