1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dominoes New philly cheesesteak pizza

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Houstonrocketss, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Isabel

Isabel Member

Those philly cheesesteak hot pockets are nasty. That kind of sandwich doesn't translate well to a hot pocket. The pizza hot pockets are much better. The idea of a cheesesteak pizza - just sounds like a bad idea.

By the way, I have a public service announcement. Never order the cheesesteak at Applebee's. It does not have actual cheese on it. It's a "cheese sauce steak" with this runny liquid sauce made of no telling what.

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Category 5 member? lmao. :D

I'll never go to applebee's. One of my friends got food poisoning from there and was in the hospital for a few weeks.

3. Buck Turgidson

Not defending the food quality at Applebee's or anything, but "authentic" Philly steaks have Cheez Whiz on 'em. Personally, I prefer provalone.

4. Houstonrocketss

You guys are gonna be floored about this but Chili's makes a damn good philly cheesesteak sandwich.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

That's the only kind I eat, my friend. These two places are the most authentic in town. I recommend both of them.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Cheez Whiz? Is that true? Isn't Cheez Whiz like cheddar cheese?

I've never had a philly cheesesteak with cheddar on it. My cheese has always been white in color. Then again...I don't know where to get an "authentic" philly cheesesteak at? Who first started it in Philly(if it even originated there)? If I ever visit Philly, then I will go there.

thanks

7. Buck Turgidson

Here's the recipe from Pat's King of Steaks where it was "invented":

Serves 4
    24oz thin sliced rib eye or eye roll steak
    6 table spoons of Soya bean oil
    Cheese {we recommend Cheez Whiz®} American or Provolone works fine
    4 crusty Italian Rolls
    1 large Spanish onion

Optional
    sweet green and red peppers sautéed in oil
    Mushrooms sautéed in oil

Assembly
    Heat an iron skillet or a non stick pan over medium heat
    add3 table spoons of oil to the pan and sauté the onions to desired doneness
    remove the onions
    add the remaining oil and sauté the slices of meat quickly on both sides
    melt the cheez Whiz® in a double boiler or in the microwave
    place 6oz. of the meat into the rolls
    add onions, and pour the Cheez Whiz® over top
    garnish with hot or fried sweet peppers, mushrooms, ketchup

Put on the theme song to the first Rocky movie and enjoy!

www.patskingofsteaks.com

8. freeflowin'

freeflowin' Member

pat's is excellent.

geno's is ok.

other than that. i have not had anything come close to these two guys outside of philly.

oh, and chicken cheesesteak is also really good.

9. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Have you ever had Sandwich King's Cheesesteak?

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurants/reviews/rsv1274.asp

There are two in Houston:

5242 Hollister, Houston, Texas 77040

6615 Long Point, Houston, Texas 77055

10. Isabel

Isabel Member

WHOA!!! Cheez Whiz?!? Sweet peppers?!? KETCHUP?!?!?

OK, it appears that there is a such thing as an authentic Philly cheesesteak - and it blows. Maybe the non-authentic ones are better?

What I always thought was a cheesesteak: the meat of course, sub roll, grilled onions, white cheese (provolone is best; definitely something that is composed of actual cheese molecules and comes from a natural process), and grilled mushrooms and/or bell peppers. No sauce.

There is a big difference between Cheez Whiz and cheddar. Cheddar is actual cheese, real stuff. Cheez Whiz is an amorphous blob that originated in a laboratory and tastes like it. It may be the result of some sort of mutation. It has the consistency of pudding; it does not solidify and it does not melt to make a solid "melted cheese". Avoid.

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Never, ever eat a 'Philly Cheesesteak' if you aren't in Philly or South Jersey.

Oh, and since when did authentic Philly cheese steaks all have cheese whiz? Most of the vendors I go to for lunch don't use the stuff. Pat's and Geno's both do, but personally I prefer the grease sponges they sell at street vendors.

12. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

I'm shocked, absolutely shocked you have all failed to mention:

[​IMG]

And apparently you can order online in Austin.

13. Buck Turgidson

Agreed with all on the Cheez Whiz...it's nasty, nasty stuff. I preferred the one's I had in Philly without, even at Pat's. Provolone is what it's all about.

Here's Robb Walsh's take on cheesesteaks, Jake's, & Cheez Whiz:

http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/2003-02-20/cafe.html/1/index.html

Jake's Philly Steaks rocks, rocks, rocks. Just as good, if not better, than any I had in Philly. Their Chicken Philly is awesome as well, if you're feeling extra adventurous (or heretical, however you look at it) throw a little ranch dressing on it.

Texadelphia is vastly inferior stuff.

14. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

hey dharocks u live in philly? nice to meet a fellow rockets fan thats also from my hometown. i usually go to geno's cause it is closer

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I have a question:

Is there any difference between Papa John's NEW peperoni pizza and his old one?!

They are selling a large new pepperoni pizza for $8.99 right now, and I can't tell if there is a difference.

16. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Has anybody ever actually eaten cheese whiz?

Apparently it's can't be that bad, because from what I hear, the lines for Pat's and Gino's are usually around the corner.

Gimme a cheese wit...

17. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

There is a new cheesesteak place in Houston in a strip mall near Reliant Stadium at the intersection of Buffalo Speedway and the 610 West feeder road. A friend of mine told me it was good but I have never been there. I usually abide by the adage repeated earlier in this thread...don't eat a cheesesteak unless you are in Philadelphia or South Jersey.

18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Has anyone been daring enough to try the Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich at McDonalds? I would think that would be an insult to the great sandwich.

I also concur that do not get a Cheesesteak from Applebees - or anything else - that cured me from ever going back.

19. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

There is a chain in Houston called Pizerria Uno. It is awesome. They have one location at Kirby and Richmond, or they did a couple of years ago.

20. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Actually, Pat's and Geno's are the second and third best steaks in Philly.

For the best steaks, go to Jim's on South Street.

Seems to me that it's about a 50-50 split between people who get it with Cheez Whiz or provolone. I think both are great depending on my mood. And yes, I use ketchup. And spicy mustard. And sometimes hot sauce.

The one thing that's for sure about an "authentic" steak is that it has beef, not chicken. Not a whole lot of places to get a chicken cheesesteak in Philly...

By the way, I've had a steak with PA governor Ed Rendell, and he got it with Cheez Whiz. If it's good enough for the governor, it should be good enough for y'all. :)