1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey is officially in the HOT seat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Because they are hard capped, the Rockets have only a finite amount of room to make ANY improvements to the roster. Spending some of those limited resources on a 15th man might not be as beneficial as having the room to take in more salary via trades later on.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We're going back to step 1. Dwight is leaving this summer. Back to scrambling for picks and looking for a star. #Pursuit.

3. aumate

aumate Member

LA lifestyle is the best if you have the money which Smith obviously has.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think he was just pissed off that morey basically treated him like his lowest priority. Morey took care mcdaniels before him.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'd say Morey's obsession in getting that 3rd guy is at least one of the reasons we are struggling.

One can argue that Lawson was (or could be) that 3rd guy.

Chasing that third guys lost us the opportunities to sign quality role players. If Morey really banked on Harden being the man, he should have gone all in to get two types of players: shooters and leaders.

6. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Should go after a PF or SF 3rd star, not a PG. Just keep Beverley and try to get Mario Chalmers.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I agree 100. But that leader needs to be a coach minimum and as long Morey is here, that is not happening.

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

I agree. San Diego is 10X better. I wish the Clippers moved back to San Diego.

But LA mostly just has the weather and beach lifestyle that most other NBA teams can't offer other than Miami. That and the celebs, limelight.

9. aumate

aumate Member

I live in North County (Carlsbad) and it's the best especially if you have a family to raise. Nice and laid back and perfect weather all year round but no nightlife.

10. Caesar

Caesar Member

Leave the nightlife to college aged people. I prefer dive bars and decent sports bars to clubbing or lounge's any day.

11. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Tough times for Maury's biggest cheerleaders like yourself.

12. MFG16

MFG16 Member

The thing I don't think people are seeing is that Morey isn't coming back regardless. Think about it. If the Rockets continue on their current path he might not even make it the end of the season and if they sneak into the playoffs and get swept he's gone shortly afterward. What's worse is he probably knows this. Also a good reason why you roll with JB the rest of the season. It gives Les many more options in the offseason to hire a GM AND a new HC instead of being stuck with Morey's puppet HC he'd hire (which would either limit the GM search or result in another firing). Outside of a miracle WCF run Morey fans need to enjoy Morey while they can.

13. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Les has already made up his mind and Morey is done, barring a miracle championship run. Morey has had a great run on his first GM gig. Dude was tasked to rebuild without tanking. He did that against all odds. I never liked Les' no-losing rebuild strategy, but it did produce championship hopes, eventually.

If Morey gets/takes another GM gig, it will be interesting to see how it goes.

1 person likes this.
  14. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

No way this can be Morey's last season. He's placed us in the best possible position to win. Is it his fault that literally everyone except Dwight have **** the bed?

15. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Morey's issue is he has no way to evaluate guys that bring leadership and toughness.

I think something remarkable Phil did in New York is keep the last few roster spots for fringe guys that do nothing but work hard, and are grateful to the in the NBA everyday. Those are the guys in practice that try extra hard and can keep the effort in the room elevated. He prioritized that over signing more talented 10th-15th men. I'm talking about the Lance Thomas's, Langston Galloway's.

16. MFG16

MFG16 Member

You're going to be upset when Morey is fired (outside of a deep playoff run). Do you watch pro sports? Coaches and GMs are canned yearly across all sports because of the play of the players. Hell, the Grizzlies fired their HC after making the WCF. Plus it's Les we're talking about. He's mind is probably already made up.

17. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Damn man, I know but...its just hard to believe it. He put a hell of a supporting cast around Yao and McGrady, specifically the '08-'09 team, then managed to keep us competitive for three years in a row whilst collecting assets, than he finally snagged two stars in consecutive years. Surely he should get some slack on one bad start?

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

All he has to do is ask the Coach. What do you think about this Coach? What do you need me to do?

Instead, I'm getting rid of Josh Smith and bring in about 4 rookies on a championship run team. Mchale was even surprised about this.

19. daernoth

daernoth Member

Morey has been an excellent GM. His only major mistake all this time is keeping McHale and that just shouldnt be enough to get him fired. Too many good moves, too many wins without ever tanking.

Hell... if he is fired and then hired by another team ill probably become a fan of that team also.

20. MFG16

MFG16 Member

Agreed. While he has done a ton for this franchise it'll always be what have you done for me lately. It's cruel but what happens when billionaire owners get a hurt ego. The entire situation points to Les getting rid of him.