1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mo The Magician

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BobFinn*, Feb 17, 2001.

Tags:
  1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Is it in Mo's contract that he only play in the first half of games?

Harry Houdini has nothing on Mo.

He will not be back next season with the Rockets.

------------------
    When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view.
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

FIRST QUARTER MO!

nice hops, decent jumpshot, not much else.

couldn't rebound to save a life.

------------------
    The best is yet to come.
    Go Rockets!

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I tell you what, we're never satisfied with a victory. It's like after a win, there is an obligatory "He sucks", or "he is ball hog" thread. Mo mustn't go! Mo must stay! [​IMG]

------------------
    Dream a deadly Dream. . .

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited February 17, 2001).]

4. Francis3

Francis3 Member

The Cat will soon jump in this conversation.

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Mo always score the first points in the home games.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

6. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

To be fair, the offense doesnt run through Mo after the first quarter. You can't blame that on him. They usually go to Cuttino or Francis after that in ISO's or pick and rolls, so Mo doesn't have alot of chances to get boards. Not to say he's a great rebounder though, cause he's not.

------------------

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Mo goes out there every night and gives 110%. He's always playing his heart out and giving great production when he gets the ball. Ever wondered why his productions dips after the half? Maybe because he ISN'T AS INVOLVED IN THE OFFENSE! I have it from several reports, etc. that Rudy absolutely loves Mo and will do pretty much anything to keep him around long-term. I could go on and on (and you guys know I could) but I'm not. Sometimes you just have to realize you'll never convert a non-believer no matter what the evidence. People can be so blind to the truth by their hatred for a player. I'd wager to bet there are some people at cc.net who even crack a smile when Mo, Cuttino, or their favorite Rocket to bash has a bad game. It's truly a sad day when the Rockets have a great team win, good production all around, good defense, go over .500, and then you have to listen to this garbage after the game. If you wondered why I haven't posted much in the past week or so, it's because of topics like this. This place has become so negative and bash crazy it is unreal, even on the most positive of days.

I'll leave you with one thing Bob--

Rockets last year w/o Mo this far into the season= 10-13 games UNDER .500

Rockets this year with Mo: OVER .500

Sure, other players have grown, etc. but if you can't admit Mo has been a positive to this team and that he is the kind of player that could be good over the longhaul I guess there is nothing else to say. If there were grades to be given to topics, this one gets an F-.

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!
    Teams win and lose games, not individuals.

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

8. Summer Song Giver

I was thinking the same thing Bobo, I wonder what Kenny Thomas' numbers would be were he starting.

------------------

9. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I agree with ya the cat. He is a good fit with the rockets, and brings the team the prototypical power forward body the rocks need. He is a unique 4 with his range and dribbling skills. Also, he deserves a little more respect for the defense he's been playing lately. I love kenny, but he was getting abused by clarence weatherspoon tonight, so it's nice to have a 4 with some size, which they didnt have last year.

------------------

10. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I'm with you cat. I love MO T. I wish he were more involved in the offense later in the game. The problem, is we have a difficult situation with KT and MO T. KT deserves starting minutes, but so does MO T. Also, MO doesn't get the ball after the first quarter. I'd love to see more offense go through him. He isn't a great rebounder, but I think he will get better. He's gotten better this far, and will do so in the future.

------------------
    All your base are belong to us

11. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

One thing I love about Mo...he's subtle after a foul is called on him, then right when the camera goes on him you see he clearly mouths "F-CK!" Always, right when the camera gets him. SHEED w/o ALL THE T's!

------------------
    The best is yet to come.
    Go Rockets!

12. RENDIGGLER3:20

Im with Cat also,I cant see how Mo is still getting bashed all the time!

I love Mo and think we should resign him no matter what the dal with Webber is!

------------------
    President of the why in the Hell isnt Langhi playing club!!!

13. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Cat,

I'll leave you with one thing.

Los Angeles Clippers (1999-2000) in 82 games with Mo 15-67

Los Angeles Clippers (2000-2001) in 53 games without Mo 16-37

Based on their current winning percentage, the Clippers will have aboout 9-10 more wins this season without Mo than they did with him last season.

Please don't use the won-loss reord stat in future Mo discussions

Mango

------------------
    Spring Cleaning!!!

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited February 18, 2001).]

14. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Weak analogy. The Rockets lost several games in a row to start out the season going through Dream and Charles w/ a rookie point guard. Then as the old guys got out of the way the coach had to revamp the system to fit a different style.

You're totally stretching to suggest that Mo Taylor has anything to do w/ the significant difference in the record. It is Steve Francis. It is Cuttino Mobley. It is not Maurice Taylor.

------------------
    Good night everyone, Canadian or American. Just remember that we're all bound together by basketball, the internet and the mullet.

(My attempts at trying to sooth over an international incident).

15. The Cat

And the Clips success can't have anything to do with getting a new head coach, subtracting Derek Anderson, adding Darius Miles, Keyon Dooling, Quentin Richardson, Sean Rooks, Derek Strong, etc. could it? The Clips had a TON more personnel moves than just subtracting Mo after last season. We didn't, so his presence should be shown MUCH more in our record than in the Clips. Mango-- we should care about record more than anything-- it's winning games that counts. And we are winning more games with Mo Taylor at PF than without. Period. That is VERY relevant.

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

16. Achebe

Hilarious Mango. [​IMG]

------------------
    Good night everyone, Canadian or American. Just remember that we're all bound together by basketball, the internet and the mullet.

17. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Q, Miles and Dooling are rookies and aren't supposed to make that much of an impact. Strong doesn't play that much and Rooks is a backup journeyman.

We should care about record more than anything.
    Its OK for you to use stats to prove your point, yet there are excuses to explain away a similar stat that I used to prove my point? Interesting concept.

Also, a team with as much change as you suggested should have a huge adjustment period.

Mango

------------------
    Spring Cleaning!!!

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited February 18, 2001).]

18. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

i personally like mos game..the reason he doesnt avg more..hes not the focal point of the offense..and the reason the clips record is better is do to those guys actually have some chemistry this yr.. i still think we get cwebb and mo will resign for our 4.5mil exception afterwards..

------------------
    How Sweet It Is! How Sweet It Is!
    Gene Peterson on the rockets winning the 1995 championship over the Orlando Magic

19. The Cat

When trying to measure a player's value in wins/losses to a team, the only way to do that is by looking at the player INDIVIDUALLY. The argument of the Rockets record and Mo's impact on it is stronger than the argument of Mo's impact on the Clippers record simply because there are several variables thrown into the equation with the Clippers. Those 5 guys I mentioned all have contributed in several ways for the Clips this year, and they also have a new coach and new attitude. If you are trying to compare offseason acquisitions to present regular season records, Mo was about 1/10 of the Clippers changes. He was 100% of the Rockets changes personnel wise. Therefore, its pretty logical imho that the Rockets record with Mo is more of a reflection on him than the Clippers record without him.

------------------

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

20. Achebe

Mo wasn't the 100% of the Rockets offseason changes though. They changed an offense based around Chuck and Dream to one based on Cat and Steve.

You're totally stretching to even imply that Maurice has the Rockets at .500. That's simply bull.

------------------