1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight has checked out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by slapyomoma, Apr 18, 2016.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Welcome to January.

1 person likes this.
  2. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

He's acting the same way he did when he was heading out of LA

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dwight Howard was -20 when he was on the floor.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/722290253093040128">April 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dwight Howard fouls out. This might be his last road game in a Rockets uniform.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/722290007994712065">April 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. Nook

Nook Member

He isn't THAT bad or obvious. However it is clear he has checked out.... but he isn't the only one.

5. Soybean Fanatic

The problem with Harden and Howard is that they're simply a bad combination, because they both lack mentality-wise.

You can have one of these guys on your team and still be ok but not both, it's bound to end in disappointment.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Harden hasn't done much in these two games to will this team anywhere but a loss as expected. He doesn't get a pass

7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Before game three, empty his locker and leave his belongings on his driveway. His services are no longer needed.

8. Nook

Nook Member

He was "-20" and Bogut was "+20"........

I don't entirely buy into the +/- statistic, and I don't believe that Dwight should get all the blame. It is just a bad situation all the way around... the effort from the team as a whole has progressively worse as the season has gone on.

It is hard to ask a group of players coming off of a WC Finals appearance .... to undergo a coaching change, roster change, get a rookie coach and finish the season 41-41 and expect them to be inspired or excited about playing a team that is 73-9 and has exceptional chemistry.

Making the playoffs was all about Les, and maybe a few players like Harden and Beverly. The rest would rather be home and it is obvious.

9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/2015-2016-houston-rockets-bye-felicia-8336008

Pendergast... has gone nuclear.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I blame it on chemistry -- chemistry with the team, chemistry with Harden, and chemistry in his brain.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

LOL. On JBB: "your offense looks like deleted scenes from a bad sex tape — totally disjointed, utterly aimless, and painfully disorganized."

Dayum. :grin:

12. cmutt

cmutt Member

Criticizing DH on his career, talent, and lack of skills and heart... does not mean that the rest of the Rockets team or organization should be free of criticism.

The rest of the team and the other individuals are entirely responsible for their parts in this whole Rockets mess too.

But this particular thread is focusing on DH's part in the grand scheme of things. And he's responsible for a great portion of the blame and criticism.

Why? Because he's the 2nd highest paid player, who has not even closely lived up to the promise of his potential, throughout his entire career.

He's taken upwards of 200 million dollars through his career so far and given back lazy, lethargic, apathetic, and unmotivated play in return.

So he deserves the criticism he gets from everyone.

His lack of concern and apathy is very noticeable to his teammates, and in turn, they become apathetic too. It really is a chain effect. The players don't trust each other, and they probably don't like each other.

And this is not saying that Harden doesn't deserve some criticism as well... but there's already other threads for that.

Bottom line... we've got a high paid center who has almost no fundamental skills, and who doesn't really care much about the game,

We've got a high paid shooting guard, who has top ten abilities on the offensive side of the game, but not enough focus and determination to make himself an all around super-star.

We've got a GM who sees everything in terms of numbers and statistics, and doesn't put enough emphasis on player personalities, all around abilities, or overall team chemistry.

A GM who keeps stressing his system of 3-pointers, free throws, and drives to the basket... while at the same time, he has never put together a team of players who actually fit those traits.

- no quality 3 point shooters
    - very few quality FT shooters
    - almost no players that can put the ball on the floor and finish at the basket

With all of that, is it any wonder why this team is such a complete mess?

And no one wants to say anything, call each other out, or hold each other accountable...

absolutely NO LEADERSHIP. (case and point)

1 person likes this.
  13. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

He needs to get on cymbalta or something. Dude has chemistry problems.

14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I don't hate Dwight, he was a good player for us and a big pickup at the time...even if certain unappealing qualities have come with him. He did right by this team and this city, so I say this with zero malice:

I can't wait til they move on from Dwight.

When you catch the ball at the free throw line and have to look around to make a pass even though NO ONE is guarding you...NO ONE said, "hey you know uh, like, maybe one of us should go stand by that guy or something?"

So I say this now: I like Capela. His effort, his athleticism, he's even come up with a one-dribble drive that's had little return but it's nice to see the addition anyway... I just don't want to see them roll out Capela if he can't at least muster a jumper when it's BEGGING to be shot. A turn around, lil' dream shake action? A bank shot? Geez come on, I know the NBA is a different game than the all-post game of yesteryear. Just seems a complete opposite mentality that you want to spread so much, run and gun, 3 and D...but you allow one guy to be on the court who does nothing but ruin spacing? who does not belong on this 47 ft of court?

I think one of the few revelations this season has had in store....is Beasley's 2 pt game. If Capela could mimic that, the kid would be a superstar.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL....Beasley is a very skilled offensive player who was 3rd in the nation in scoring in college as a freshman, all american, conf player of the year etc - if Capela had Beasley's offensive skill set he'd have been the #1 pick in the draft and probably be talked about as a future superstar along with Anthony Davis and KA Towns

He's got about as much chance of mimicking that as you or I do.

16. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Dwight with a real coach?

I hope he doesnt.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

At this point I just hope Dwight doesn't opt in for another year. His game has deteriorated to a point where it's actually better if he fouls out quickly.

18. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

What if Harden and Dwight played like they had something to prove instead of resting on their laurels and own selfish needs?

It's really sad that the Rox have two of the more unstoppable forces in the league and both can't help sabotaging themselves. I believe Harden will look back on these years and realize that he could have done better in the effort and leadership dept.

I doubt Howard will ever figure it out. He complains and commits fouls like it's his second year in. I watch him grab some rebounds and think "man he can still be a beast" but on the next play he'll overtly commit an offensive foul, complain and flash that ****-eating grin like "oh you're wrong and that's bull****"

You're ten years into the league Dwight. You're wrong.

19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

LULZ YA U KNO WUT MAY B WE DON NEED NO STINKIN OFFENSE SKILLZ

Or maybe Capela could work on it, develop SOMETHING in the way of an offensive skill and be 10x as effective next year even if he isn't the reincarnation of hakeem.

btw, if that's a challenge to my shooting skill, i accept. i can damn sure outshoot dwight and capela...and you if that's where your bar is set. i don't fear the charity stripe like this clown ass roster.

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Dwight Howard is the epitome of untapped potential. The guy has so much God given talent, and he still plays like an idiot. He gets schooled by scrubs on a nightly basis. It makes me sad, because the guy is an amazing person, he's extremely nice and down to earth. Harden is an *******, but Dwight? He's a great guy. The problem is, no one is winning a title with just Dwight. All in all, if this series is the end of his Rocket career I can live with it.