1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Creed 9.5/10 - Great Movie

Rocket River

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I finally watched the original, Russian SOLARIS and it was one of the absolute worst movies I have ever seen. An absolute pile of dung.

2/10.

I know I was just getting a (supposedly good) translation via subtitles, but the dialogue is excruciatingly terrible. Like junior-high philosophy club after sneaking the brandy out of mom and dad's liquor cabinet bad. And then the space suits they wear are like then worst of early 1970's fashion imaginable. "Yeah, time for a trip through space. Let me get my stained grey sweatshirt and a leather jacket that still barely stretches over my beer gut."

Don't get me started on the plot. Girl as alien presence who just continually swoons and hurts herself for no reason other than to get attention and provoke another 40-minute scene of Russians talking in pseudo-philosophy.

Just ridiculously terrible. I can't believe I have friends who told me to watch this. Damn them!

3. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I really loved that movie, but I guess Tarkovsky is a love it or hate it kind of storytelling. Even Tarkovsky himself said it was his least favorite movie. Stanislav Lem, who wrote the novel, hated it, saying it was never intended to be about "erotic problems in space." It's the best known Russian film outside Russia by non-Russians.

I'm still a fan, enough so that I was unduly excited when I learned my Russian teacher went to high school with Natalya Bondarchuk.
    [​IMG]

Lastly, most Russians I know prefer the films of the 80s. For sci-fi it's either the darkly humorous Kin-Dza-Dza or the campy Guest From the Future (a 5 part TV series for kids).

#6083 Deji McGever, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thanks, Deji.

I've been told to keep trying other Tarkovsky films. Should I try Stalker?

I liked some of the design and some of the visuals, but the dialogue was just too much for me in the end. Maybe since I already knew the story, I was too focused on details instead of ambiance.

edit: and yes, she was totally hot when she was not swooning or running into furniture.

5. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

Creed 8/10.

Tessa Thompson is nice as well.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Terminator Genisys - 4/10 Meh

Furious 7 - 7/10 Action scenes were top notch enjoyed more than I thought I would

Her - 8/10 Phoenix's performance was great, though the staring out the window over and over scenes got old.

Inside Out - 7/10 A couple of solid tearjerker scenes

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Has there really been nobody else who's seen Spotlight?

8. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Saw it Saturday. Loved it. Don't know if I'd watch it again for fun, but definitely well written and acted beautifully.

Tragic stuff.

9. Wilezra

Wilezra Member

I know I'm late to the party but...

Gone Girl - 9/10

I honestly thought it was just going to be one of those romantic stories with a unique albeit dark twist in the end but it turned out to be so much more. Not a huge fan of Ben Affleck but I think he played his role as well as anyone could. Rosamund Pike is a goddess and a damn fine actress.

10. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

The End of the Tour. I loved it.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Notting Hill

Bumped into this and thought I'd watch it. Don't like the English dude, but reminds me of my life from years ago (without the meet a famous celeb and fall in love with each other part) in a tragic kind of way. Anyway, it was cute... so leave it at that.

12. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Spotlight 10/10

Disturbing and deeply moving film. Brilliantly acted and told. Barring a surprise in the next few weeks, it's my pick for best picture.

#6092 Hustle Town, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I loved the changing seasons scene.

14. Rox11

Rox11 Member

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - 8/10

Skyfall - 7.5/10 liked it more then Spectre

15. dragician

dragician Member

Max - 8/10. I thought it was another dog movie for kids but when I started it I was glued to the couch with the family. Interesting movie.

Avengers (Ultron) - 8/10. Everything was good except the Iron Man vs Hulk fight scene.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Finally watched Locke with Tom Hardy. Even though he's one of my favorite actors, I was skeptical. It was great, especially when you consider the unique circumstances involved.

I can understand how some would not like it at all. Too bad for them.

1 person likes this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Terrific movie! Even better if you know nothing about it going in.

18. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I've never been as moved by a performance as I was by Keaton's & Ruffalo's.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Krampus

6.5 of 10

Some laughs, cool demons, Not terrible

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

The documentary "Amy" on Amy Winehouse was very good and made me a huge far of her as "The Punk Singer" had with Kathleen Hanna.

I also just started the series "The Affair" on Showtime. Only three episodes in but it's very promising.