1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Student loan consolidation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AB423, Mar 30, 2016.

1. AB423

AB423 Member

I want to consolidate my student loans and get a lower interest rate. Anyone know of a credit union or place that they recommend? My credit score is around 730 and I want to get my interest rate below 3% preferably. Thanks a lot!!

1 person likes this.
  2. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

To help answer your question, how much left do you owe (if you don't mind me asking). This would help figure the best route to go.

3. AB423

AB423 Member

About 65k :(

4. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Not to derail, but I would like to know this as well. How does one go about consolidating their student loans? I've got about 15k

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Years back, I consolidated my loans. I was told at the time that Texas law dictated that the consolidated loan would have an effective interest rate equal to the weighted average of the loans being consolidated, even though those rates were a bit high for the market at the time. Anyway, I don't know if I was suckered at the time or if things have changed, but that was my experience. I ended up holding one low-rate loan out of the consolidation so I could pay the high-interest ones quickly and leave that one on a slow burn.

Anyway, no credit union I can recommend.

6. AB423

AB423 Member

Thanks for the input. Did you save a lot in the long run?

7. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I would like to know as well. I just started paying this month. I owe about $16k

8. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Actually brother, this isn't too bad. Some students are 100K+ in debt for student loans.

Be it that yours is less than 100K, you shouldn't have any problem consolidating it. I would check with a local credit union, or possibly your employer might have one?

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Vote Bernie

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

If any of those loans are federal, it may be wiser to avoid consolidating them as they have very favorable protections built in for you.

11. AB423

AB423 Member

I miscalculated, its only 45k haha. My highest interest rates are 6.8% which are unsubsidized and lowest is 3.4% which are subsidized. I just researched a little and a credit union had a interest rate of 7%. There are some other places that offer 4-8% variable interest rate but I don't to want to risk having it become 8%. Some fixed interest rates I saw were 5.8% which I might end up doing just to save a little.

Hell yeah

True they do have favorable protections but I don't think I'll have an issue with job security. I just want to get my interest rate lower and I plan I paying off my loans back within the next 4-5 years.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Wow... I feel pretty fortunate then. I think mine is 2.3%. I only have about $6k left so I'll be glad to get that stuff off my back.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

1 person likes this.
  14. xcamm1

xcamm1 Member

I originally refinanced with Sofi, but just refinanced again to Earnest. Earnest had a better rate and better platform.

15. xcamm1

xcamm1 Member

Use this link below and if you refinance through them we both get 200 dollars

But seriously, I cut my rate from a 3.45 with sofi to a 2.19. (On about 30k)

www.meetearnest.com/invite/stephen629

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It is variable, but I wish I had known about that before paying my student loans off. I would have refinanced them and paid down my debts differently. At least I'll know to check when my wife's loans go into repayment.

17. AB423

AB423 Member

****, lets trade :cool:

Thanks guys, I'll check them out.

18. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Yup, I agree with this. You also are probably not going to find a credit union that can beat your current rate especially if you are trying to get to 3%

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No. The interest rate was unchanged. I managed to extend my term, so I would have paid more in interest than I on my initial track if I didn't later extinguish it, but I resolved a cash flow problem in the short term. Cash is king. So, I didn't save money but I remained solvent. Later, I sold my house and bought another, and in so doing I sacrificed a little equity to extinguish the consolidated student loan. The net effect was to in effect refinance the student debt as a lower-interest 30-year mortgage debt, which again probably means more interest paid in the long run, but a more favorable cash flow structure in the interim.

20. agslai

agslai Contributing Member

Not sure I understand but you may want to look into a 10 or 15 year mortgage with historic low rates. If you run an amortization table between 15 year and 30 year mortgage, the interest variance will shock you.

As far as student loans, try to pay if off as fast as you can with the debt snowball method. Look up Dave Ramsey or Suze Orman.

Sorry man, cash is not king when you have debt.