1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RG3 about to be released

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaDakota, Jan 11, 2016.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You saw it in his rookie season too. The reason he rose so quick with just one year in the league was because he could stand in the pocket and shred teams too. I think people forget how great he was, there was a legit argument that he was better than Luck and had that same potential.

Now, he's still going to have scrambling speed. That he can pick up a quick 7 yards (which is HUGE in a game.) so that alone is worth it. He may not have that break away speed any more that takes a 7 yard scramble into a 40 yard one.

Would be a shame if the Texans don't even have interest in him, I think they'll look into it though.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well, it's not either or.

They can acquire RG3 and draft a QB. If RG3 looks like his old self then great, if not then you have another QB to work with along with Savage.

Potential at QB is exactly what this team needs. Unless the vet is Drew Brees or something...the last thing the Texans need to do is sign another journey man QB and hopes he's good enough.

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Damn you guys are delusional about RG3. We should make a sig bet or something, and I even like the guy. Baylor doesn't run a pro style offense. They usually just combo a post and go and use speedy receivers to force the safety to make a tough decision. There were reports during RG3 success days about never having a playbook at Baylor. I actually feel bad for the guy, but you guys just haven't followed him very closely in DC. The prima donna and aloof stuff is not a big deal when you're winning. So for me, it doesn't matter that the O-line and the receivers hate him, but some people care about that. What matters is that he sucks as a pocket QB in the NFL, and sadly, he's too brittle as a read-option QB, and he's not the same as 2012. Shanny ruined his knee (which was already gimpy), and he's had serious injuries since then. We all can see that Wilson and Cam have successfully incorporated read-option into their games, but more importantly, have found much success as pocket passers. RG3 is not NFL good at that. He holds on to the ball way too long, having the worst sack rate per drop back last year. Again, it's not his fault. When he only had to make one LB read on the option play, everything else became easy. But he doesn't have the athleticism anymore (bc of Shanny combined with RG3's brittleness) to consistently run that. Also, he doesn't want to run read-option. He and his father were politicking after 2012 to make him a Payton Manning-like QB and criticizing Shanny for running read-option. That doesn't matter to me, for a strong head coach will just tell him to shut up, but like the prima donna stuff, it matters to some front offices. So forget about the aloofness or being hated by teammates or going around the head coach to complain to ownership about the offense or telling the coaches not to show bad plays of him in film study (all confirmed by local DC media over the years). While that can be an impediment to some teams, to me, it's all about being a successful winning QB. He's sadly way below NFL level as a pocket passer without the threat of running, and that's all that matters. He's done, going the route of Tim Teebow and Vince Young. Some dumb team might get him a sniff and a start here and there. But he's not going to start more than 8 games next year, and even fewer the year after. I'll sig bet that.

#63 Kim, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    2 people like this.
  4. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Too cornball. Do not want

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to take a shot on the guy, especially considering the texans quarterback situation. If he doesn't work out, so what? Low risk high reward

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Because for those who have watched him closely since 2012, that's just like asking a team to take a shot with Vince Young, Tim Teebow, Brady Quinn, Josh Freeman, anyone out there. It takes away time from any player with a legitimate chance. Many here are of a different opinion than me and think Robert has a chance to succeed. It's not much of a chance in my book, just a complete waste of time that can be applied towards another QB.

7. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Did rg3 ever recover from his injury?

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Thanks for the info Kim

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Yes, but he hasn't looked like the same athlete in 2012. He tore his ACL for the 2nd time, in addition to tearing his LCL (which wasn't known at the time when he tore his ACL), and had a torn meniscus. Since then, he's had two concussions and a dislocated ankle. So he's recovered as much as he can, but he's not special anymore. :( He's just in a catch 22. When he has run a lot, he gets hurt (ACL first complete tear, ACL sprain, ACL 2nd tear, LCL tear, meniscus, ankle dislocation) and when he passes a lot, he gets hurt (2 concussions) because he holds the ball because can't read defenses w/o the threat of the read-option.

#69 Kim, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Maybe if Chip Kelly goes to another NFL team he'll be a good fit there, but yeah he doesn't make any since with BOB's scheme.

11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

The difference between rg3 and those guys is huge, and you know it. I don't even like the guy much, but:

1) multiple ligament tears to knee--after a couple of years, a young guy can show some additional recovery signs.

2) he was way better than any of them at his peak in the nfl

I understand why neither of those things are *likely* to help him come back. But he's way better of a chance than the guys you threw out there because of some possibility with those factors...therefore, I can't see why you would be against checking in and giving him a look. (When combined with zero qbs in the org)

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Would take a flyer in him but wouldn't guarantee him anything... You cant put al of your chips in on RG3 but this team needs to upgrade the competition at QB.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

People's lazy perceptions.

There's no risk in bringing in RG3 just as long as there's a QB taken high in the draft. RG3 has no leverage and a LOT to prove. He also has this thing called TALENT.

If he's not a fit then cut ties. Simple as that.

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This would be my biggest hesitancy in bringing him here. I've read in places that he really struggles to make proper reads and run an NFL offense. I've read in other places that something Bill O'Brien values the MOST in his QBs is the ability to process a lot of information really quickly and make the right decision. His offense is that complicated. Just seems like a really bad fit from that standpoint.

But if he comes cheap, I'd absolutely be willing to give him a shot. But as others have stated, do not change the plan to draft a QB (and not a 3-7th round QB either). Get someone you believe you can mold. Doesn't matter if they are a year away. But someone that shows promise in all the right areas for B'OB's offense. Then you can have an RG3, Weeden and Savage battle for the starting spot in training camp with your rookie QB riding pine and learning.

16. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I think kaepernick is the guy best suited to learn from this offense.

i really hope, regardless of what happens, that ob really looks into rg3 or kap, instead of waiting on hackenberg or some other two ****s quarterback

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think if O'Brien has proven anything, it's the ability to adapt. He can adapt his offense to the person running it.

That said, nothing matters until it's known what RGIII thinks he's worth on the open market. If he still wants starter's money, you can't sign him. That's too big of a risk, IMO. MAYBE he has adapted. MAYBE he has learned a lot by watching this season. If the deal is right, I'm fine with giving him a shot. If it's a long term deal for starter's money, I'd rather draft one in the first couple of rounds and keep Savage around.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Do not want RG3. Or Kaep. If I had to choose between the two... I would choose RG3 because he would get injured quickly and we could move on.

19. htown1984

htown1984 Member

LOL- really so you would choose a player just because you think he will get hurt?
    How about picking a player and hoping he does great for us-
    thats what a true Texans Fan would do-

I would support either Kaep or RG3 (At the end of the day) we had to go through
    Hoyer, fitzpatrick, Mallett, Weeden

20. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member