1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Thunder are trying to stay alive in Dallas -- it's Game 6. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. davidghall

davidghall Member

Who would you say are some of the worst current coaches in the NBA? If McHale isn't one, I don't know who is.

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

They don't care if McHale is bad, that's the thing. They want Harden to Jordan us to a ring.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

When you think he isn't championship caliber when the team is in win now mode(at least us fans were given that impression) then why wouldn't you want to fire him especially when there are some obviously superior coaches that currently aren't coaching any team now and are possibly willing to take on the Rockets(JVG).

4. fchowd0311

And Harden ain't no Jordan... not even close... not even in the same galaxy.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

McHale has a .600 record as Rockets coach.

Not many coaches can say that.

Edit for fchowd0311: JVG's coaching record here? .555

6. davidghall

davidghall Member

So every team in the league with a good record has a good coach, and every team with a bad record has a bad coach? And talent has nothing to do with it?? You're not using your intelligence very well.

7. fchowd0311

And? Roster depth and talent have no play in this... right? JVG had a over the hill T-Mac and an injured Yao Ming to work with along with absolutely atrocious supporting casts.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

JVG had T-Mac in his prime and a healthy Yao.

You're getting him confused with Adelman.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

Name me a top 4 seed team with a bad head coach from say the last 3 seasons?

10. fchowd0311

T-Mac was never in his prime with the Rockets. If you think Mcgrady was in his prime with the Rockets, you never saw Orlando Mcgrady play. Mcgrady's prime was REALLY short... like 3 seasons short. What worries me is Harden has a similar demeanor to Mcgrady.

11. davidghall

davidghall Member

Oklahoma City and Scotty Brooks.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

We're making the wrong kind of HISTORY!

This is sickening and sad.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

So it's Brooks fault Harden got traded, Durant and Westbrook got injured now?

I see there's a trend here. Blame coaches for problems they have no control over.

14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Houston Rockets-Kevin McHale :grin:

1 person likes this.
  15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

First of all, if we're referring to McHale as a "coach in training" at this stage of his career(7th year as a coach, 5th with the Rockets), he shouldn't be on the sidelines. Secondly, while I do give him props for the 3-1 comeback last season, overall he's been an average coach at best with this organization.

His first season as coach, the team had a 96% shot at the playoffs late in the year and collapsed down the stretch to wind up in the lottery again. The next season, they again had a late season collapse which landed them in the 8th seed against OKC instead of the 6th seed vs Denver(who were upset by a young, inexperienced Warriors team). The season after that, they looked awful against the Blazers and....well, you know what happened in that series.

Last season was really the only one that didn't end in major disappointment IMO and even that nearly didn't happen were it not for the heroics of Smith and Brewer in Game 6. Let's not forget the Rockets came out completely unprepared in Game 1 vs an exhausted Clippers team sans Chris Paul, were humiliated in B2B blowouts in LA in Games 3 and 4, and were getting their asses kicked in Game 6(in part because of McHale's asinine Hack-a-DeAndre move late in the 1st half) before the comeback.

I think you have to look at the man's entire body of work as a head coach with the Rockets and not just focus on last season. And overall like I said, I'm not that impressed.

2 people like this.
  16. davidghall

davidghall Member

I've felt like Brooks was a mediocre coach for years. Has nothing to do with the injuries and transactions. And I'm not the only one...the guy got fired! It's alright to use your head man. Good coaches can be on bad teams and bad coaches can be on good teams. Don't know why that's so hard to figure out. If you put Popovich on the Bobcats is he a bad coach?

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

No he is not. You're right about that.

18. houtown

houtown Member

How about Marc Jackson at the time? What happened after he possibly stopped coaching the Warriors team?

19. davidghall

davidghall Member

You can definitely make that argument as well. I happen to think Jackson is a pretty good coach. I just think Kerr is one of the best.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

If we get blown out by the Thunder, we might see some changes.