1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NEWB] PC BUILD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FlyerFanatic, Nov 30, 2013.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Never cheap out on the power supply. If it fails, not only are you out on the power supply but it could fry your other parts too.

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

Any recommendations?

I'm just worried i spend a lot on a power supply and then my motherboard is also fried. Then im F'd. I've spent too much money recently on my surround sound system.

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

Yeah, well that is what i am worried about right now. I need a power supply to try and see if everything else is fine. I don't think it's smart to just buy an expensive power supply without knowing it will even be the only issue.

4. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

If you're worried on spending big buck on a power supply maybe you should consider buying a power supply tester to check if your current one is still functional.

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

I've found someone with a 650W power supply to use to test. Will i fry his too if my 700W wasn't enough?

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Don't go cheap on the power supply. Go name brand. Look @ the rating (bronze silver etc...)

You should be fine with some in the 800 range. 1000 is over kill.

7. Uprising

Just use it to test if it'll power on your pc etc. Then you'll know if that other power supply was a POS.

It's the easiest way to figure it out if you don't have a PS Tester (less than $20 for a tester).

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

10. Caesar

Caesar Member

Ok thanks. I'll do this. The other was not a **** PS either. Corsair 700W. It's probably like 7 years old now though.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You can buy it just to test it out and then return it after you are done with it. Fry's has a 14 day return policy just try to keep the packaging pristine.

but you and I have a very similar problem. Built my PC in Feb and worked for a month until one day while I was gaming it shut off, now it won't turn on whatsoever.

I already purchased a new power supply to see if that was the issue and it still didn't turn on. Then I returned the power supply. I've already RMA'd my motherboard and will receive a replacement one. Hopefully it was my motherboard that crapped out.

The beauty is that all of my parts are just a few months old so they are all under warranty. If I get my replacement motherboard and that still won't turn on, I'll send an RMA request to Intel to get my processor replaced, then graphics card, and so on.

If all your parts are still under warranty, then you are good. You won't need to spend any more money to fix your PC. The only thing you'll lose is time. If I actually have to replace all of my components, it'll be probably 3 months before I have a working PC again.

12. Uprising

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

Yeah i've got a 650W PS to test now. Thanks i've never replaced or installed a power supply so i have to do research on that now and ill update yall on if i was lucky or not.

Just to be sure. If my motherboard went bad also, then a good PS won't matter? It still won't turn on? No lights anywhere?

14. Uprising

Youtube is your friend. I've used it for a number of projects including working on my truck....

Good Luck. It's easy, just remember to unplug the system first. ;)

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

17. Nero

Nero Member

Stay away from the ThermalTake 850w modular - I bought one from Newegg a few weeks back and had to return it for a refund because it was defective, the main connector to the mb delivered no power at all. Maybe it was just a lemon, but that's all it took for me to both swear off that brand for a ps as well as telling other people about it. Love the modular design, but did not love the fact that they delivered a complete lemon.

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

Okay I just tried out the other psu and it runs fine. New power supply it is.

19. Uprising

Great! Good luck installing it!

Those are great PS's that you listed, you shouldn't have any issues.

Lemons happen, every now and then. I've been using a Cougar 850w PS (I liked the build quality and appearance) for at least 5 years now.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Weird... I just started building my new PC and the first parts arrived today, so a perfect time for a bump in this thread.

Caesar, for your build, a 750w power supply is more than enough -- hell, it may be too much. lol. You don't need a 1000w power supply. Few people do.

A good 750w power supply is better than a run-of-the-mill 850w or 1000w one. I've been running my current machine and power supply for hours a day for about 6 or 7 years and it's still running like a champ. The power supply is a Seasonic X-750. Seasonic makes good power supplies. Many of the other manufacturers you'll see the names of actually don't make their own power supplies - companies like Seasonic make them for them and they just slap their name on it. My new Seasonic power supply is on the way... can't wait to build this sucker later this week.