1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Bills

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 1, 2015.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

As someone not that invested in the Texans or in football in general , that was quite a fun game to watch . It was enjoyable seeming hoyer make adjustments at the line of scrimmage. It was entertaining seeing deandre and Watkins try to outplay each other . This was a very close game . If our defense doesn't break down for that last touchdown the game is completely different. Normally when watching games there is not one definite play or sequence that if changed could completely alter the game . The game came down to the last few minutes and buffalo executed better than us . Buffalo is a good team no shame in losing a close one on the road . Feels good to stay competitive .

2. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Yes, there was in fact a question in that post.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can't believe the bills managed to move the ball so well on offense and defensively they knew they could blitz and get pressure any time they wanted.

4. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Out coached and out played. Loss

Next

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or perhaps they're easier to beat with all the injuries.

That's far more plausible than there being a "Pissed off" advantage.

6. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

LMFAO this has to be a joke... Jacoby Jones fu*ks the Texans again...

7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Not too worried about the Pats with what they have to work with on Offense right now.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Gronk might be back next week

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's unlikely though.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Good news is that no matter what happens next week, week 15 @ the Colts will be for the division lead. If Texans win that game and are tied with the Colts, they will have the same division record (assuming Texans will defeat the Jags and Titans) and the same record against common opponents: Jets, Bills, Patriots, Panthers, Falcons, Saints, and Bucs. The Colts will play the Dolphins in week 16. The Texans HAVE to beat the Colts.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

In that scenario, the Colts would get in over the Texans assuming they win their other games?

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My take from the game:

This was a great game between two evenly matched, fringe playoff teams. Tie game with 4 minutes left, it came down to what team made, or didn't make plays. Unfortunately, the Texans gave the game away by not making plays.

Kevin Johnson made a great play jumping a Robert Woods route, but didn't make the pick. Hit him right in the hands. Would have possibly been a pick six. Andre Half had a ball hit him right in the hands. Missed it. Blocking was set up for a pick six. And then the blown coverage. On top of that, a twenty yard run, a big punt return negated by penalty (by Buffalo). All that with less than four minutes. Buffalo wanted it more than we did. Maybe it was because they were at home. Not sure.

Had fun at the game. In Warmups, Hopkins was getting picked on by some Bills fans near me. He came running over yelling, "Hey, what's your record?"

They loved it.

Kevin Johnson also talked some trash to them, too. I got some good pictures.

I'll edit this tomorrow with more, and some pictures.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Colts had their asses handed to them.......makes this one less painful...

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I can't figure out exactly how but if the texans lose to the pats and then win out. While the colts lose to the texans and win out, Texans win the division and host a playoff game most likely against the chiefs . I know this because I was playing with the espn nfl playoff machine and it told me so. i think it's related to how well or poor the titans and jags finish. playing with the machine it appears if titans and jags lose it helps the texans and hurts the colts. unless either beat the colts obviously it helps.

#1074 ipaman, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yes because the Dolphins would be a common opponent. So either the Texans would have to win out to make it or hope the Colts lose to one of either the Dolphins, Titans or Jags while the Texans would have to win 3/4 (including the Colts game of course).

How so? That would mean the Colts and Texans end up with the same record. Common opponents would be the tiebreaker as mentioned above by Nimo. Dolphins are one of the teams the Colts play which the Texans lost to. So in that scenario, the Colts would have to lose to the Dolphins for the Texans to win the tiebreaker.

16. ipaman

that's what i'm saying, not sure but play with the espn machine and that's what it says. maybe the machine is wrong?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

That's disheartening to hear. It'd be nice to have the Texans controlling their own destiny even if they lose to the Pats next week.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

If the Texans win the rest of their games except the Patriots and the Colts win their games except the Texans they will both be 3-5 against common opponents. Texans beat the Jets, Bucs, and Saints. Colts beat the Falcons, Bucs, and will have to beat the Dolphins. Next tie-breaker is conference record.

19. jdm485

jdm485 Member

Under that scenario, it looks like conference records would also be identical. The next tie-breaker would be strength of victory. It's likely too early to workout that tie-breaker.

Conference Games

HOU IND
    BUF L L
    NYJ W L
    TEN W W W W
    JAX W W W W
    NE L L
    MIA L W
    DEN W
    CIN W
    PIT L
    KC L
    6-4 6-4

20. ipaman

Okay decided to check myself and I think you're wrong and I'm right. Did the math, we'd both be 8-6 against common opponents.

Both 5-1 in the division, both 2-2 against the NFC SOUTH, and both 1-3 against the AFC EAST if we lose to NE and they win against MIA. That puts both at 8-6 against common opponents.

The remaining two non-common AFC games, we split 1-1 against Chiefs and Bengals. Which puts us at 9-7. Colts two non-common games were Broncos and Steelers which makes them also 1-1 which also puts them at 9-7. Again both with matching 1-1 records in conference non-common games.

Tiebreakers are as follows,

1.Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs). - tied
    2.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division. - tied
    3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games. - tied
    4.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference. - tied
    5.Strength of victory. - Win % of opponents beaten and probably not tied.
    6.Strength of schedule.
    7.Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8.Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9.Best net points in common games.
    10.Best net points in all games.
    11.Best net touchdowns in all games.
    12.Coin toss

So basically if we lose to Pats but win out and Colts lose to us but win out it will come down to tiebreaker #5. Calculating the combined winning percentage of the opponents a team has beaten. So I guess that means we want Saints, Jets, Bengals to keep winning and the Falcons, Dolphins, Broncos to lose.

#1080 ipaman, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015