1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Transfer Advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nuggets4, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

OK, I'm hoping someone here has transferred colleges before and can help me a little.

Long story short, my father passed away last year, the school I was at was upset at me for missing the first week of school for this (he passed away the Friday before school started, auto accident, no warning, etc.). I didn't like how they handled it, so after three years there, I transferred to the University of Colorado.

Well, today after trying to get my transcript stuff cleared up, I found out that they were slightly misinformed (their word, not mine). Instead of 78 of my 84 credits from UNC transferring there, 6 of my 84 credits transferred.

Right now, I am a little upset for obvious reasons. I'm trying to set up an appointment with the head of my department to find out what the hell is going on here, but does anyone have any other suggestions if that doens't work?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Who's fault was it? Did the original school not send all the info, or did your new school just screw up?

I don't think you'll have a problem. They will probably just ask you to get all the transcripts in within a certain time period. Usually schools aren't too sctrict on this stuff, in my experience.

3. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

What're they? All Ds or something?

Do they not count as the classes they were but do count as free electives, or do they just not come in at all?

I've had situations as I've gone from school to school where a class I took didn't transfer as that class, and I had to take it again. But the original class always counted as an elective (sometimes, though, that was meaningless since I didn't need any more electives).

I've never had a situation where so much stuff just didn't transfer, though. But Texas universities are very good about the core courses being largely transferrable among Texas universities. And I've always stayed within Texas.

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I transferred after my first semester in college and I remember getting a document from my new school that showed what transferred which included the course at the old school, what it was equivalent to at the new school, and the credits plus I think, my grades.

Ask someone in records at your current school if they have on file in your record a form that showed what all transferred from your old school to this one. I am guessing that they should have something like that or close to it.

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I'm sure its just a clerical error or a misunderstanding.

I bet they will take care of it.

6. acejeff5

acejeff5 Member

unc is way better, stay there, damn good school , or come to UT , pimp also

7. Nuggets4

Jeff, just to clarify, UNC is University of Northern Colorado. Sorry, it's a common thing here in this state, and I always forget about the "other" UNC.

OK, I've talked to a bunch of people, and finally gotten the name of a dean to talk to. I'm making progress. To answer some questions:

* UNC sent all of the info (although my official final transcript hasn't arrived there yet)
    * The worst grade on my transcript is a C. Lots of B's. I'm a decent student.
    * All of my classes transferred, they just don't fill any requirements at CU. Perfect example, according to the woman that helped me, even though it's the exact same course, with the exact same books, the music history class at UNC is classified as a 2000 level class there (they want you to take it as a soph) while the music history class at CU is a 3000 level.

Right now, it's a huge mess. Hopefully I get this cleared up tomorrow mornign because the woman I talked to signed me up for a class that I don't think I need and I really don't want to take.

8. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

UNC is where Kobe's accuser went, and then she didn't come back this year.... are you Kobe's accuser?

On a serious note... I bet you can work something out. My guess is you are going to loose eight hours but get the rest. I have done this before so I kind of know what I am talking about.

9. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I have never attempted a transfer but I find this very bizzar. You are transfering to a beter school within you state which is likely quite common. If you talk to someone in charge you should be able to get things worked out. If you have to go to the dean in at the top of your degree program. Best advice, dont give up untill you are satisfied.

Good luck.

10. LeGrouper

Because it is very important,

what would you classify your overall GPA as being:

good
    great
    one of the best ever
    the best ever

So I can know where you stand when you place your transcript in front of the dean.

11. Nuggets4

To keep my scholorship at UNC, I had to have above a 3.25 GPA. I never lost my scholarship. Beyond that, I have no idea what my GPA is. I fully expect to lose around 8 credits. UNC has different gen ed requirements than CU. Some of mine don't fit with CU, so they're pointless. However, 70-some is a bit extreme.

This just pisses me off because I could have graduated 3 months from right now if I would have stayed at UNC, but I decided to transfer and add a second major. Now this. Ugh.

As for the Kobe accuser thing, I think I know the girl. I had a friend (casual, met once or twice) that was from Eagle (we're both west slopers so we talked about it) and was a frosh. So I've been avoiding the Kobe thing as much as humanly possible, like most people in this state.

12. LeGrouper

If you have about that then go in there and give em hell. They will work something out with you.

13. LeGrouper

And just out of curiosity, do the nuggets have a bbs?

I think ya'll are going to have ya'lls best years ever in the next five or so.

14. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

LeGrouper, is right. You have a good GPA so go after them with all you have. Also you may want to think about all of the possible arguments that may arise from your situation before your meeting. I find this helps a great deal when talking to administration.

15. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

It may be a situation where the individual heads of the departments have to approve the courses as being substantially similar to count as the CU courses.

I had a situation like that where I transferred a Physics class from Texas Tech. I had to go to the head of the Physics department (whose name was VanDoren, but I didn't have the gall to ask if he was one of the Game Show Cheater VanDorens) and get him to sign off on that class in order for it to count toward my science requirement at the new school.

And sometimes, schools are just jerks about these sorts of things (like in the case of my stats class. It was a 2000-level class at the original school, and at the new school, the same stats class was a 3000-level course, so the new school wouldn't take it as transfer despite my well-reasoned arguments, and I had to take the course again.

But yeah, a lot more of your hours should count as the same classes at the new school.

16. Nuggets4

Right now, I'm gonna start with the killing them with kindness plan. Tomorrow I hope to meet with this dean. He never returned my call, so I'm just going to stop by.

If that doesn't work however, all bets are off.

Kind of. If you want serious Nugs talk, it's really hard to find. There's one board tha tI post on regularly, but the problem is that there are a lot of people there who like to take everything off-topic and make it a mess. If you want to wade through the crap, head to the Denver Post. That's where a good chunk of us post. You can usually tell which posters are worth a damn and which aren't.