1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'95 Rockets are one of the greatest playoff teams in NBA history.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by benvolio, Sep 3, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Sane

Sane Member

We must note that the Rockets, I believe, had a winning record against the Bulls. We had Clyde or MadMax or Elie or whoever played the 2/3 against Jordan....You thought Cartwright and Longley would stop Hakeem?

It's not about head-to-head though.

MFW,

I feel that your recollection of the Rockets and generally the rest of the league during those years is poor. It's painfully obvious in your posts. How can you say Robinson doesn't cut it? He won almost every type of award during those years, and up until even 2 years ago was considered the best person to put up against Shaq. Ofcourse he needed Tim for the Spurs to be the best, but that's not to say the Spurs weren't just a notch below the best team(s) in the league.

2. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

Very good point!

3. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

Using this line of thinking ...
    You should put an asterik next to all 6 Bulls championships because ....
    1) Hakeem did not play his best in one of those years.
    2) Kenny was busy looking forward to his broadcasting career.
    3) Clyde spent too much time on the golf course the other year.
    You get my drift ?! :)

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He also shot .484 in the playoffs that year, compared to .487 for his career. He never shot better in the playoffs from '96-'98, while winning 3 championships. Isn't that interesting?

5. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

So let me get this straight.. The Bulls just won 62 games because the rest of the league were so damn pathetic? That must mean that all 6 seasons when the bulls won the championship, the league must have been pathetic... interesting point.... i think you're right.. the same bulls would never last in the NBA today.. Jordan IS Jordan.. but sorry.. there are TOOO many explosive scorers now like AI, Vince, T-Mac.. they cant win it all just by themselves.. so yes.. the Rockets WERE better then the Bulls.. i dont care if we ddint face them.. The rockets are the only team in history to have a winning record against Jordans' Bulls.. How you like that?? haha

I dont know if the rockets were the best championship team ever.. but they were DEFINATELY up there!!

6. lexled

lexled Contributing Member

All I know is that for two GLORIOUS years, the Houston Rockets were the best basketball team on the planet.

Hopefully, we wont have to wait too much longer for another glory run.

7. lexled

lexled Contributing Member

Hey MFW, is that the same "coming out of retirement out of shape Jordan" that dropped 55 pts on the knicks that same year? Stop holding Jordans hand. Jordan wasnt out of shape, his team was beaten, plain and simple. Losing to a team with a great center (Shaq).

My theory is that Jordan knew that his true Daddy (Olajuwon) would be in the finals in 94-95, so he "retired" because he feared Olajuwon. Jordan NEVER faced a center in the finals with even half the skill of Olajuwon e.g. Keven Duckworth, Joe Kleine and Greg Ostertag. What a trio of losers.

8. stab

stab Member

Now, I love the Rockets and I think that the team in 95 was extremely impressive, but if they were in that group, I would have to say they are at the bottom of that elite list.
    People say that Chicago Bulls never had any competition. In the last 3 championships, I would say I agree, but their match-up's in the Eastern Confrernce Finals against the Knicks were amazing. Remember, the Bulls never went to a 7th game when they were in the NBA Finals all six times, but they needed a few Game 7's just to beat the Knicks, including the epic ECF in '93, (which I though the Knicks would win, and the last time ever I would doubt MJ). Better than most of the playoffs combined. That was some serious basketball. Also, when Jordan took on the Bad Boys in the late 80's, was also amazing. The Lakers-Celtics trilogy in the 80's is another group of great playoff teams.

But don't get me wrong, the Rockets played some of the most inspired ball. But instead of one of the greatest playoff teams in NBA history, I believe that we were the greatest underdog team ever to win. Which is hilarious considering that we were the defending champs!!! But no one outside the Rockets organization and Houston thought that we were even the best team in the state!!

9. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Seems like the Boston Celtics were a fairly decent playoff team during the Bill Russell years. I'm sure the 95 Rockets would have kicked the living sh1+ out of them though. ;)

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I would argue that the 94 playoff team was not as good as the 95 playoff team...and that 94 playoff team beat those very same Knicks, who were arguably a year better from the 93 season.

11. Cato=Bum

Cato=Bum Member

-Doh. It's funny how the Jordan idol worshippers conveniently ignore this fact. The Jordan was out of shape argument is pitiful. His stats in the playoffs in 95 are on par if not better than his career averages. They just got punked by the Magic and the Jordanaires have to invent that excuse to continue to put Jordan on a god-like pedestal.

-Why the hell are the Jazz and Knicks and Suns so awesome when the Bulls beat them but "weak" teams when Houston beats them? Same damn teams. Jazz were much younger in 94-95 when Houston beat them. The 93 suns were great comp for the bulls in the finals but one year later in 94 sucked when houston beat them? That's just stupid if anyone believes that.

-Reality is it took the decline of the Pistons and Lakers due to age before the Bulls ever won anything. Before that, DET OWNED chicago.

12. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I don't think I have seen this point here but in '95, for most of the playoffs, we were without two of our better players with Mad Max out and Carl out.

13. SaVeThEpIgS88

SaVeThEpIgS88 Member

What were the winning percentages that Houston had over the Bulls? I remember that when i would see them played when jordan was there at chicago... that every season... the rockets would win one game and the rockets another.. it was pretty cool cuz like if the bulls one the rockets would come back and beat them bad also.. so it was all good

14. Panda

Panda Member

Jordan got stripped by Penny on a crucial possession and I believe that was due to his lack of mental focus following his hiatus. ;)

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah..he was out of shape, so penny stole the ball. :rolleyes: :D

16. benvolio

benvolio Member

Even though Russell collected a unbelievable 11 rings(!!!), the era was so different it's hard to compare. My feeling is that any of the top 6 teams in the West (2003) would steam roll the Russell Celtics if we had a time machine. The '95 Rockets would have WAY to much athleticism for any 50's-60's era team...the compairison is not really a fair one.

Now for playoff teams that I think do rank above the Rockets:

The Bird-Parrish-D. Johnson-McHale Celtics. The team I love to hate but truely awesome front court with D.J. and Angie in the backcourt to round them out.

Showtime Lakers "Lackers" - Magic in his prime, Worthy, Cooper, Scott, and a still effective Kareem.

The Malone, Dr. J, Cheeks, B. Jones 76ers - as someone mention earlier in this thread, the most dominating playoff run.

Notice that all of these teams had a least one dominate low post presence and excellent to superior backcourt.

The 91-93 Bulls teams didn't and the 96-98 teams used Rodman, who was a one dementional defender (don't get me wrong, all he needed was that one demention) the lock down the post.

The above three teams rank ahead of the Rockets in my opinion but not the Bulls.

17. mamojama

mamojama Member

Normally I don't correct spelling, but this one is a pretty cool mistake. Rodman, as we all know, was a one dimensional player. However, we also know that as a person, he's also a little demented. Does that make him one dementional? You be the judge.

On purpose or not, this mispelling is appropriate.