1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

I agree the team has problems that extend beyond poor rebounding last night. But since we were on the topic of allowing 20 offensive rebounds to the Nets, surely you must agree that DMo at PF + Ariza at SF is better than Ariza at PF + Harden/Thornton at SF?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

DMo rebounds better than Thornton and he can stretch the floor with his 3 point shooting and can score in the post if things get stagnant. DMo is exactly what the team is missing....but he's not the only thing they are missing. Sure a healthy DMo returning would help on both sides of the ball, but chemistry is still going to take time.

3. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Yes I agree and a healthy TJ will help on the glass as well, but this team giving up 20 offensive boards without DMO playing is inexcusable IMO.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

the fact that you're actually trying to call out DH for the rebounding problems last night is the issue. he's not the problem if you're actually watching what is going on. far from it

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There is nobody even pretending to box out right now. Opponents know if they crash the glass they have a great chance to grab a rebound. I saw Chuck Hayes do it more in one quarter than I've seen from everybody else. D-mo excels in this, particularly at the 4 when he's paired with a rebounding 5.

Jones has always been terrible in this regard. He tries to go after the rebounds he can, but he never tries to prevent the opponent from getting it. Harrell isn't good either, and the guards are obviously overmatched. I knew D-mo would be important this year given how steep the drop off is after him. But now that I've seen Jones and Harrell play, D-Mo may be our 3rd most important player.

If D-mo comes back and struggles for whatever reason, we're screwed.

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I know he won't fix that but he can at least stop it from being as bad as it is.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

I think some are vastly overstating DMo's "lack of rebounding ability".

DMo averaged 9.9 rebounds per 48 last year, and 10.2 when he and Dwight played in the same game.

Those are in the same arena as Blake Griffin (10.3 per 48) and Dirk Nowitzki (9.6). Both Blake and Dirk played next to centers that were in the top 3 in the league in rebounding per 48: Jordan (20.9) and Chandler (18.1).

But even if DMo isn't a great rebounder, he's still better than Ariza (our current starting PF) by nature of his size. Ariza is averaging about 7 rebounds per 48 this season (he averaged 7.5 last season).

I'm not saying that DMo is an elite or above average rebounder, but he is better than Ariza, and we would be fine rebounding the ball with him playing PF next to Dwight and Capela.

8. omgTHEpotential

This. I don't get the constant ragging on DMo's weaknesses and using those as an argument to state he's not the right player for us. If DMo was a shot-blocker and a good rebounder he'd pretty much be an All-Star/Superstar already. But guys like DMo (who have some obvious weaknesses) make up the majority of this league and teams are built in a way to disguise its players weaknesses and accentuate the strengths. That's why guys who are weaker rebounders but good scorers are usually paired with good rebounders/defenders and so on.

9. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Sweet, now we're pretty much looking at roughly New Years at best. Sigh.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

12. Rivers

Rivers Member

Few more months and he is gonna be back! :p

13. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Looking dumber and dumber to have allowed Josh to leave for peanuts.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why do people keep saying this? The Rockets offered him MORE to stay, he chose to take LESS to leave.....because he's an idiot.

15. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I know it is the back and that is tricky. But man I want this man back. Watching highlights of him we do miss what he brings. I am betting All Star break, then a month to gel. Right in time for the playoffs. Could be a good thing. Teams will not have faced us in the year with him. May be worth a win or two extra come post season.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He took the next step up in his rehab, and its depressing?

What's depressing is some of you guys took BobbytheGreat's infinite back surgery rehab knowledge as gospel truth.

If D-Mo is back playing by Christmas with no setbacks, and is completely healthy for the long haul then its a win for the Rockets & fans alike.

Also there is this-

So he's got pretty far ramped up workouts it sounds like which is a great sign. If he's on the court now that means he's getting positive feedback from intense workouts, and things are looking good. What we don't want to hear are about setbacks which typically happen after major surgeries.

This news is far from depressing IMO.

17. hakeemthagreat

Well to be fair, McHale's playing small and not making the necessary adjustments. I understand going small to start the game. But why not play Harrell when you see us getting KILLED on the boards. Outside of Dwight, Harrell's the only physical player that plays PF for us. Yet Harrell sat at the end of the bench all game against Brooklyn smh. I'd rather play Harrell than Jones at this point

18. basketballholic

Agree with you on the boxing out issue. However Howard does box out and position himself some. But your point about DMo boxing out is true. He does do a fundamental good job with that. The problem DMo has in rebounding is he does not or cannot lower his center of gravity enough to get leverage over the guys he's boxing out. Hence they can out-jump him or get him out of position. I don't know if it's a deal of cannot or will not. I really think it might be a cannot proposition. He just doesn't seem to have the flexibility to get low enough on his base to be a great rebounder. But I do agree the fundamental box-out technique is there.

I agree with this too. Hayes is not a great numerical rebounder. But when he is in there (from his stint before) we almost always out rebounded the opponent, even if we were outsized. Because Hayes could hold off 2 opponents with his low and strong base. He might not have grabbed the board but he knew how to position box-out and create the most space for his teammates. DMo has some of this knack in his game. He's not as good at it as Chuck was/is. But DMo is a very cererbral player. He plays winning basketball and everything he does doesn't show up in a box score. Just like Hayes' contributions could not be measured on the box score.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

From a cynic's point of view I have been thinking the same thing with DMO. Kept on ice until Tjones can be moved.