1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patriots cut Lawyer Milloy

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by randerson153, Sep 2, 2003.

1. randerson153

randerson153 Contributing Member

By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

Four-time Pro Bowl strong safety Lawyer Milloy was released by the Patriots on Tuesday after refusing to take a paycut.

Milloy

Milloy, 29, was in the fourth year of a seven-year, $35 million contract and was scheduled to make $4.5 million this year. He had a $5.856 million cap number, which New England was trying to reduce. The Patriots will lose $4.05 million off of next year's salary cap because the remaining proration of his contract.

"This is a player and person I have immense respect for, and he meant a lot to this team and organization," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "Unfortunately he's a casualty of the system. The timing is not good. We tried to find a way to make it work. In the end, we weren't able to get to that point."

Belichick said the negotiations for a revised deal have been ongoing since April. Belichick said this is not the way he wanted the relationship to end, adding that a player of Milloy's caliber can't be replaced.

Milloy played 106 consecutive games and has been the Patriots' captain the past three seasons. The Patriots signed strong safety Rodney Harrison to work with him during the offseason; Harrison has been working at free safety.

Antwan Harris and Chris Akins will compete for the strong safety job. There are no plans to bring in another player from outside the organization.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

*drool*

Would love to have him at SS and move Brown to FS while moving Stevens to a backup role. Wasn't Brown a FS with the Broncos??

Anyway, not sure the Texans would give him the money he is looking for and there are probably other teams that he would rather play for than us.

Interesting though.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I. Want. Him.

4. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I love your idea. Having Milloy, Brown, Coleman, and Glenn in the secondary is very formidable. Still, I think the Texans would rather pay to upgrade other positions (like OL) before they try to improve one of their strongest areas (secondary D). It'd be great to have Milloy, but I highly doubt they go after him.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

TB,

I agree about having to upgrade the OL. However, I wouldn't call our seconday super strong. Glenn is a stud, Coleman is adequate to above average. Stevens is a joke and Brown is probably considered average. Behind them, we don't have alot of quality depth, in terms of experience.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I would do anything to get Stevens off the field. I cant believe he is in the NFL.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's an embarassment. he can't tackle and can't cover. They might as well put in 3 corners and Brown, at least their coverage would be better.

8. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I agree that the secondary is not super strong. However, on this team, it's probably the second best unit (behind the LB corps). We have no depth, but I like how some of the younger DBs are coming up, most notably Faggins. He should become Coleman in a few years, IMO. I still say their focus should be (as it should have been in the later rounds of the draft) on OL.

With all that being said, I'd LOVE to have Milloy on our team. I think he'd be great to have back there. Don't get me wrong, I think our D was the only thing keeping us in games last year, so I do want to improve it (especially after losing J. Posey in the LB). Offer him a contract and see what happens, but don't give him the max of what he wanted. We want players who want to be here, not those who will b*tch and whine about contracts. Didn't Gary Walker say he'd be willing to take a paycut next year to stay with this team? That's the kind of player we want.

9. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I could not believe that the Texans didn't get rid of this waste of space after last season. This dude is an absolute abomination.

Put me in the crowd that would LOVE to sign Milloy...

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Bills are about to sign him... and guess who Buffalo plays week 1

11. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yeah I was hoping he came to Houston but playing for a contender feels alot better.

12. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

No, Brown was an absolute stiff for the Broncos.

13. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Didn't the Pats trade their other safety, Tebucky Jones, during the Spring and got draft picks? Milloy is better than Jones and they just released him for nothing???

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Patriots had acquired Rodney Harrison in the offseason, who plays the same position (SS) as Milloy.