1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do I make Taqueria restaurant style bean/cheese burritos?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Swishh

Swishh Member

I know it's a simple because of only 3 ingredients, but as I said, the taste differntial from a homemade one and a Taqueria is different. From what I've gathered, the reason for this is because the Taqueria uses more "authentic" tortillas and asadero cheese. I think that's what I was missing.

2. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Yeah go make some fresh tortillas they aren't hard to make!

3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

HEB has good frozen tortilla dough

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Taste exactly the same? Are you poco loco? You're not going to be able to duplicate the taste so don't even try. Just make your dumbed down version best you can. You might be able to make it taste as well or better but exactly the same? Go work in their kitchen and you can probably figure it out. Eat there and forget your wallet. Then, you can work in the back washing dishes to pay off your meal and sneak a peek at how they do it.

Just get take out. Hay Caramba! Dios mio! ;)

5. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

some things are best unknown. I suspect Buck's right. Lard. You're cooking too healthy.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Op, are you using canned refried beans or making them from scratch? Are you making homemade tortillas?

The answer to question layeth inside your answers to my questions.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Go buy some burritos and ask someone there what kind of cheese or beans they put in it. I think there's a good chance they'll help you out with a hint or two, if they believe you're just fascinated with them. As them how they make their beans or even if their tortillas are made in-house.

What place are you referring to? I'm still kind of surprised they cater to vegans.

8. Buck Turgidson

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lj60OAh7O5U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. Swishh

Swishh Member

I used refried beans before but I know the restaurant uses ordinary pinto beans - so thats what I'll use. As for the tortilla, it's store bought Mission brand. Do you know of a more "authentic" tortilla brand from your typical grocery store?

10. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Secret ingredient for amazing beans:

[​IMG]

11. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

Yup great for quesadillas too

12. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

ghettocheeze. The cheese expert. Trust him. And get that cheese.

13. Swishh

Swishh Member

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

google "mexican style pinto beans"

tortillas look freshly made to me...but i think you'll be fine grabbing some flour tortillas from a mexican bakery. The store bought flour tortillas are crap.

15. Swishh

Swishh Member

Thanks for your help in this thread. So the beans are not from a can, most likely? And I think the cheese is the biggest mystery.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The cheese actually looks like it might be melted into the beans at the end, right before spooning into the tortilla, instead of after being wrapped in the tortilla. This makes sense for a street-vendor variety as the way to melt the cheese into the beans like your picture.

Cheese looks like either an Oaxaca cheese or queso asadero. Oaxaca is a string cheese common in quesadillas. Asadero also melts very well, and used in fundido. Or maybe just a Monterey Jack. All are common in burritos.

I think the key here is your burrito doesn't look stringy like a quesadilla. Although, there are quesadilla's that come out that way, too...my preference. I'm betting they have a big pot of melted cheese that they spoon into the burrito, rather than place the cheese on fresh, which will melt less and be more stringy. Or they melt the cheese into the beans at the end.

17. Buck Turgidson

If you can't take the suggestions in this thread, go to a store, buy ingredients, then trial-and-error it in your damn kitchen there is literally nothing we can do to help you further.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Doubt it..probably freshly made. Just ask what cheese they use.

19. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

What RV6 said. dont be scared and ask what cheese blend they use and if they prepare their beans in any spices or meats.

It aint hard bruh stay away from packaged foods no restaurant is gonna be servin mission tortillas canned beans and sargento cheese yeah?

the last thing you need to do is make tortillas which is very easy with a quick google search. the one problem is restaurants will have a big tortilla steamer that keeps tortillas soft moist and pliable. theres probably an easy alternative that doesnt require a big machine so you should be good.

look at all the people that helped you out man. we better get an update with pictures of some damn good burritos!!

20. Barca

Barca New Member

You authentic tortillas? Go to a Teloloapan or a Michoacana meat market and ask for fresh tortillas, they only make a certain amount so go early in the day.