1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao vs. Dwight video (I miss Yao)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RiceDaddy7, Jan 31, 2016.

1. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

No one could stop Yao. If they actually called fouls when he was being defended, he easily would've averaged 12-13 FTs per game

2. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Look how high Dwight jumps back then.. and he was a lot quicker too. A healthy Yao would completely shut down the current Dwight.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Dwight is better than Yao for sure. Yao intelligent fun. Dwight playful fun. Dwight tho could play elite defense and get to the rim at will. Both could be Hall of Famers.

4. Rox11

Rox11 Member

If Dwight kept his high school body instead of exploding his shoulders he might of been able to move more freely

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

This is false, Yao was never top 5 in MVP voting.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I love how there are still YOF types who *still* think that Yao was basically Draymond Green until JVG ruined him by making him a post-up threat.

Never change guys.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm still amazed that people were enamored with pulling a guy who was 7'6" AWAY from the basket.

8. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

Man, i miss that team so much, landry, Yao, scola, artest, Mutumbo, so much heart, current team even if combined would not have more heart than one of these player

9. ibm

ibm Member

yof?
    draymond green?

where did you get that, esp. from my post? you must have a very unique way of thinking, and think you can read people's minds.

how silly.

10. ibm

ibm Member

pulling him away from the hoop? who said that? anywhere in this thread? or you made it up out of the thin air?

11. kidhoward12

kidhoward12 Member

Dwight is a much better player than Yao. I know a lot of rocket fans love to nut hug yao like he is a hall of fame type player, but he really isn't. Injuries held him back. Nothing changes that. Dwight would probably be a top 5 center all time if not for injuries. This team would be worse with Yao. You are mad with dwight not playing? Lol. Yao played like 5 full seasons. Yao was REALLY TALL. That is the only real reason he was good for a few years but also why he got hurt. He could just go over people. Had a nice post game but isn't mind blowing. Was a good player that could have been.

BRING THE HATE

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, so frustrating on that. If he didn't get hurt Hou probably could have won that year... LALs had no answer. Also if McGrady wasn't broken it definitely would have been an even better season...

13. beardsanity713

Lol thats what you consider hate

If you actually read the comment i said "weak minded" not soft

Hell yeah i would take Yao over Dwight any day

&& yes i will be glad when he is no longer a rocket

its my opinion you dnt have to agree

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I think people either forgot or just don't know how much of a machine Yao was on offense. If you take injuries out of the picture (tough to do with Yao, I know) Prime Dwight vs Prime Yao is a really tough call.

15. kidhoward12

kidhoward12 Member

I think people either forgot or don't know how much of a machine on both sides of the ball Dwight was. Had PG speed, highest vertical reach ever. Could jump out of the gym. Overpowered everybody. Owned the paint like no other. Could lead a team to the finals. Played 82 games every year up until his back injury. In all star games he was the main guy. Top 3 player in the league. Should have been MVP and was in discussion many times. A great role model everyone respected. Now people act as if he took a dump on their mothers and is like kwame brown. It's crazy how fast things change.

16. kidhoward12

kidhoward12 Member

I also must say Dwight never reached his prime. He got hurt around 26-27. Literally on the brink of his prime. Had his best numbers right before it. Imagine a league without injuries. The NBA would be so entertaining it would be ridiculous. The talent would be so much. Greg Oden might be tearing it up.

17. sew

sew Member

Name me another 7'3+ player that was as good as Yao? Yao was insanely skilled.

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm a huge Yao fan. I became a Rockets fan because of him, but he had some pretty glaring weaknesses that stopped him from being a superstar.

1) Stamina. He would be visibly gassed during games and couldn't finish strong. Surprisingly, this became less of an issue later in his career.

2) Mobility. Almost a deal breaker on defense. We couldn't beat Utah primarily because he couldn't guard either Boozer or Okur.

3) Fronting. If only he could catch a lob pass. There are so many ways to beat fronting, I still have no idea why this such a Yao-specific issue.

Still, the guy was a beast and you never questioned his effort (Harden) or focus (Dwight). Even today I miss watching him play.

19. ibm

ibm Member

on the same token, what if yao didnt suffer that many injuries?

no if's, no but's.

when both healthy, individually yao was a much better player, imo.

if you bring "achievement" etc. into the picture, then yeah, dwight has achieved more in the nba, ofc. but that to me isnt the right way to compared players, not that individual comparisons mean a lot to begin with, anyways...

20. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

No competition.