1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ABC ships uranium, could face investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GreenVegan76, Sep 11, 2003.

1. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

VERY interesting points raised in this story.

washingtonpost.com
    ABC Ships Uranium Overseas for Story
    Federal Officials Call Test a Crime

By Howard Kurtz
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, September 11, 2003; Page A21

ABC News says it has exposed a crucial weakness in the nation's port security system by shipping depleted uranium from Jakarta, Indonesia, to Los Angeles. Federal officials say the network seems to have committed a crime.

"We feel this is a very valid and important test," ABC News spokesman Jeffrey Schneider said yesterday. "This is what journalists do. . . . It was not our intent to defraud the U.S."

But Homeland Security Department spokesman Dennis Murphy said that "it appears they violated the law, and the Justice Department is taking a look at that. Does a news organization have a right to break the law? Can a reporter rob a bank to prove that bank security is weak? My understanding of journalistic ethics is you don't break the law in pursuit of news."

The government's response to the undercover operation by ABC prompted a strong letter from Senate Finance Committee Chairman Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa) to Attorney General John D. Ashcroft and Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge.

"I would urge that significant caution must be used by the federal government to ensure that legitimate reporting is not chilled," Grassley wrote, adding: "If my neighbor told me my barn was on fire, my first instinct would be to thank my neighbor and get some water for the fire. . . . Time and again, I find federal agencies devoting enormous time and energy to attacking whoever put the spotlight on a government mistake."

The report by ABC's Brian Ross, scheduled to air tonight on "Primetime Thursday," involves 15 pounds of lead-encased uranium put in a teak trunk along with other furniture in Jakarta, a terrorist hot spot.

Shipping depleted uranium, which cannot be converted to weapons use, is legal. But Murphy said the network "failed to disclose the contents accurately, which is a false declaration."

Schneider countered: "Do you think terrorists are going to fill out a form saying they're shipping uranium? That's the point of the test."

The two sides differed sharply on the importance of the test. Murphy said depleted uranium does not give off the same radioactive signals as the active kind, and that federal devices "are geared up for the real thing."

But ABC quoted a nuclear physicist with the Natural Resources Defense Council, which provided the uranium, as saying that if federal inspectors "can't detect that, then they can't detect the real thing."

Murphy also contended that his department used its contacts to crack the case. But Schneider said the government was notified only after an ABC camera crew identified itself to a truck driver hired by the network, who had become suspicious that U.S. Customs agents had missed something at the Los Angeles port.

ABC questioned why federal investigators interviewed some of the network's staffers, demanded their videotapes and showed up unannounced at the Washington home of the NRDC physicist working with the network.

Murphy said the agents did not know that reporters were involved when they began their investigation. He noted that terrorists, such as members of al Qaeda, have posed as journalists in the past.

ABC also breached port security last year when it shipped the same batch of uranium to the Staten Island, N.Y., port.

2. johnheath

johnheath Member

The ABC news crew should be charged with a crime, because we can't let people smuggle in uranium and then say "we were only trying to help".

After a short jury trial, in which the ABC crew is acquitted, they should be given medals.

3. Timing

Timing Member

They did this same test last year I believe shipping to New York from Turkey or something. Why is it illegal now? :confused:

4. GreenVegan76

It's not illegal. But they didn't label the contents appropriately, which is illegal.

I admire what ABC did, but I agree with johnheath -- charge them (it WAS a crime, after all), watch them be acquitted, and give them medals afterwards.

5. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Either that or now more terrorists know that our borders are not that strong and my try to bring weapons into the country.

What if Al-Jazeera did this test in the US?

6. Friendly Fan

Friendly Fan PinetreeFM60 Exposed

then it would be just one more good reason to bomb them

why haven't we already?

I consider them a legitimate target, and wish they had been bombed a long time ago.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I am always amazed at how the news announces our vulnerabilities as if they are providing a service.

"How crooks are able to break into your house...tonight at 10pm!!!"

Gee, thanks.

8. GreenVegan76

Will a crook steal from your back account tonight? We'll give you the ATM numbers tonight at 10 o'clock!

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol...that gave me good memories of channel 2 news. i'm in austin now so i don't get to see those guys as much.

10. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

I REEAALLLY think you misunderstood my post. And with your thoughts about bombing news agencies, you call yourself 'friendly' ??