1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets fire Lionel Hollins, GM Billy King "steps down"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Nets just announced that they've fired Lionel Hollins and that Billy King has stepped down as GM.</p>&mdash; John Schuhmann (@johnschuhmann) <a href="https://twitter.com/johnschuhmann/status/686227707311591424">January 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Wow.

Fire sale incoming?

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Great coach, wouldn't mind him joining and doing this with some of our players:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fWM39CtA9bQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

Get Lionel!!!! Nobody can sail that Nets ship, Hollins is still a great coach.

5. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I thought it would happen at the end of the year.....

What's next for Brooklyn????

T_Man

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Guys I would be interested in:

Bogdanovic
    Brook Lopz - injuries seem like a past. Dude can still create his own offense and is one of the remaining good low post players
    Hollins

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

We just fired our coach
    Our GM just stepped down
    We're not very good
    But at least we have the draft to look forward to! Oh wait, no we don't.

They don't even really have assets to sell off if they wanted to.

Joe Johnson's $24M expiring contract?
    Good-when/if-healthy Brook Lopez?
    Thaddeus Young?

#8 J.R., Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

How did the Rockets manage to lose to these bums twice?

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I would take Hollins on this team though it would be at complete odds with what Morey is trying to do.

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

@WojVerticalNBA: Who is running the Nets for now? Unclear within organization. Almost all learned of firings via news release.

m.twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA

12. what

what Member

Who would even take that job? Hollins never even had a chance with that team.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The Russians are coming. The Russians are coming.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Billy King getting fired only 5 years too late

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The Nets might be worth acknowledging in 3-4 years. Maybe.

Quick, someone do a franchise with them on 2K and document the trades you do. Let's see how long it would take for them to become good.

16. Fantasma Negro

Well I guess he's available for that defensive coach position now

17. lilbird20

lilbird20 Member

If only he had accepted our offer to basically be the co-head coach of our team before last year, things would probably be a lot different here. But he was prideful in having to get a HEAD COACH title somewhere. Now, Hollins and McHale both fired shortly after he decides not to come.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hollins wasn't coming as an assistant.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Lionel Hollins says he was waiting on the Lakers job decision and if they didn't choose him, &quot;I'm out of the league for another year again.&quot;</p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/status/486160152085532672">July 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Fire Sale. Garage Sale: One man's Junk is another man's treasure.

And, man, poor JJack. I guess it was the best timing for him to go down now, instead of a season later, when he might be playing with a contender.

What a year for the Nets though. Actually, once the "Super Team" was disbanded, it was all down hill. Once you lose DWill, The Truth, KG and Lopez (for an extended time due to injuries), there's no coming back.

The sad thing is that roster. Where's the future? There are some decent pieces, but nothing special. Though, I do like Larkin's game.

Hollins is a pretty good coach, so I've heard. The way he had the Grizzlies playing was awesome. I never have seen ZBo so focused and playing so unselfishly until L.H. started coaching him. I like his intense approach to defense.

To be fair, it's been said that he has a VERY short fuse and has difficulty taking feedback/suggestions from players and assistant coaches.

I wonder if he had trouble managing the vets with a bunch of inexperienced players filling out the roster.

As for Billy King...His signing/trades/draft picks have been questionable. He never surrounded A.I. with enough talent in Philly, in my opinion. His trades were questionable, and when he got a good vet in Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson, he treated him poorly. Then, he traded Iverson to Denver, which was probably out of respect. But, Allen has implied that he never really wanted to leave Philly.

In Brooklyn, my damn, he "gifted" us the infamous Terrence Williams, and we know how that turned out here.:rolleyes: (Outside of TWill clapping back at a poster on the board...was it Amel?)

IMO, his best transaction was trading for Deron Williams, but for whatever reason, DWill didn't return to his Utah form. (I still think he's underrated). The whole roster overhaul for KG, Pierce, Jet to team with Joe Johnson looked good on paper, but he was trying to follow Danny Ainge's win-quick method of creating a Big 3, or in this case, a Big 5.

Outside of egos, I'll never understand a mediocre season with a roster of Joe, Brook, KG,Paul and DWill. That could have been an AMAZING team. They flat-out gave up on playing that season.

I feel bad for any Nets fans out there.:(

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Brewer + Dekker + Hou future 2nd rounder + Nets future second rounder to Philly
    TPE to Nets
    Thaddeus to Houston

Would love to do something like that.