1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Stephan Curry is unguardable...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sugrlndkid, Oct 31, 2015.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That's not what I said. Of course he has improved, but Kerr's system has drastically aided in that. To not acknowledge that is foolish.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yeah. He could definitely shoot it well, no doubt. But Kerr's system produces so much more open looks and added efficiency, and that's not a knock on Steph at all.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

how many of curry shots are truly wide open. he shoots with defenders in his face, off the dribble. take your pick, he shoots it regardless. don't make it seem like he's just sitting on wide open looks. the system doesn't let him make those shots.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He has many wide open looks. He has many heavily contested looks. It's not one or the other. He's obviously the best shooter of all time and obviously will be a HOF player.

All I'm saying is to not acknowledge the vast upgrade from Mark Jackson to Steve Kerr and the effect it had on Curry's game is silly.

5. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

He obviously has the ability, but it is also the roster and system they play in. When you can spread the floor and have guys who are both solid shooters AND penetrators it leads to a total collapse of the d on just about every trip down court. PNR with Green with Klay spotted up on one angle, Barnes and Iggy in the corners is lethal. All of them can shoot, all of them can drive, all of them can pass. If Curry was on just about any other team there are guys you can abandon to double team hard. I really believe the only way to slow him down is to make him play d, and make him play through contact. No more easy shots and layups where he can dance down court. He drives, you lay him out. Make him be like Wade and Iverson had to be where they were constantly picking themselves up off the court. Think that wont affect your legs at the end of the game/season?

6. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

We need the "Curry Rules".

7. conquistador#11

if he keeps those numbers up for the entire season, i'll quit watching all basketball in general.

8. gah

gah Member

Look at that smug face. But yeah, if I was this dominant, truth be told, I'd probably be, lyrically, Talib Kweli.

1 person likes this.
  9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Repped for the Talib reference.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

People used to say that Steve Nash was the product of D'Antoni's system. The fact was, Nash was already a great player with the Mavs. And it was more accurate to say that D'Antoni's system WAS Nash. Sure he had a coach that could maximize his abilities. That says more about how the coach was able to capitalize a player's greatness than about the player fitting the system.

I remember a vintage discussion about great football players. One comment came up: "You are saying that Earl Campbell was a great running back because the Oilers ran a lot from the I-formation?" It is very simple. The Oilers ran a lot of I-formation because of Earl, not the other way around.

11. tksense

tksense Member

Exactly. It's like even Jeremy Lin can look like a great player if all you do is let him run pnr and drive all day. Because these are truly what he's good at.

I believe players play at a higher level when they buy in or believe the coach put them in positions to succeed.

12. Soybean Fanatic

That's not quite true.

Nash had been a two-time all star when he left Dallas in the summer of 2004. He'd been on two All-NBA 3rd teams, the last time in 2003. At that point he was about 30 and had had a down season without allstar appearance behind him (mainly because of a bad back).

At that point, **NOBODY** was expecting him to make any 1st All-NBA-teams in the rest of his career, much less win an MVP trophy.

Then, two things happened: the hand checking rule change and D'Antoni's system. The rest is history.

13. CertifiedTroll

Uhhh, smug face? Do you mean smiling?

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The Warrior-love is to keep going unabated this season. Warriors have come out hot, but ESPN has a headline saying they are off to the strongest start in history... winning 4 games. The '94 Rockets started 15-0. Warriors run up the score in 4 games, and now it's historic?

The other thing that bothers me about the coverage of the Warriors is Draymond Green quotes. This has nothing to do with Green himself, but journalists seem to have decided it's best to render his lazy speech verbatim instead of normalizing it for text. If Stephen Curry swallows a vowel at the end of a word, or drops a verb, or contracts a couple of words that ought not be contracted, they'll patch it up. When Green does it, the journalists suddenly turn into Mark Twain.

15. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Wait till they play the thunder. He's the best pg though right now.

16. bcast89

bcast89 Member

Gotta send him to the hardwood a little more frequently. He'll think twice about some of the things he usually does with ease.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

people keep saying that but that doesn't make much of a difference

18. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Beware, he's the new golden boy of NBA (Adam Silver's at least, in contrast to David Stern's LeBron James). You send him to the floor on purpose, you probably get suspended 10 games. You lose 1 month of pay.

19. Handles

Handles Member

He is the golden boy and he deserves it. He and Westbrook are fantastic to watch. (Though the Westbrook acting gets to me sometimes. And the TOs when he gets outta control :eek:)

20. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

21/49 isn't 49%. it's 43%.