1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas family sues over "under God" reference in pledge

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rockets34Legend, Sep 17, 2003.

1. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

For the umpteenth time......we are NOT A DEMOCRACY. Democracy is mob rule. We are a representative republic. And where did you get this information?

2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Yes, it is a complete sentence that is filled with prep phrases and appositives.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Falcons Talon, you have quite a temper.

4. Falcons Talon

Why would you say that? I have been very calm in all of my posts. I haven't lost my temper on a BBS in years.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

;)

6. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

You teach at a private Christian school, right? If it's too personal, you don't have to answer.

7. Falcons Talon

Oh that...I was just responding to his telling me to get over myself...I had a smile on as I posted that.

8. Falcons Talon

Absoultely not. In teaching American Literature, we study the ages of the literature of our country...Age of Faith, Age of Reason, American Romantacism, American Renaissance, New American Poetry, Realism, Moderns, drama, and the contemeporaries.

In helping the kids to understand the writing, the have to understand what motivated them to write in their particular style. Puritan writings we study are taken from journals and historical writings. The Puritans saw a direct connection between Biblical events and their own lives. Am I to deny these kids an education beacuse they allude to the Bible in their literature?

It's our literary history. It's my job to teach the literary history of our country.

9. GreenVegan76

Oh, I agree 100-percent. You *have* to give kids context for what they're reading.

10. Friendly Fan

Friendly Fan PinetreeFM60 Exposed

I don't know where you got your degree, but you didn't learn much. It is terrifying that people like you are teachers.

You can't even frame the issue, muchless understand it.

11. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

1. We are a democracy. People who say otherwise are fascists and should consider leaving this country if they don't like it.

2. I never had a problem saying the pledge , but I can see where others would. If someone does not want to say it, they shoud not be forced to.

3. Should the pledge be outlawed ? No , of coure not. But it must be optional.

4. Suing to have the word "God" removed from everything is stupid.

5. The teacher who started all this should be fired .

12. Falcons Talon

If you are implying that in my explanation, I am telling the kids what religion to worship, or what religion is right, or even that I am telling them to believe in a religion, you are completely off base.
    If it will make you feel any better, when I refer to whom they Puritans worshipped, I always refer to him as "their god".

This is a perfect example of how a minority wants to change the status quo. No student, administrator, or parent has ever had a problem with the way lessons are conducted in my class, but two, maybe three outsiders looking in are so quick to judge how my teaching is immoral and unconstitutional. Sue me or shut the hell up.

13. Falcons Talon

I've been trying to tell you guys that a susbstitute said that. I doubt she has a job in Abilene ISD anymore.

Other are doing their best to make it sound like a certified teacher said this.

14. GreenVegan76

Dude, you don't have to be rude. I was *agreeing* with you.

15. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

Oh okay, but if she does still work there she should be fired. Something negative should happen to her, thats all I'm saying. It's real easy to pick on little kids.

16. Falcons Talon

Yeah, I know. I really wish my professors, wouldn't talk to you about me. I sure wish my transcripts were private as well. While you have intelligence under a microscope, can you tell me how I did on that last essay?:rolleyes:

17. Falcons Talon

I'm sorry...the asterisks threw me off. I took it as sarcasm...my sincere apologies.

18. Falcons Talon

Agreed 120%

19. Friendly Fan

Friendly Fan PinetreeFM60 Exposed

I have observed your consistently childish demeanor, so how you scored in the university that would accept you is irrelevant. The world is full of college grads who did well in school, but couldn't pour piss out of a boot with the instructions written on the heel.

You obviously know little about American history, and your literary interpretation of America based upon the Puritans is laughable. They were one small, rather sad story in America, and aside from the legal significance of the Mayflower Compact, were a largely negative force in early America.

A child was humiliated by a teacher over the pledge. You had no idea of the history of the pledge, and your ignorance is part of this thread for all to see.

If you don't want me to think you a childish, ignorant, reactionary person, don't be one.

#99 Friendly Fan, Sep 18, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2003
  20. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Friendly not so friendly today. :eek: