1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephan Curry is unguardable...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sugrlndkid, Oct 31, 2015.

1. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

I hate Curry the way I hated Kobe 8 years ago, yeah I am just salty the fact that he is not on my team. I will respect him when he retire possibly, but not now.

2. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

The kid was insane when he was in college at LSU...

I know he had a illness that he was fighting....

T_Man

3. legend215

legend215 Contributing Member

LOL..not insane but he does have Turrets
    When you can overshadow Shaq as a player in college, you're doing some good things

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf...you can't compare a 19ppg game 40% (in his peak season) player to an MVP.

Just because he had some great games against great players - you have to do it consistently. And he did not, not even for a season.

5. legend215

legend215 Contributing Member

Sweet Lou, don't read too much into it. The comparison is a "style" comparison. Abdul-Rauf when you look back was an anomaly back then. There weren't too many PG's doing what he did back then. The game at the time was about the low post. The game now is based around the perimeter. The conversation being had by a lot of people since Phil said that is that put Steph into that era and Abdul-Rauf would be a good gauge for Steph. Put Abdul-Rauf into today's perimeter based style and he would have better success. His style is pretty much perfect for today's era.

Besides, Abdul-Rauf went up against some of the better defensive PG's who have played.

#685 legend215, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  6. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Abdul-Rauf was one hell of a shooter, with possibly the quickest release I've ever seen until Steph Curry came along. However, Curry is also a great passer, a decent defender, can drive on you and finish at the rim, has more speed, and has a midrange game. Mahmoud had little else going for him beside the 3-pt shot.

I do think Abdul-Rauf would have been a consistent All-Star in today's NBA. But he wouldn't be anywhere near as good as Curry. He can be shut down by a good defender.

7. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

He's a horrible gm? I'd say he is pretty good.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lOB8omfPtRw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

fake ... the NBA 2K16 Curry can't even make that shot.

10. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

lol yup... this was one of the funnier tweets last nite.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“<a href="https://twitter.com/Da_Warden305">@Da_Warden305</a>: Lmao RT <a href="https://twitter.com/HDKG">@HDKG</a>: Man 2k fake as ****. I want my money back! <a href="https://twitter.com/NBA2K">@NBA2K</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/Ronnie2K">@Ronnie2K</a> <a href="https://t.co/0XtIdFYCvv">pic.twitter.com/0XtIdFYCvv</a>”</p>&mdash; Wale (@Wale) <a href="https://twitter.com/Wale/status/703824001479495680">February 28, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. Ronkol

Ronkol Member

Except;
    - The 90 defenses have been shown to be not nearly as good as you younguns think. Yeah I watched those days: The athletes were slower, were less well trained (old methods, less endurance, worse food). It's amusing you think those guys were the pinnacle of Basketballe. And to drive that one home with Thors hammer, there are analytical breakdowns that dismiss this as fantasy. The 90's were fun, but they were not as fantastic as people make it out to be.
    - Abdul was nowhere near as good a shooter
    - Abdul didn't have such a handle
    - Abdul missed the courtvision
    - Abdul missed the passing and drive that makes guarding Curry so hard.

I seriously understand people not linking Curry, I think he's a little punk.

But this salty "but the 90's were soooo much better" is tiresome. Like it or not, Curry is MUCH more than just a good shooter. He's transcendent and changing Basketball. There are a few who have done that before... and considering he's doing just that should give us some notion of where he end up.

Will he be GOAT? I don't think so, but will he be in top 5? Yeah, pretty sure he will be barring a career impairing injury. His impact on the game is a pretty good indicator here.

12. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

What the hell? The 2k16 Curry has a way slower release than the real Curry.

13. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I would lock down that lil b****

But honestly ariza or somebody should guard him not short ass Bev and ty. Need someone with length to swat him

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

He got guarded by Durant, Adams, Roberson etc vs. OKC and by other big guys in recent games, it doesn't matter. His shot is just way too fast to block, he shoots right in the face of 7footers that are right in front of him.

15. andersongo

andersongo Member

Curry shot twice shot with Steven Adams, a legit 7-footer thrusting a hand in his face. Both times, it was nothing but net.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think "style" is right and nothing more. I watched every one of Jackson's college games (huge LSU fan back then). Never seen a player like him since, until Curry TBH with the way they can move and shoot at will. There are plenty of perimeter players that are "on" and focused defense can stop them. With Jackson and Curry, when they are on, there is no defense, other than constant traps, against them.

Jackson might even be better than Curry in these areas - a quicker player, creativity at the rim (have to overcome his 6'0 frame from being blocked) and creating for himself. But he is not close to be anywhere near as accurate a shooter, was a horrible defender (yes, even relative to Curry's defense) and not nearly the passer.

Also, he doesn't have the work ethic or mental make up. Once he made it to the NBA (he came from poverty), he have made it financially for him and his families and lost his game. He came into the league overweight, was a huge disappointment and never really recovered.

So other than style, which they are similar, there is no comparison.

BTW, comparing their style isn't new - plenty of folks noticed years ago:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/1kvuvg/mahmoud_abdulrauf_aka_chris_jackson_giving_jordan/

17. BackdoorHarden

Phil Jackson still mad at the Warriors because Kerr signed with the Warriors after Kerr already told Jackson he would take the Knicks job.

Last year, he said Warriors would never win a championship because 3 point shooting teams can't win. "HOW THOSE 3 POINTS SHOOTING TEAM DOING NOW?" After the Warriors fell down 2 to 1 to the Grizz.

Heck, everyone in the NBA hates Curry.

The NBA Player made Harden a runaway winner in the MVP.

The former NBA Players all say Curry sucks and only doing this because today's NBA sucks and they would kill this Warriors team.

I have never seen such hatred in my life.

Must be the lightskin and the Christian lifestyle. Lightskin dude needs to get out more instead of hanging out with his 2 kids and his wife, and his dad...his mom...stop hanging out with your family!!!

18. BackdoorHarden

And the Spurs tried Leonard on him and he made Leonard into a joke just like he did to Adams and Durant. He was making those shots with dudes that had hands in his face

Shot is too quick. I don't think he even see those 7 fter

19. BackdoorHarden

2K has not updated Curry's rating to 2016. He's way better player this year.

Last year, he was second to Harden in the MVP race. This year, he will win his first MVP and most improved player.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

http://www.pastapadre.com/2016/02/0...ic-level-in-nba-2k16-with-latest-ratings-move