1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson says Rockets told him "there is no truth" to rumors he is being shopped

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Keep attacking like he did last night, no need to even look in trading.

2. basketballholic

I suspect the player(s) we are secretly shopping to Brooklyn are from among Brewer, Beverley, KJ, and Terrence with only Terrence and KJ trade eligible before 1/15 and only Terrence trade eligible on 12/11.

3. malakas

malakas Member

Utah? Why if you were Utah you would be ANY interested in Lawson? Is it because you will suddendly have a change of complete strategy in your main focus in drafting and acquiring players that is based on Character?
    Or why would you if you were Milwaukee when everyone who can't play defence at all hits the bench and the owners just got out of Sanders clusterf~ck?
    Why would you if you were the Knicks when Lawson is the epitome of a guard who doesn't fit the triangle? Unless ofc you believe that Morey will take on Calderon's contract? I don't think that's even remotely on the table without a substantial compensation because I don't think that Morey had a seizure that made him stupid.

Why in gods name would Philly or Charlotte have any interest in Lawson?
    And why in gods name would the Bulls IF were coaxed for ONCE to made ANY trade (they haven't one for YEARS) to make instead for their extremely weak wing position for a backup pg that costs as much as Lawson?

4. malakas

malakas Member

I think it strains the boundary of optimism to believe that Billy King is stupid enough to take Brewer's contract.

5. basketballholic

Dunno about that. He's done some pretty stupid things over the years. But one thing is for sure. It doesn't strain the boundary of optimism to believe that Morey is trying to peddle Brewer away to any and all takers.

6. malakas

malakas Member

definitely. He probably calls every single team in the league repeatedly.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Do you REALLY expect me to go team by team and explain why they would have "interest" in a former (like a year ago) top 10 PG? Its NBA roster building... we could spend all day arguing for or against ONE TEAM, and you want to argue against 7 or 8?? Seems like a waste of time.

Let's make this simple-

All of those teams could use an upgrade at starting or backup PG. Therefore they would have interest at improving at Point Guard. Therefore they entertain trading for said Point Guard.

Is there a counter to that argument... sure.... but I could also counter an argument as well that winning the lottery actually sucks and you actually shouldn't want to win as well.

8. malakas

malakas Member

Yes I expect you too. If you make claim that a team will show an interest then you should know the needs of said team, the tendencies of said GM of the team, their capspace for this year and next year and their strategy.

For example the proposition that Chicago will show interest in Lawson is extremely farfetched. Their owner is extremely cheap, their Gm and President of bball operations is very reluctant to make any trades whatsoever, Hinrich has been playing well, and they have a gaping hole in the wings that if they make any trade will be for that. NOT for Reinsdorf to spend 13 million dollars on Ty Lawson.

Utah and Milwaukee (new ownership) have made abudantly clear that they pay attention to the character of their players and they only want players who WANT to be here. Not someone like Lawson who b****ed and DUIed his way out of Denver.

So instead of making generalistic claims please identify WHY would each team trade all those millions in contracts to get Lawson. A player with 2 DUIs hanging above his head and suspensions coming, who can't play defence, and who has failed in his CONTRACT year to hold the starting position.

Please enlighten me.

9. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I'm pretty sure Lawson did when he was in Denver, lol

10. basketballholic

Personally I can see the Bucks interested in a Lawson/Jones combo.

11. malakas

malakas Member

Trashquez hasn't stepped his slow foot on the court for three games in a phantom injury because he can't play defence. Parker has gone from starter to bench because of defence. Everyone who can't play defence has his minutes reduced drastically. (even Monroe has). Result is much better defence that is bound to rise pretty soon from last to like 20th.:rolleyes:
    Unless the offer you have in mind is " vasquez + Plumplee+ Copeland" for Lawson then no.
    I personally find the offer of JJ and Bogdanovic better than that.
    Bogdanovic should fit well with the Rockets and JJ knows his place. Trashquez doesn't.
    I have to go take a look at last years stats but I also suspect that Jack bless his soul is better defensively than Trashquez.

And this comes from ME who I am sick and tired and bordering to desperate of having to watch repeatedly the worst pg rotation in the league do boneheaded things. I doubt that the owners will even dare to bring in Lawson to such an impressionable lockeroom full of sub 23 yos.

12. dobro1229

I'm not trying to be rude or anything (I have a sense that you might getting there though) but if I don't write a dissertation about every counter to your argument you win?

No. You're going to get a high level explanation of how trade talks start. At a very basic high level, there will be obvious interest that gets GM's on the phone with each other. Hell even if they don't have interest they will talk for the sake of exploring trades that help their interest. As I mentioned earlier... especially with a Lawson-type of contract there are numerous ways teams could help themselves cap wise with a contract like that.... Interest doesn't mean there is an argument against, and it doesn't mean a deal will or won't happen.

The arguments and the counter arguments dictate whether or not a deal happens or doesn't happen. Oh and by the way... those are YOUR arguments. The owners, GM's, agents, etc. have a whole new set of arguments and counter arguments of their own.

This is subjective. And these are YOUR arguments... not THE arguments.

13. malakas

malakas Member

I apologise if I seemed rude to you. I appreciate YOU and your posts and your opinion and I hold them in high regard that's why general statements without exact reasoning behind them irritate me more when they come from a good poster as yourself than from someone else that I wouldn't even bother to read or reply to them much.

I want in any trade proposal that one makes to make sense by both sides, otherwise one can just keep posting general trades or homeristic trades (lawson for bledsoe anyone?) that make no sense from the other side and the discussion goes nowhere.
    Until I see an ACTUAL argument by someone who makes sense , yet have to see it , for any other team instead of BKN then I will keep repeating what you call MY arguments but what is actual laying out the facts of each teams situation.
    I invited you to explain your argument but you still have yet to do so in why all those teams would risk to bring in Lawson and trade a substantial amount in contracts to get him.

Again I apologise to you if I seemed rude that was not my intention at all.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Wow.......watching two of the most opinionated posters going at each other, with a third interjecting. It's like WWF.

15. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

DM to Lawson: "We didn't shop you, they came calling and we answered."

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

17. dobro1229

No worries. I just didn't want that to get snarky (if that's even a word).

I need to try and get some work done today so I don't have time for all of those but for this exercise I can see the Knicks ENTERTAINING a call to discuss.

A. If there is a possibility of shedding cap space next Summer. Both Calderon & OQuinn are probably two players they would like to shed their salaries as OQuinn isn't even in the rotation, and Calderon just doesn't look like he has many years left.
    B. They can get a player who is an upgrade at PG, and can help get KP and Melo better looks. He can penetrate the defense, and isn't a liability like Grant has been as a shooter. (I like Grant FYI, but he's got some holes in his game as a normal rookie would).
    C. He's a low risk shot at making a jump up in the East

Now why does Houston make the call or pickup the phone-

(we are assuming Morey has given up on Lawson being a factor here obviously in this exercise which I don't think it necessarily true, but I do believe he will take calls in the case that it comes to that point)

A. Morey is opportunistic and probably see's an opportunity to poach a young player in the trade like Grant
    B. The Knicks have players that could easily be dropped in the conversation at the last minute as talks progress.
    C. Hell there is reason to believe that Morey would still be interested in trading for Melo, and while New York isn't exactly putting it out there that Melo is available, IF it happens, I'm assuming Morey would love to at least have open discussions that they are included in.

So there are arguments and excuses for at least discussing opportunities. Again... these are subjective, and NOBODY can know exactly what their personal priorities are and will be. But it doesn't take a Rocket scientist to see that, while the possibility is unlikely, there ALOT of reasons to at the very least be a PROFESSIONAL and keep open dialog with a potential trade partner that has a potential asset/player/s you could want to acquire.

18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Bev is the one we should ship out.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The good thing about the Rockets under Morey is, they treat their players like assets, even when they're liabilities

1 person likes this.
  20. hakeemthagreat

If Bev got shipped out Harden will be worthless on D again. Have you watched any games this season?