1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Henson gives up baseball

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

The report from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1609596

TORONTO -- So much for those rumors that Drew Henson was going to quit baseball right away.

The New York Yankees called up the former Michigan quarterback from Triple-A Columbus on Thursday.

"Drew is going to be a backup for us," Yankees manager Joe Torre said after a 3-2 victory at Toronto. "He gives us that one extra guy."

The AL East-leading Yankees can use an extra infielder going into a three-game series against Boston beginning Friday night.

Shortstop Derek Jeter is not expected to play against the Red Sox because of a strained rib cage. Reserve infielder Erick Almonte strained his right calf Wednesday and is expected to be sidelined for a week.

Henson hit .234 with 14 home runs, 40 doubles and 78 RBI at Columbus this season. He also struck out 122 times and made 28 errors at third base.

There had been reports in the last week that Henson was headed to the NFL. The Houston Texans picked him in the sixth round of the NFL draft in April.

After Columbus played its final game last weekend, the 23-year-old said he'd take six to eight weeks off and think about his future.

Henson signed a $17 million, six-year contract with the Yankees when he left college after his junior season in 2001. He was considered the Yankees' third baseman of the future at the time but has struggled in the minors.

Henson's path seemed blocked when the Yankees acquired All-Star third baseman Aaron Boone from Cincinnati at the trade deadline.

Six-foot-5, 220-pound Henson has shown power, but he strikes out about once a game. His struggles at third base prompted talk that he might be shifted to the outfield.

Henson made his major league debut last year with the Yankees. He went 0-for-1 in three games.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

what a ringing endorsement! torre reportedly waffled between "He gives us that one extra guy" and "He's breathing."

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I think the Yankees just wanted to screw the Texans in getting a good deal out of this.

4. Buck Turgidson

I don't see how this "screws" the Texans or is a big deal in any way, shape or form. Henson & Casserly both said that nothing would happen until the end of the baseball season. This just pushes that timetable back a little, since the minor league regular season (I have no idea if Columbus is going to the playoffs) ends 3 weeks or so before the MLB regular season.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Why would they want to do this?

6. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

What's probably happening is the Yankees are demonstrating goodwill to lower their contract buyout.

7. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

I don't know REIT, I think it might have the opposite effect as this might refuel Henson's false hopes of being a major-leaguer one day!!!!!

8. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Not after he goes 0-4 at the plate with a couple K's.:D

Plus i wouldn't be suprised to see the NY fans boo him for talking about going to the NFL. This should be intresting.:)

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Sean Salisbury is a jerk. Clayton and him were discussing what Henson should do. Salisbury said Henson should enter the 2004 Draft and be a first round pick. Clayton said Henson should sign with the Texans and be traded to a team of his choice. Salisbury then said the Texans could hold Henson hostage. Clayton replied team of his choice. Then that jackass Salisbury asked Clayton when was the last time you put on a helmet and jock strap. Oh shiet some scrub is resorting to I played in the NFL so I know more than you. I'm so glad Bucky Richardson beat his ass for the starting job with the Oilers and Salisbury got waived in the preseason.

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Excuse me for the rant. He didn't have to pull out that card and make Clayton look like he didn't know anything.

11. Buck Turgidson

Salisbury *is* an ass. No apology necessary.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Hey Sean Salisbury, didn't you used to co-host Battlebots? Yes? OK? Good, now shut up.

13. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=nyy

did yall hear about this??

Hut-hut: Henson recalled from Columbus

So much for those rumors that Drew Henson was going to quit baseball right away. The Yankees called up the former Michigan quarterback from Triple-A Columbus on Sept. 4. "Drew is going to be a backup for us," manager Joe Torre said after a 3-2 victory at Toronto. "He gives us that one extra guy." Henson hit .234 with 14 home runs, 40 doubles and 78 RBI at Columbus this season. He also struck out 122 times and made 28 errors at third base. There had been reports in the last week that Henson was headed to the NFL. The Houston Texans picked him in the sixth round of the NFL draft last April.

he probably won't get any real playing time with'em, but i think even Henson himself was surprised to get this call. i hope he totally stinks it up so it still works in the Texans favor. In the meantime, root for Aaron Boone to get hot..

#33 killtaker, Sep 6, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2003
  14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Att: Henson your not good enough to play baseball. You either must not want to be smaked around by 325+ head hunters, or you like to fail at what you do.

Don't be a loser.

#34 Roc Paint, Sep 6, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2003
  15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think what is likely happening is the Yankees are calling him up in hopes of lighting a fire under Boone's ass...and it just may work. If they get Henson up and he gets an early, meaningless AB where he gets a hit, Aaron Boone might realize he actually has competition now and start hitting too. Because I seriously can't imagine that the Yankees wouldn't be glad Henson was willing to forgo all that money that he obviously is not worth (in baseball). If he quits like is rumored, then the Yankees luck out and don't have to pay. Why not just let him go?

16. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Calling Henson up may serve a dual purpose. Other than sending a message to Boone, perhaps they want to hasten Henson's exit by smacking him with a dose of reality. If he's overwhelmed by major league pitching, maybe that would seal his decision to leave baseball for good.

Who knows, maybe his agent facilitated this so Henson could have savor his retirement from baseball. "Bring up Henson and we'll give up the balance of the contract."

I really don't think bringing Henson up changes anything regarding the Texans.

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Henson made the ESPN Highlights tonight.

He fell down on the way to scoring from 3rd on a base hit as a pinch runner.

Now the stage is set for Henson to join the select group of those who have scored a run and a touchdown. ;)

19. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Drew Henson is to the Texans, as Hershel Walker was to the Cowboys.

D-Y-N-A-S-T-Y.

Drew Henson = Dominant Offensive line?

Drew Henson = Premier defensive playmaker

Drew Henson = actual starting caliber safty

Go Texans.