1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 16, 2015.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

The pick doesn't actually go to the team that lost the player, right?

You lose the pick, others behind you move up, and the team that lost the player gets a compensation pick after the first round..right?

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

that's what i understand under the current rule set

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm thinking about the old rule.

5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's correct. It is how we were able to parlay Clint Barmes into LMJR :grin:

6. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Turns out I'm not the only one interested in Alfredo Gonzalez:

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2016/2/24/11092664/minor-league-spotlight-catcher-alfredo-gonzalez

7. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

8. agslai

agslai Contributing Member

Wow, Cubs does have a really good lineup 1 through 8. Astros weak spots are 1st, 3rd, and catcher as far as hitting. Hopefully, Bregman, Moran, and Reed can come up soon along with Feliz, Martes, and Mustuve. When Younger Tucker and Cameron are ready to comes up, that will be a sick lineup if they are not traded for veterans.

9. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

2017 Astros lineup could be

Altuve
    Springer
    Correa
    Gattis
    Singleton/Reed/White
    P. Tucker/K. Tucker/Rasmus/Bregmann
    Cameron/Gomez/Fisher/FA
    Bregmann/Moran/Valbuena
    Castro/Stassi/Heinenman

Such a great pipeline of talent too be able to win big now and long term some of these prospects will be stars, some will flame out, some will be blocked and traded for a veteran or younger prospects

10. awc713

awc713 Member

I know teams dont typically do this with good hitters, but I'd be curious to see if Bregman could play C.

Could hope for Jason Kendall-ish production, with high avg/obp.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And then when he hits, will they look to move him to another position (like 2b) in order to preserve his knees?

Let's just say he won't be catching...

12. awc713

awc713 Member

Given our 1.) current roster and 2.) farm's supply of outfielders and infielders, I just think Bregman *may* provides more value to HOU behind the plate.

We need a catcher, preferably one who can get on base. The middle of the infield looks set. So, do we throw Bregman in the OF, despite our current OFers and Daz/Kyle/etc., or throw him to 3rd, where he is perhaps a little undersized?

I don't know much about Bregman; a move to C may certainly be an asinine suggestion. I'm just throwing the idea out there. I'm sure his agent would not be happy about that move, and I doubt Bregman would be excited to make such a change.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is there something in his past that would indicate that might be a move that works? Catcher seems like a position you don't typically hear people just getting "tried at" because other positions are blocked. I mean, you hear of pitchers turning hitters or vice versa more often than you hear of that.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Even if it would work, it would take too much time to learn. Catchers are more valuable defensively per game, but SSs play a ton more games over a careeer and it is much easier on the body. Bregman likely is traded or converts to 3B (if he is more valauble to Astros than what other teams are offering). Bregman, if the Astros decide to trade him, could be the best prospect on the market this trading deadline.

15. awc713

awc713 Member

Yeah...Bregman probably has more value as a trade piece than he would to us as a catcher, given the amount of time it would take for him to adjust.

16. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Odds are he makes the big leagues as a 2B.... but would be thrilled if he gets there soon, as it would justify the high pick.

I don't think the Astros will go out of their way to trade him unless its of the mega-star with years control left variety. Wouldn't be too caught up with other players blocking him at his natural position... this team is going to have some unforeseen needs where his versatility comes in handy (but not at catcher).

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

Shame Castro can't get it together at the plate because he is pretty good defensively.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Highly unlikely Altuve is moved for Bregman. Also, 2B and 3B aren't that much different in importance. As Astros 3B plays SS a good portion on the time against LFH, it may actually be more important. As Bergman is likely best prospect on market if he's on market, Astros would be going after the Tyson Ross's of the deadline.

20. Buck Turgidson

Bregman was the catcher his Jr/Sr years of HS. Moved to SS as a freshman at LSU. Just saying.