1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephan Curry is unguardable...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sugrlndkid, Oct 31, 2015.

1. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

It's pretty obvious you have an axe to grind with Curry (and, I guess, this entire era of basketball) but this is getting silly. Dell Curry didn't have as fast a release as Steph Curry and, more importantly, he didn't have the ability to shoot off the dribble like Curry. That's what separates Curry (as a shooter) from just about every other shooter who's ever played...how effortless and accurately Curry shoots the ball pulling up off movement. Great spot-up shooters like Steve Kerr, Dell Curry, Kyle Korver, etc, excelled mostly when they got to shoot the ball from a standstill and set position. Even star shooters like Steve Nash, Reggie Miller and Ray Allen rarely fired off the dribble and were not nearly as accurate as Steph when they did.

That's, of course, not even to go into the fact that Dell Curry wasn't on the same planet as Steph in terms of ball-handling, passing and finishing at the rim.

2. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

You got me... That's the real issue...

T_Man

3. TheBeard

TheBeard Member

On pace to have the greatest season of all time, old school fans stay delusional.

4. omgTHEpotential

Put any shooter from any era in today's game and they aren't even close to Curry.

5. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Steve nash. Had he chose to shoot more instead of passing.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This x100. The people in denial are absurd, currently there's no answer and things like full-court defense would make it much worse.

And all that nonsense about him not being great in the old NBA, it's nostalgic bullsh**, do you guys even watch in how many ways Curry scores and is ridiculous at? This guy is unstoppable and can get a shot off at any time and no matter what situation, he would have done this in any era.

7. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/703804083560280064[/twitter]</blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

How's that sound to those who feel that older players know what's up? ;)

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I'm now doing this little game after each Curry performance:

The critics please tell us how the old hand-check rules would've prevented each basket.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/quI--kovXgI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I am 100 percent convinced that pop is planning some special kind of defense on curry and wont display it until the playoffs.

10. Postcall

Postcall Member

Defences are much more difficult today than in the 1990's. I dont know why people say otherwise. The 90's rules were made for scoring in the paint with all the restrictions they placed on defense. Those 90's guys would be shooting far worse in the paint that today's guys. Jordan himself was never a good 3 point shooter(except when they moved the line in for 2 years)
    You are free to disagree but here is my source.
    http://therdsports.com/2013/06/19/the-mythic-1990s/

Offenses have gotten better yet the scores remain the same or in many cases lower on average.

11. Asian Sensation

Not even close.

12. Karolik

Karolik Member

curry is shooting 45 percent on 3's on a large volume of 3's....no one in history that best that.

13. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I honestly thought he broke his ankle. Like it was cracked in half when Westbrook landed on it. Did any of ya'll gasp and wonder how life would be without Curry? The NBA wouldn't be as fun anymore. I'm so glad he came back, and he wasn't injured. Curry is a real time video game. We should feel blessed to be witnessing this! Hope the amazing Curry continues!

14. Mr. Dominant

Holy ****. Curry had 10 3's last game, and 12 3's tonight.. WOW.

15. omgTHEpotential

No...

16. i3artow i3aller

17. Mr. Dominant

He did all that vs OKC in those nasty ass tshirt tight jerseys.

ANYTHING is possible, if you're Curry?

Looks like Lebron sucks, hence him not liking the tight jersey tshirts? Hahahahahaha.

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

The Jordan couldn't shoot 3's thing is overblown and a bit silly at this point. He didn't take enough to get a rhythm and it wasn't his strength. Why jack up long contested 3s like Kobe when MJ could score at will in the paint by drive or post. That said, when MJ took enough 3's, he made them at a better percentage than some of the best shooters of today(not counting the 2 years the line was moved a foot closer):

89-90: 3 attempts per game from 3, 37.6%

92-93: 2.9 attempts from 3, 35.2%

And though he only played 17 games in 95, he shot 50% with 2 attempts per game coming off of 1.5 years away from the game and rusty.

This notion that MJ couldn't shoot 3's in this era that would make him work on the 3 is stupid.

Playoffs too.
    1987, 1.7 attempts for 40%
    1991, 1.5 attempts for 38.5%
    1992, 2 attempts for 38.6%
    1993, 3.8 attempts for 38.9%
    1995, 3 attempts for 36.7%

Please....MJ would be a scrub in this 3pt driven era right? This era where the lanes would be wide open for him to attack and meet scrub big men at the basket instead of the greatest big men he did meet in his career.

Curry is having an amazing season, but relax on this goat talk. It happens all the time. Anyone remember the Kobe days? Remember how many people were getting way ahead of themselves and saying Kobe was GOAT? Relax. Just enjoy it. He is the GOAT shooter for sure though. But, this overall goat talk is just plain silly. Magic can say that in 4-5 years of this play, he'd be GOAT, but i still wouldn't buy it. MJ was not just seen as GOAT on offense, he's seen by many as GOAT on defense or at minimum top 3 non big man defenders of all time. This is a "What has he done for me lately?" world until that subject himself becomes what has he done for me lately like Kobe of the 2k's and LeBron of now.

19. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

All the Curry's nuts riding is annoying.

I experienced Kobe's nuts riding.

Lebron's nuts riding.

Now it's Curry's turn.

I am in a Curry's thread afterall. :|

20. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

I don't know who you were quoting when you said "skill" but it certainly wasn't a word I used to describe flopping. Let me be clear, it's an unfortunate facet of the game that is often used against larger/more physical players to get cheap fouls.

Also, I'm open to changing my mind, it's just kind of hard to do that when the only way you criticize points are just saying they're "dumb" without any effort in a justification. I'm not asking for people to be nice, just put some effort in an assertion.

Let me clarify my position with the older players. They say things that imply that they could just waltz into the modern game and drop 30-50 pts every night no questions asked. I think that's a very narrow-minded and ignorant assertion. Now, would they be able to adjust to the ticky-tack style of today's game and arguably yield a slightly higher production? I don't know but that is not a crazy assertion at all. They're professionals, I would expect nothing less.

But that conclusion is double-edged. Would I think that modern players be able to adjust to a more physical style of play? YES, in fact, there are many that would arguably benefit from a more physical style of play.

To address your point about older players having to score against more physical defenses: their offenses were also allowed to be more physical since they could get away with more. They essentially had more ways to score (which is consequently balanced by the defense having more leeway) since the game wasn't as tight.

To address your point about Curry's physique: This guy's a workaholic, you really don't think he would adapt/prepare his body for a more physical style of play? His current physique is built for a specific game, and assuming he would have the same body in different era is an unpredictable assumption.

To sum up: I don't think there's any real way to know how effective players would be in different eras. I do believe that some players are transcendent and likely could be dominant across many eras, but that doesn't mean they would necessarily have a wide variance of production across eras. In general, athletes adapt to the game they play. Changing the rules doesn't negate an athlete's ability to adapt.