1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Songs and Memories

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

What is the one song that brings back the most vivid memories for you?

Mine is "Neon Moon" by Brooks and Dunn.

I can picture the exact moment I first heard the song, every time I hear it. My grandpa and I were sitting in his truck at the intersection of Huffsmith-Korville and Beaudreux, in Tomball, right down the street from his house. We were listening to it and then made a left over the railroad tracks there. And me, being about six, I remember thinking, "What is a neon moon?", and just wondering about the song.

My grandpa was the coolest. He died from bladder cancer about 18 years ago, when I was 9. Him and I spent a lot of my younger years putzing around their small farm and driving around doing odd jobs. I don't have a lot of vivid memories of him, but this one song puts me right there in the front bucket seat of his old pickup with him, and it's awesome. I listen to it like two or three times through when it comes on, every time.

Any one else have a song like this?

2. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

The song "Fireflies" by Owl City makes me think of the day my twin boys were born. The innocence of them and my anticipation. I remember it like it was yesterday.

1 person likes this.
  3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Nice thread.

For me it's Johnnie Taylor, and these two songs in particular:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pl8LDW-P9mU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dm1opP8x3Qo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I remember sitting at the bar with my grandmother at her sister's (my great aunt's) club. During the day when they were closed of course. My great aunt would always give me a can of that nasty TexSun orange juice from behind the bar. I can still smell the cigarette smoke and hear old JT on the juke box. My grandmother was a big woman who couldn't walk well without support. But she would always get up to move to old JT's music.

RIP Grandmomma, Aunt MJ, and Johnnie Taylor.

4. Oz Rocket

Oz Rocket Member

Great thread.

Driving through the Mallee district of Victoria (hot and just desolate country) going to my Grandmother’s house for Christmas.

Listening to The Boxer by Simon & Garfunkel one of only a handful of decent music my father had.

5. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tYTwIZslZXo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    and eifel 65-blue

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I have a vivid memory of sitting in the car in the rain outside of a grocery store on 43rd street in Houston listening to and loving "Puff the Magic Dragon."

7. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I always think to myself if anybody has this problem where i will listen to a song or band and absolutely love the music but it will be during bad time so i force myself to not listen to that song for the sake of bad memories..

8. GIGO

GIGO Member

That's a problem? I always thought that it's part of human nature.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Back in the early 2000's, I was working at a bank when we were robbed. A guy came in dressed in overalls and a Richard Nixon mask. Came right up to me and pointed a long gun at my head. On the way home that day, I listened to this song:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lAF8D0ugyVk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It just happened to be in my CD player. It perfectly summed up how I was feeling while this was all going down.

"I'm not here. This isn't happening."

To this day, I can't listen to this song without thinking of that moment. And I still won't go inside a bank. Drive thru only!

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I could probably make a mix tape for every girl I dated.

1 person likes this.
  11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

driving back from the ranch with my dad when I was little I heard the Devil Went Down to Georgia by Charlie Daniels and I was fascinated. I thought it was especially cool because I got to hear a curse word (b****).

Another was Hi Life from UGK. Friend or a friend picked us up to go pick up some stuff. I was instantly hooked on UGK and i've been trill ever since. :cool:

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

When I was a kid, I thought I was going to hell because I liked the devil's solo better than Johnny's. I still do. I mean, the Devil's solo has a sweet guitar intro followed by a cool drum fill and bass solo, then an awesome atonal solo by the Devil himself. Johnny's....I mean, it's pretty much just a standard basic fiddle solo...the same thing over and over. Didn't really do anything for me...

One time, at band camp, I was a freshman and a couple of the seniors invited me into their room and played me this amazing song called Roxanne. My first introduction to the greatest band of all time, The Police.

1 person likes this.
  13. mick fry

mick fry Member

Cmon drummer, The Police? The greatest? Nah. The one song I can think of right now but I'm sure there are too many to mention is Simple Minds- Don't you forget about me.

14. cheeno

cheeno Contributing Member

i know it may be a bit cliche but,

When you fall for someone who don't feel the same way...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K6f9fc1Vuzg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I had a rough time growing up as a kid because I always thought that my friends and homies will always be there. I would always be a homie no matter what but things change. Now im married and when i look back at certain parts of my life i feel like im a god damned idiot. This song always hits hard.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ye9JGy4JAZ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

That's my 9/11 and divorce song...needless to say I don't do radiohead anymore...;)

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tcHNHRGPkkw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Every time I hear "Linus and Lucy" it reminds me of my childhood and all the fond memories of the holidays! There's nothing like being a kid and it's getting close to Christmas!!!

[​IMG]

Not a bad choice! ... ;)

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

Donna Donna - by Joan Baez

This song gave me chills as a child. Part of the lyrics were:

I lived in a high story apartment in an isolated Stockholm street. I could hear the wind at times blowing out my window. I imagined the wind with this big pale face just giving this sinister smile outside my window staring at me through my thick Snoopy blanket. It didn't help that Joan's voice was this soft monotonous dead-woman voice. So whenever I hear this song (not too often thankfully), I am reminded of those lonely nights I spent hiding under the blanket as the wind with the smiling face staring at me from the window.

WTF is the song even about? Cows being slaughtered at the market? Who writes songs like that??

18. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I have no explanation for why I remember this so well, because it was a pretty unremarkable night, but I somehow distinctly remember one night soon after Vitalogy was released in late 1994, which means I was probably 15. I was at home by myself on either a Friday or Saturday night and just lied on my bed and turned the volume really loud and listened to "Better Man". It somehow had a big impact on me, cause now every time I hear that song I remember that night and just get transported back to that time. It's weird how memories can be triggered like that.

19. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I'm old enough to have done that.