1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are all these former players so threaten by what Steph Curry is doing?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Mar 17, 2016.

1. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

I agree. I find it funny that hand check truthers can't explain why the bad boys Pistons era had teams shooting higher percentages and scoring more than the "soft" game of today despite defenses supposedly being so much better back then. Also, we've been made to believe that fouls get called like crazy now and they let players get away with more in the 80s when in fact the "tough" era had more fouls called per game than today's game. So I guess hand checking doesn't stop great scorers after all. Certainly didn't slow down the showtime lakers.

2. hakeemthagreat

It's not stupid. Hand checking allows you to be more physical and closer to your man. NBA basketball today is night & day compared to the 80's/90's. Now we're getting the watered down commercial NBA.

Curry's a good player. But you young fans are too quick to crown these new generation stars GOAT without having a clue how much the games changed

3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Look at the 2011 season for the Lakers. From the 3 pt line, Odom shot 38%, Fisher shot 40%, Blake shot 38%, and Metta shot 36%. Kobe didn't destroy guys 1 on 1 that year.

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

UH...lol..when people start talking TOP 10 and even some saying GOAT Scorer along with his deserved GOAT 3 point shooter, then YEAH. You need more to add on your resume. If Curry dies tomorrow of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, would this be enough to put him even in the top 30? Maybe. His legend would certainly grow with his baby death. Top 25? Now you're pushing it. BUT TOP 10?? Out of your mind.

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

And like I said before, hand-checking won't do anything to stop Curry's step back jumper.

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

Let's just say if Tiny Nate just came out of nowhere and led the league in scoring(34ppg) and assists(11.4apg) then some posters who just live in the now would be saying there is a new GOAT.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

Well then i stand corrected, though there still is a difference in that Odom is the only one out of that group that could create a shot on his own while Fisher and Blake are spot up shooters and Ron just thought in his head he could create.

8. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

It Allow you to be more physical and get called for more fouls on average and allow higher scoring and higher shooting percentages than today's game.

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm not a young guy. We all saw what Mark Price, Jeff Hornacek, and Reggie Miller did in that era. Drazen Petrovic looked like he was going to break the NBA just like Curry has, had he not died. You cannot shut down a pure shooter with physicality, even back then. They don't need to blow by you to kill you. Good luck hand checking through a screen. Curry is the best shooter I've ever seen. Off the dribble, off a screen, falling out of bounds, or a hand in his face. Doesn't matter, he can make it.

10. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

When did Lebron get "jealousy" of Curry? I honestly may have missed some salty interview of his, but I haven't heard anything.

Also, it's ridiculous how short-sighted sports fans are. Lebron challenged Michael's GOAT status (and still is) WELL before Curry. He was two years younger than Michael when he won his first title, and six years younger when he made his first Finals appearance, not to mention all the ridiculous numbers he put up. Objectively, the only thing Jordan was better at is free throw shooting.

Of course, Lebron has to do it a little longer, but he's on pace. Curry does not have remotely a long enough track record to be in that conversation yet.

11. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

And back in your day, politicians were trustworthy, and kids respected their parents?

12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

he's still playing 33.8 MPG. even if we give him another 3 minutes and up the warriors point differential up another point to account for the extra minutes, they would basically be at the highest point differential ever. and even then, the highest point differential ever (which is the current spurs) would still predict 10 losses at this point in the season, which they would still be significantly overperforming. obviously the wins record is based on wins and not point differential, i was just pointing out that the narrative that it feels like they've barely legitimately lost a game looks different if you consider how clutch/lucky/randomly fortunate they have been in close games.

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

And what about Draymond Green? He also plays 34.3 mpg. Klay Thompson plays 32.9 mpg. Wouldn't you need to make another adjustment to compensate for their reduced minutes?

14. francis 4 prez

not to get into y'all's argument, but i don't think i would call the 2010-11 lakers much of a floor-spreading team. gasol and bynum played 4500 combined minutes that season and certainly weren't spreading the floor out to the 3-point line, even if gasol could make a mid-range jumper.

and artest and odom may have had nice percentages, but a) they weren't very high volume and b) that was mostly with people daring them to shoot and not pressing up on them and opening up the court. artest would literally get left wide-open by teams and odom was coming off back-to-back 32% seasons and probably still had most defenses backing off and betting on his career percentages, even if he wasn't wide open like artest.

15. francis 4 prez

sure, but i was already basically saying the team was a .500 team without curry and giving him credit for all of the positive point differential.

another thing, these aren't that light of minutes these guys are playing. all 3 are in the top 50 of minutes per game (minimum 20 games played), which might mean they play more 3rd quarter minutes in those blowouts because they know they won't play the 4th. with 2 more minutes per game, green would be #6, curry would be #15, and thompson would be #25 in minutes per game. and speaking to their health, even their current total minutes are all in the top 35.

if i had adjusted plus/minus stats, i could maybe guess the impact of 2 extra minutes per game for each of them, but as it is, all i found is normal plus/minus, which is tough to use for 3 starters on the same team given that they each have a huge impact on each other's plus/minus.

based on the On/Off Plus/Minus per 100 Possessions from basketball-reference, these 3 are at something like 27, 26, and 13.5 per 100 possessions. given that gsw average 100 possessions per game, that's the same as points per 48 minutes. so even if i assume those plus/minus numbers are completely independent of each other (which they definitely are not), an extra 2 minutes per game would up gsw's margin of victory by 2.8, which would still only predict a 58-9 record.

so even assuming a generous extra amount of minutes that would put 3 people from one team in the top 25 of MPG, generously assuming they have no fall off in play with the extra minutes, and assuming their plus/minuses are not related, they still would be overperforming their point differential. giving them a more realistic 1-1.5 boost, they would be predicted at 56-11. they definitely aren't being that adversely affected by minutes played.

16. amaru

amaru Member

The hate is overblown. The media is pushing this storyline to reel in casual fans. And it is working.

17. J Hard

J Hard Member

Go back under your rock

18. J Hard

J Hard Member

First off, Curry wouldve been owned in Jordans era, wouldve never made it. Too frail, tooo injury prone and not tough enough to last long term in the old NBA. Curry isnt on MJ's level. MJ would destroy in any era, not be helped by gimmick defensive rules and the extermination of the Center position.

Players like bill lambier wouldve had a field day with this guy. He's gret but only in the touchless era of bball.

Have you seen GS team? these guys are stacked to capacity, their 2nd unit could make the playoffs in the west, surely in the east.

there's so many layers and young kids who never experienced the golden era of basketball will never understand like you.

19. linkz1993

linkz1993 Member

Imagine watching a dude whos like 180lbs wet dominating a sport because of how **** the nba has become ...

20. tksense

tksense Member

Ok... For the lazies out there, I paste some of the text here:

Stephen Curry can deadlift 400 pounds
    By James Herbert | NBA writer

Stephen Curry is stronger than you think. Way, way stronger. Golden State Warriors director of athletic performance Keke Lyles revealed that the MVP's exploits in the weight room are legendary, via ESPN's Tom Haberstroh:

"He's probably 10 times stronger than what people think," Lyles says.

Exhibit A: Curry can deadlift 400 pounds.

The exercise the Warriors prefer is the trapbar dead lift, which is basically a safer way to mimic lifting a giant boulder off the ground. One of the primary muscles that it works? Yup, the gluteus maximus.

"Steph's the second strongest on our team pulling that one," Lyles says with a straight face. "For his size, Steph is ridiculous strong."

Only center Festus Ezeli, who stands about seven feet and 270 pounds, can top Curry on that particular lift. That may be hard to believe, but that core power is the secret that unlocks Curry's magic.

"We knew he was strong," Lyles says, "but when he started pushing that kind of weight, I was like 'This guy is just a freak.'"

As Haberstroh explained in the feature, Curry's insane core strength has helped him stay on the court despite serious ankle issues plaguing him earlier in his career. It's a great example of his work ethic, as Lyles said there's a night-and-day difference in Curry since he joined the training staff two years ago and had him focus on strengthening his hips and glutes.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25207008/stephen-curry-can-deadlift-400-pounds