1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump 2016: Yes. We. Can.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Honey Bear, Aug 5, 2015.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That seems like a spot on analysis of the problems the Republican party has these days.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The problem for the party is that they could ride that coalition to success in prior years by ultimately nominating people that didn't really fit with what the clowns wanted but that they'd go along with anyway because they were so scared of the liberal demons. Now? Never before have Americans had so much information and power over the party system.

The GOP is facing it first and hardest. They can't stop the crazy train that they created and embraced in order to get their own guys elected from nominating guys that none of us want.

3. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

You described me !

4. TheresTheDagger

Listen, I'm as shocked and dumbfounded as you are about the rise of Trump. I consider myself as angry as any voter about leadership in Washington over the last 25 years. And yet, as a Republican leaning voter I never blamed the party "establishment" (much) for their inability to stop Obama. We have a government of checks and balances and until conservatives occupy the Presidency as well as control of the Senate and House, nothing could get accomplished. The best they could do was to stop Obama's agenda and/or put forward bills that would simply be vetoed anyways.

I honestly don't think the public at large that so voraciously supports Trump (or Sanders for that matter) understands this simple lesson in civics.
    They don't realize (or care) they are SO CLOSE to controlling the Executive and Legislative branches if only they would vote for a person like Rubio or Kasich. All they seem to know is they are pissed and want to "send a message". It defies logic. It defies pragmatism. It is not reasonable.

Now granted, I know it goes deeper than that. The do nothing Federal Government has been happening for decades now and of course politicians in general are distrusted and these are also part of what drives the anger.

Having said all this, I think its dangerous for Democrats to assume Trump is going to lose in the general election. This is the same mindset that Republican "establishment" folks took and look where we are today. Hillary is as flawed a candidate the Democrats have run since Michael Dukakis. And she is establishment. The anger is still there. The desire to stick it to the establishment by many is still there in both parties. Hillary just doesn't excite the democrat base like Obama does and turnout will be down. I've heard some pundits state that Trump could reach and get 20% of the Democrat vote...."the Reagan Democrat". And lets not forget the looming FBI indictment that sits like a huge boulder teetering over the top of her campaign.

I'll just end with this. Don't underestimate Trump. He's running an incredibly smart campaign. Its really gaining momentum. And its working.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Which is why if Trump does get the nomination, EVERYONE needs to get out and vote against him. Preventing a Trump presidency is probably the most important thing that anyone could do. Most elections don't really matter, this one does.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

But this right here is the problem. Talk radio, hard right wing blogs, facebook posts, etc. have created this illusion that the Republicans in the House and Senate have failed to stop Obama's agenda out of weakness, cowardice, or worse as many of them suggest, agreement. Hannity is constantly making the "power of the purse! OMG!" argument, El Rushbo claims the establishment agrees with Obama, Levin smashes them as cowards who betray voters, Savage calls them traitors, etc. etc. etc.

I'm not underestimating. I think he can actually get elected president, though I think it unlikely, by doing what conservatives have claimed democrats have done; riding a wave of low information voters to the white house.

7. TheresTheDagger

Don't get me started on Hannity, Levin, Limbaugh, Colter, et al. While they are all seemingly intelligent people, they are also far right ideologues with WAY too much influence. I keep waiting for the day Fox gets rid of Hannity or switches back to a Hannity and Colmes format (with a stronger Dem co-host than weak Colmes) just to bring sanity to that program.

I do have to say, with Hannity apparently joining the Trump train...he stands a chance of losing his audience with the way he has shown such favoritism and his inability to call out Trump.

8. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Keeping the republican establishment out of the White House is the most important thing anyone can do. Rubio is a far more terrifying candidate...

I think Trump has been fantastic for politics. Trump standing on stage acknowledging the purposeful lies that lead to the worst catastrophe in generations (Iraq War part 2) was absolutely awesome and something the entire establishment GOP needed to hear. Trump is the only one with the stones to stand there getting mercilessly booed and keep hammering the message.

Bravo, Trump. Bravo.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, well I guess you'd rather have Hillary. That's the option here. Either the race is Rubio vs Clinton, or it is Clinton running unopposed.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If Hillary is knocked out of the race due to complications related to her crimes while Secretary of State, it could be Sanders running unopposed instead of Hillary I guess.

11. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I know you only look at things in binary terms, but I wouldn't discount Trump's ability to win. Only fools are still discounting this guy's chances at this point. The guy has political skills that most politicians can only dream of.

I am not a big fan of Hillary but I think she'd do a decent job. If it's Trump vs. Hillary, I am going to have to think long and hard on who I'd vote for. If I had to choose today, I'd say I want Trump over Hillary.

I would vote for Hillary against any other GOP candidate.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

When it comes to Trump, recent history has shown that we are in uncharted territory and any "professional" analysis is worth crap... until it's right.

13. Major

Major Member

You've already told us before that Hillary had zero shot to win the nomination.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, well then it's win-win for you. You'll get Hillary as the president and the best way to ensure that is if Trump wins the Republican nomination.

I expected an indictment to come before now, maybe they've found a way to prevent it altogether. If she can avoid having to go to court as a result of the crimes she committed while Secretary of State, then she's a lock.

15. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

You are getting way too emotional about this Trump thing.

IMHO, American political system need a overhaul. That might be a very hard thing to do. But at the very minimum, ppl need use this election to send a message to disrupt the system a little bit. The current system is just too corrupt, too ineffective to get anything done.

Electing Hillary Clinton achieves nothing. She is part of the problem and the face of the establishment. She is a fake liberal. In fact she plays whatever role the polls telling her to play, for personal political gain. She is greedy, arrogant, untalented and sometimes stupid. I don't know why anyone will choose to vote for her.

Say whatever you want about Trump, but he has been running a marvelous campaign so far. In fact I don't think I have ever seen a campaign like that before, spending so little money while achieving so much. Saying outrageous things is just one of his tactics. I don't think he is that crazy.

I think with Trump being the president, democrats and republicans might have chance to agree with something for once and get something done. Still a long way to go and anything can happen, but at least I hope.

16. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

Very well said. I couldn't agree more.

17. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

My prophetic analysis and understanding of the American people has me leading from the front - as usual. Read all my posts in this thread for a dissertation on forecasting trends. You start listening to losers on TV - you're asking for trouble.

Xoxoxo

18. TheresTheDagger

Hold on their professor. It's a long way till November.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Enjoy it while it last. We'll see.

20. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member