1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shaving] Facial Hair Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nick_713, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Used to use a Gillette Fusion and would always get bad razor burn on my neck after shaving.

Switched to a safety razor with soap and a brush (like the set below) and haven't had razor burn once in over two years. You may nick yourself at first as the method takes a little getting used to, but it is a much better shave.

[​IMG]

It's also much cheaper. I use feather blades (just about the sharpest blades available) and you can get a 100 pack for $25 on Amazon. I go through about one a week, so that's 2 years worth.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

As close as a blade on my face. The neck isn't that close, but it's close enough to where you can't see any facial hair, even if you can still barely feel it.

Well, my neck is pretty sensitive so I would always have to do that part real slow. If I shaved with a blade as fast as most guys do, I'd end up carving up my neck like a jack-o-lantern.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

He is hairy man.

[​IMG]

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I used to go clean shaven, and for that a Gillette Fusion or Mach 5 worked just fine. Lately though, I've been keeping a slight stubble, so I got a Conair iStubble. It's got a digital setting on it that allows you to decide how much stubble you want to keep (.4mm, .6mm, .8mm, etc). It's one of the better purchases I've made recently.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Electric all the way. I keep a beard year round. Not some big beard, just a normal one. For my neck I use electric too - it cuts very close. I hate, hate, hate neckbeards but the electric razors I've used don't leave me with any so it's all good.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Just joshing you. Whatever it takes!

In reading this thread, I feel lucky. My beard grows fast but then the hairs are pretty straight and my skin doesn't seem to GAF about how I remove the beard. Sometimes I just shave using hot water and a little soap.

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

HeadSlick is great, I use it for head/face: http://www.amazon.com/HeadBlade-HeadSlick-Shave-Cream-Mentholated/dp/B001FB5ID2

This is a 3 pack so it's a lot cheaper... Probably closer to $5 for normal bottle and it lasts forever (you really don't need much, unlike shaving cream). Closest shave ever... I tried using their razors and while they work... Switched back to fusion. I used to have some razor burn with other products, but no issues with this. I'd say consistency of it is similar to hair conditioner, but it seems to do a better job (at least for me), with regards to razor gliding over skin. I then follow up with non-alcohol aftershave cream (probably has aloe or something). Seems to work well.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Not bad for what can be bought in a mall. Over priced, lower quality versions of the good stuff.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

You are not kidding... its amazing how sharp Feather baldes are. I can get a nick just walking past the sink if I leave the razor on the counter. :grin:

I like Russian blades... currently using Rapira Swedish Supersteels. I can get 100 for about $10. Voskhods are pretty good too for about the same price. And basic Astra SP Platinums are pretty good for about $8 per 100.

I alternate razors between a Weber, Edwin Jagger and a Muhle. I occasionally use a few vintage razors I have (a Gillette New LC open comb and a Gillette British Rocket HD). I have one SE but I'd love to get a Mongoose one day.

10. Bandwagoner

Yeah screw feathers. The old blue (not new crappy white packaged) Persona and Gillette Silver Blue blades are much smoother for me.

11. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no ****

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I disagree with this..simply because it is hard to say what is sensitive skin. Is his skin really sensitive, in the sense that nothing blade-related will work? Or does he have a bad regiment that has made his skin sensitive to blades? Or is his skin just sensitive to multi-blade razors?

when i was younger...tried pretty much everything....different razors, shaving gels, aftershaves, electric razors, etc... i realized you just have to do trial and error and figure out what works for you. Cold water works better for me, although most will tell you you're suppose to use hot water. a lot of people will also say to use alcohol-based products. I use alcohol-free..... I even tried the Wahl bump free electric shaver and it didn't work, other than around the "goatee area"....also tried the bump free single blade razor marketed towards AAs (althought Im hispanic) and it was horrible to use. It worked like a dull blade, IMO. So don't buy into something because it's marketed a certain way..just try different things out. Start with razors and see if something makes a difference...then move on the next thing.

FWIW, I use shave soap mixed in with some Nivea shave gel and use a shaving brush to apply. Then i use a single blade disposable. Not a real close shave, but I get no bumps or irritation. Nivea after shave. Just keep it simple, first. Focus on trial and error with the razor, gel/soap, and aftershave. Also shaving frequency.

13. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Hair Conditioner; I've never tried that option before, but I have heard as well about those women's razors helping out. Thank You for the tips; much appreciated!

I have used Magic Shave before, but it didn't have as much success as I had hoped for.

Glad to know that you have found a really good and effective solution to your shaving issues. I will absolutely look into that as well.

Wish me luck guys, I will definitely keep you all posted on my results very soon!

14. legend215

legend215 Contributing Member

Not sure if anyone else said so but I've tried the Bevel system. It's pretty good actually. I started out last July. Before that I used a T-outliner to shave. On your initial kit you get the single blade razor, brush and a 90 day supply of blade, shaving cream, pre-shave lotion and restoring balm. After some trial and error i.e. getting a neck full of the most hellacious bumps you've ever seen (again my first time shaving with a blade, and I'm 42) the thing I learned the most was how to #1 shave the proper way (as an african american male) and also how to take care of your skin meaning exfoliating and keeping your skin moisturized.

In doing a ton of research I came across what's probably the best invention ever for ethnic skin when it comes to shaving. It's called the Wizker brush (http://www.wizker.com/). Check his videos out on youtube. Ordered it after doing some research when I got that initial case of bumps after my first Bevel shave. I used the Wizker brush for 4 days straight after I got it and you would have never known that I had razor bumps. Have used it every day since then. You can buy it on Amazon for 11 bucks or so but I think they're out of stock right now.

But back to the bevel system. I'm actually about to cancel my subscription. Paying $30 bucks a month and getting a 90 day supply after 3 months of of payment seems kind of steep for what you're getting. But again it forced me to learn how to shave (knowing what direction your facial hair grows and shaving against the grain - https://getbevel.com/get-advice/basics/why-do-black-men-get-razor-bumps) and general care for my face.

I've recently switched back to my t-outliner but I'll give you my routine. Maybe it'll help.

Make sure you shave in the shower if you're using a blade. The best time to shave is when that steam opens up your pores. If you're using clippers I'll get to that a little later. Get a shower mirror and a shower caddy for your shaving stuff

After you finish showering, make sure that the waters not crazy hot (bad for face) but make sure it's still steamy.

Exfoliate your face first. I use Barbary ULTIMATE Natural Face Wash for Men (check amazon). You may want to use a facial cleansing pad or sponge to apply it which wil help really clean your skin.

Next use the Wizker to help with ingrown hairs, bumps etc, Check out https://youtu.be/a7tZQZa0ZwY for more info.

Next use a pre-shave lotion (i'm still using the one from the bevel kit). Use pre shave even if you're using clippers.

* If you're using the Bevel system disregard the rest of this *

After you get out of the shower, pat dry your face.

Shave with the t-outliner or whatever clippers you end up with.

After you finish, immediately wash your face with cold water. Apply moisturizer. Right now I'm using one called Rugged and Dapper Age + Damage Defense Facial Moisturizer For Men (also on Amazon).

Good luck!

#34 legend215, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I can buy a new Mach 3 razor plus blades and use them for like 2 years... the blades are easily sharpened to extend some life. More than 3 blades is trouble though and 2 blade disposables kill my face -- 3 blades seems like the magic number for shaving. I may try the conditioner shaving suggestion seems like it could work.

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Don't waist your money on an electric shaver. I go with Mach 2s and have each set of blades last me about 3-4 months shaving every other day. Us the drain plug on the sink to create a pool of water and rinse in that often. Keep spare needle or whatever to clean between the blades. You want to clean the blades after every stroke, clean in between as well, to keep them sharp and lasting longer. Start with the outer edges of your face and neck and work your way in. Oh the foaming part. Concentrate the cream on key areas you shave.

17. Bandwagoner

Irritation could easily be causing ingrown hairs so following this is good advice.

18. i3artow i3aller

Shaving is for children. Grow out those follicles and start using Bluebeards.
    [​IMG]

19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Just using context from his OP it's obvious multi-blade razors are totally out.

He's also familiar with safety razors so that seems to indicate he's had some sort of experience.

Going through that trial and error is fine for some people. But if the guy is having month long reactions from using a Gillette Fusion, I'm willing to wager trial and error is gonna be a long painful process for him altogether.

Better to skip that nonsense completely and just use a trimmer.

20. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

Any recommendations on beard oils? I've kept a neatly trimmed beard for the past few years, but for the past month and I've let it grow and simply shaped it. Gonna keep it growing out for a little while longer too I think