1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's the middle of the season...NO RESPECTABLE HC is going to latch on to this team mid season.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't want him fired, I think he WILL be fired, because Les is tired of the lackluster results.

GM's with job security would be trying to build for both this year and the future, but Morey only talks about THIS season now, I think they are all in - and if it doesn't work, I think Les blows it up.

At the VERY least I see him adding a basketball guy above or equal to Morey - to help make decisions about fit of players.

DD

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Rockets can't even stop Danny Green. Issues like that on defense is what needs to addressed not making and missing shots. Guys that aren't shut down by every other team in the league are having career nights on us again.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Because Harden doesn't guard his man causing the rest of the guys to try to cover for his laziness.

DD

6. Dopamine

Dopamine Member

Exactly, at this point I dont give an ounce of **** what he has to say... nothing he says can change how miserable this season & this roster has been. Make some damn moves, find a new coach, start winning games or start tanking, don't want to hear him sugar-coating the turd that has been the Houston Rockets season thus far.

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yep. Some games Harden should just be benched imo.

8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think adding a basketball guy would help - and I think they need a real coach. Morey is in over his head trying to do it all by himself. He's been an expert at evaluating and obtaining existing talent, but he could use help with scouting and with the on-court stuff. I'm hoping they don't fire him.

9. bmd

bmd Member

There is no way Les will fire Morey. If he does, he's an idiot.

Morey built a strong roster.

This season is all on the coaches and players. The players did not prepare property before this season started and the coaches were not able to get them focused and prepared.

Last season they worked hard on defense all training camp and came into the season hungry and ready to show the world that they can lock down defensively. And that mentality carried throughout the season. We could feel the energy before the season even started.

This year they all seemed too loose and didn't seem to have that same hunger. The coaches said they didn't even really get to work on much in camp. Then the season starts and they look unfocused and lost. And that mentality has seemed to carry throughout this season. And we could feel that too-relaxed attitude before the season even started.

Josh Smith coming back did seem to spark the team. But they are already behind where they need to be because of the slow start to the season.

This season is not on Morey. He did his job. He bolstered a roster that went to the WCF last season and was expected to compete for the title this year. It's the coaches and players who are to blame because they didn't live up to their end.

1 person likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with all of the criticisms of Harden's laziness, but, BUT, JB is between a rock and a harden place (see what I did there) in terms of benching him. Harden was high scorer with 20 last night, bench him and we would have lost by 50. So I don't see how benching solves much of anything, not to mention the issue of the Harden's attitude problem which would certainly increase with James having less playing time.

Somebody has to figure out how to motivate Harden to be a two way player. Until then . . . we got nothing. :(

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

To emphasize defense which JB says he's doing you gotta become a defensive minded team to do that you gotta bench Harden and let the team become that then as they grow bring Harden in to see if he can adjust as long as Harden keeps playing soooo much this team will never get there defensively. Harden just isn't buying in to it defensively.

12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I understand looking at scoring but if the Rockets truly focused on play D first and foremost spurs wouldn't score 130 and Harden's 20 points wouldn't be depended on as much. Keep final scores in the 80s and 90s. Then once we get used to it the offense will be there.

13. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

This a million times over

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Are you ****ing kidding me?

Did he really say that? Thats pretty downright stupid even for the things he's said before .

Yea lets completely ignore the defensive effort...the rockets just didn't make shtos :rolleyes:.

"Should have lost by less, not 30." ---complete loser mentality right there.

15. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

This was probably the most non-informative interview I've read on this thread so far. Morey basically offered no insight and where he did, it fell flat on its face. The difference between Christmas and yesterday was DEFENSE. When the Rockets were making shots (at one point our FG% was well over 50%) - we were still down double digits!! And any self-respecting contender doesn't quantify success by losing less badly - they want to WIN. Morey's either lying to himself or lying to us.

16. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Morey is the master of avoiding tough questions and being broad about his answers. He totally dodged that D-Mo injury question and misdirected them.

17. Dreamlead

Dreamlead Member

For those interested in listening to that interview, here's a link:
    http://www.sports790.com/onair/the-...daryl-morey-on-the-proper-gentleman-14322112/

Just thought I would say, it sounded to me that Morey was just replying to the question about why the Spurs scored so much as opposed to the Christmas game. When he talked about made shots, I think he meant the Spurs made their shots not sure much about the Rockets making shots as many are thinking here. He elaborated that they put too many people/collapse too much on defense leading to those open shots.

18. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

If Morey could hire a good head coach, nobody wouldn't play defense
    u can see Banner playing defense in SA

19. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Morey didn't understand what the team's problem was
    No elite coach! The coach group should all be fired

20. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

There's a reason that opponent FG% is usually one of the better indicators of a team's defensive ability... For anyone that watched the game it was clear that the defensive intensity was lacking. Missed/made shots makes it seem like luck, and 30 point wins aren't the product of luck. It's the product of a systematic advantage of one team over the other that's exploited over and over during the course of 48 minutes.

1 person likes this.