1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden is 100th in FG%........no more ball hoggin'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Dec 19, 2015.

1. omgTHEpotential

Harden is super efficient even with a low FG%. If he shot over 50% from the field and still average 10 FTA per game, he'd probably be the most efficient SG in basketball history.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

When a team is dubbed the best offense in the league, it's because they are the most efficient. They excel in points per shot, points per possession, true shooting percentage and the like. The same things Harden excels at.

it's funny when people laugh off these very relevant stats because it doesn't fit the bash Harden narrative.

Harden is an elite player when it comes to offensive efficiency. Always hovering around or above .600 and on the whole this year he is below that. But let's just say after game 3 we all were rational and thought to ourselves, Harden isn't this bad he is going to get back on track efficiency wise, and we would be right.

Starting with game 4 up to this point his ts% is .593 his shooting percentages are 43/36.5/87 Right in line with his career stats.

He's been back to his normal efficient self and doing it over a long stretch since those first 3 games. Again those first 3 games happened. They count in his season long numbers, but you can't sit here and act like he's been a nightmare all season when for every game since those first 3 he's been doing what he's always been doing. Putting the ball in the basket at an elite efficient level. Right near the same efficient level that had him as the runner up MVP.

If/when he continues to do what he's been doing over the last 25 games by the end of the year those overall numbers are going to be right back in line with the guy he always has been.

It's really that simple.

3. a711

a711 Member

DD is what we call........simple.

Dude is in his late 60's. Let him be.

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

If Curry is still shooting a ton of 3's and getting enough FTs so that his EFG% is still above 60%, then why do you care what his FG% is? Does the fact that a player is getting points on 3 pointers and FTs bother you for some reason ? All that matter is how efficient a player is. It doesn't matter how they score their points. So, why would you look at a stat that omits the extra points from 3's and FTs?

If a player never made a single FG attempt but they got 20 FT per game then they would be incredibly efficient (assuming that they shot FT well). FG% wise, they'd look like the worst player in the league which is why it's silly to only look at that stat.

Efficiency wise all of those players that I listed are less efficient than Harden this season. That's what matters. Overall FG% means nothing. Who would you prefer, the guy with the higher FG% or the guy that scores more points on the same number of shots?

If Curry shot nothing but 3's and ended up at 40%, would you be disappointed?

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree with what you're saying, but point of order is called for in how you construct your logical retort. :)

Your scenario has never happened in the history of the game. In fact, no one has done it with even >56% eFG%, so it is pretty much an impossibility that t_mac1 is allowed to assume in his post.

I looked it up for my love for trivia, not to dispute you. Thought this was interesting enough to share.

There is only one person in the history of the game who has had a season of <41% FG% and >55% eFG%

*only one person in like 45 years of the 3-pt shot era.

Anyone want to guess...you won't be able to guess it....(hint: unless you follow the Bulls as much as you do the Rockets)

Keith Bogans -- Chicago Bulls 2011
    Scored 17.8 ppg
    .404 FG%
    .380 3G%
    .550 eFG%
    .559 TS%

#65 heypartner, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

But see, it is not that simple, because it is not a one man team - you need to know if his efficiency is helping the TEAM win, or getting us anywhere.

I agree, he is a great individual scorer, but I believe the team would be better with him doing a bit less offense and a bit more defense.

DD

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And do you have anything to back this up, other than your gut feel?

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Totally disagree. Not a Harden lover. Wish we would trade him.

9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Not a Harden lover.

10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Trade him!!!!

11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I agree! They are more fun to watch when he is on the bench.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

a lot of brickin

13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I never liked him. Could care less about the superstar many think he is.

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Someone get that man a triple double?

15. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

That was suppose to be TS% rather than eFG%. My mistake.

16. IBIZA0408

IBIZA0408 Member

stupid thread

[​IMG]

this picture is Rockets' PPP with/without Harden

When Harden is on court, Rockets score 1.08 point per possession
    Top 4 in NBA, between Spurs and Cavs

Once Harden is off court, almost all Rockets player's ppp drop down shapely
    And team can only score 0.962 points per possession, 29th in NBA, just beat 76ers

Rockets is different team with/without Harden
    He is one of the best efficiency attacker in the league
    And once he is on court, he will attract a lot of attention from opponent's defenders, even he shot bad on that game. That will give our other players more space to score

17. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Well, answer my question? Would you regard Curry the same way if he shoots 40% compared to 53% with everything else being the same? How much would have his value drop in your opinion?

B/c Harden's stock has dropped A TON.

18. IBIZA0408

IBIZA0408 Member

Lost link:
    [​IMG]

Another stat, Harden has top 7 assist point created in the league
    [​IMG]

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nope, just my opinion.

DD

20. ooooaaaah!