1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your Top 3/Favorite (hardcore) Rap Group(s) Of All Time

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DallasThomas, Sep 5, 2003.

Tags:
?

Your Top 3

1. NWA

24 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Run DMC

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Outkast

21 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. Bone Thugs-N-Harmony

14 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Wu Tang Clan

11 vote(s)
    19.6%
  6. Public Enemy

13 vote(s)
    23.2%
  7. Tribe Called Quest

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  8. EPMD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  10. Other

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

The CC.net BBS may not be the best sample to derive accurate results on this topic, seeing as how the majority of y'all aren't big time rap fans, but I just wanted to see the consensus. I'm leaving the poll open to multiple answers so you can post your top three or whatever.

Mine are:

1. Bone
    2. Outkast
    3. NWA/Wu Tang

BTW, although I am a fan of the Beasties and Bloodhound Gang and suchforth, I think their presence in this poll would skew the results because they were both more mainstream than most of these groups. Outkast was a borderline choice because they are still enjoying radio success today, and that current popularity might help them in the "All Time" category just because they're fresh on people's minds. But they've been around long enough to qualify.

2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

hmmm... i like some rap just as i like some of everything else.

the hardcore thing is what's throwing me off.

wu tang clan has got to be my favorite. the gza (i gotcha back, cold world, liquid swords... man, that was a bad ass album) is definitely the most underrated of the group. the rza's the mastermind. meth and the odb stuff got more popular among the crowds.

edit: oops... you said top three.

2. mobb deep
    3. junior mafia

#2 OmegaSupreme, Sep 5, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2003
  3. DallasThomas

I would have included them, but I ran out of room and I figured I'd also have to include Outlawz if I did Junior Mafia, so I just got lazy and cut it short. But good choices, and Gza is a badass.

Edit: But DAMN I forgot Sugar Hill Gang.

#3 DallasThomas, Sep 5, 2003
  4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

There's Public Enemy...

and everybody else

I wish they would make a comeback. [rant=10]Todays "rap" is dog poo, all of it. Rap used to be social commentary, now it's just a bunch of cliche'd copycats talking about "blinge blinge". :rolleyes: No one is breaking down any barriers anymore. No one has anything to say. Come back, Chuck D. Come back and shut 'em down, shut em shut em down!! [/rant]

5. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

my rap top three:

1. kool moe dee
    2. nwa
    3. PE

6. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

If we're talking hardcore, why isn't Houston's finest in the list?

Ghetto Boys

7. DallasThomas

I had been trying to remember that group for the longest! I was talking to a friend about knowing semi-famous people and I told her how I sacked Bushwick Bill's groceries a few times when I worked at Randall's. She had no idea who I was talking about and I was trying to remember what group he was famous through but somehow Ghetto/Geto Boys didn't come to mind...

My bad:)

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

My Personal Favs -

1.) Outkast (But why is their latest album 2 solo's?)
    2.) Mobb Deep (Shook Ones Part II is the Mecca of flow)
    3.) D-12 (New album coming soon)

9. Timing

Timing Member

I totally agree with you on that. I used to be a rap fan but as far as I'm concerned there just isn't any real rap anymore.

Also, I think there's a top two and then everyone else way down the list if you're talking hardcore. NWA and PE are the top two in my view. Run DMC and the Beastie Boys deserve big time mention even though they're not hardcore.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

On this list, my clear favorite is Tribe Called Quest. So much so, that I didn't pick another...though I did like Run DMC. De La Soul was another I liked a lot.

11. jwun

jwun Member

This is ridiculous...your knowledge of hip hop is as ancient as PE.

What is real rap? Do you know?

Maybe you both have out grown hip hop...or you just don't like listening to someone rap on a mic anymore...thats all cool...but to act like there was a dramatic drop off in quality MCs since (your favorite old school act here) that drove you away is just weak.
    Its real easy to claim hip hop has died or that MCs of today have nothing to say, but thats just because you are not listening.

12. MadMax

jwun -- it just sounds very different to me...i'm not saying they're not good...i just don't like their sound. i think the west coast sound is a bit more dominant today, and i really don't like that, personally.

13. The Voice of Reason

I voted for 3 of them, but I would also vote for Naughty by Nature witch may be a party rap group but they are also pretty damn hard.

Bone thugs I dont find to be hard at all.

I would say Onyx is one of the best, but body of work is limited unless you look for them. they dont have a ton of hits.

Grave diggaz was one of my all time favorites for one line only
    "I've been evil ever since I was semen-
    took a sonagram and saw the image of a deamon"

another favorite is Black sheep

and pretty much every song on the "Judgment Night" sound track

peace

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The sound of rap has evolved greatly. There is southern "crunk" music, which uses heavy amounts of bass, then you have the electronic sounds of the Neptunes, who dominant the producing field at the moment. West coast sound has always been kept old school, but Dr. Dre has been producing new sounds for guys like 50 cent and Ice Cube. Then you have the simple voice talents like Nate Dogg and the Isley Brothers. Then you have just simple flow masters (Talib, Nas, Mos) where you can just listen to the words and think of them as music, which is the way hip-hop should be.

15. MadMax

good one...one of my favorites, too. i don't hear that sound anymore...i don't hear the sound of tribe anymore in new music.

16. OmegaSupreme

i agree with immadrummer.

rap is a sorry state right now... at least the commercial stuff is. the vast majority of the crap that's out there right now is nothing that i can remotely relate to.

i don't go to footlocker wanting to buy several puurs of shoes at one time, i don't have a quarter tank of gas in a new e-class, and i don't like the way they do that right thurr. sorry. :rolleyes:

old stuff, imo, is better. pharcyde is the shiz.

#16 OmegaSupreme, Sep 5, 2003
  17. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

No mention of Eric B. and Rakim? They are #1 in my book. I was addicted to De La Soul when their first albom came out, same with Tribe. I also really like the Jungle Brothers first album. Early Big Daddy Kane was also great, same with Biz Markie. I used to love listening to the live mixing on Magic 102, or similar station, back in the '80s.

I don't listen to today's rap much at all. I just can't relate or get into the stuff that is popular right now. I know there is some great new rap out there, but I just don't know where. I think 91.7 used to have a rap show a few years ago that featured some "underground" artists. Some of that stuff sounded really good.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think your post sums it up. If you want to find substanive hip-hop, just like all forms of music these days, you're going to have to do a little searching. There are some great M.C.'s out there, they just don't get radio play because that's not what sells. Plus the industry has grown so much, the search has to be more extensive.

19. DJ JFive

DJ JFive Member

The fact that the poll even mentions the word "hardcore" kills all credibility. Even considering the Bloodhound Gang means you don't know too much about hip hop. 'Hardcore' would include Gangsta Nip, Gravediggaz, Spice 1, etc. How the hell Run DMC is considered 'hardcore' is totally beyond me. I'll take Wu Tang (just barely) as hardcore and Getto Boys too but Beastie Boys being hardcore? Get out. Get out now. :mad: ;)

I'd have to say the number one harcore group of all time is N.W.A. with Getto Boys in close second. All of the other choices are no where near hardcore. Bone Thugz -N- Harmony hardcore? Yeah... riiiiight. ATCQ even being used in the same sentence as the word hardcore is a paradox. Considering ATCQ being all about peace during the Native Tongues days. Might as well put Arrested Development and PM Dawn up there for 'hardcore'. ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

#19 DJ JFive, Sep 5, 2003
  20. OmegaSupreme

hmmm... are you saying that this can't be my favorite hardcore rapper, dj five? ;)

[​IMG]