1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Montrezl Harrell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nwcougar, Oct 30, 2015.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Leading scorer in only his second game.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

just imagine if hadn't been inexplicably benched as well

3. Chamillionaire

Thank God. We have our PF to replace _ones.

4. Chamillionaire

Let's give this kid a chance. Let him get some time in RGV and see how he improves. Yeah, not looking good tho.

5. PeppermintCandy

I really love Harrell's energy, but the team isn't going far if it has to rely a lot on the rookie.

Barring a major trade, Howard, DMo and Jones - and to a degree Capela - really have to be the core guys in the frontcourt. Right now, that coming to fruition seems to be at least a few months away.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Beverley, Brewer, Montrezl and Capela is one hell of an energetic bench. Just needs a shooter added to it to space the floor a bit more, maybe Thornton.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He looks like a solid veteran scorer but what about his rebounding numbers?

8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I wonder what new ways 'coach' McHale will find not to play Harrell against Miami.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

wrong thread ignore lol :grin:

11. Rokman

Rokman Member

As of right now I'm going to agree with this, the dude is just unbelievably consistent and his ego doesn't tell him he's so good that he doesn't need to give a $hit like Harden's is doing. Unhealthy ego is a b****!

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I have to admit , I was wrong about Harrell. I thought he would need at least an entire season in RGV. He's ready to contribute.

My one complaint is that he doesn't box out / rebound particularly well. Otherwise he's NBA ready.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Montrezl was billed as a rebounder and defensive stopper. Obviously if his rebounding doesn't improve that would be a problem. But it's exciting to see him shine offensively and I think most of us assume the rebounding will come around.

As for TJ and D-Mo. As far back as last season, a lot of us have been talking about how it's likely at least one of them (if not both) will be traded before the deadline due to their contracts coming to an end. Most of this board seems to agree it should be Jones that is traded.

But what I find interesting is that we've been assuming all along that we'd be getting a power forward back in return. If Montrezl continues to produce, Morey is now free to trade Jones for nothing more than a draft pick if that's the best offer.

I just hope Jones can still command a solid first round pick. I think he would have before his injury troubles last year but he was awful in the playoffs and he has looked awful so far this season. I just don't know.

But then again, with Morey's history of finding second round gems, maybe it doesn't even matter if Jones can't command a first round pick.

I'm really starting to wish a straight up Jones for Markieff Morris swap was possible under the cap rules. And I'm not really even a fan of Markieff Morris.

14. mclawson

mclawson Member

Those will come around once he figures out how to box out in the NBA. He's still trying to just jump over everyone, which will only take you so far. He should pick up technique fairly quickly from what I've seen and then those numbers should go up a bit.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I still think they need to get a PF in return in the event Jones is traded .... keeping the roster balanced and having a capable player just in case one of DMo or Harrell were to miss any amount of time and with the NBA season being so long .... expecting both of them to be healthy for the duration is asking a lot.

I have no clue what Jones value is .... cant have helped himself with his performance in the first two games.
    Not real sure who I would look at in a deal involving Jones either .... with the salary matching issues , being pretty much dollar for dollar the options are severely limited for now.
    Wouldn't mind snagging Mason Plumlee from Portland .... but he would require more than just Jones in return.

Most of the others we've discussed (Horford , Gibson , Morris) aren't an option until at least December and more likely January. They all make ~$8m or more which the Rockets just cant come up with until Brewer & PatBev are trade eligible .... unless they are willing to throw in Ariza (not happening).

The fact that the Rockets already traded their first round pick in the next draft for Lawson doesn't help.

16. verysimplejason

Or a new coach...

17. Ns575

Ns575 Member

You see NBA GM's and everyone that decides to leave college after 1 year?

These people that stay in college are GROWN MEN.

Some of the one and done's still look like teenagers (as they are)

Another note, I didn't realize that Montrezl has post moves like this. His up and under ball fake in the post looks really really good.

18. lexled

lexled Contributing Member

I watched this guy play in college and was impressed with his play, I thought he would have been a higher draft pick. I guess his lack of height hurt him? Can anyone say Charles Barkley?

I know its early, but this might be our best rookie since Parsons. Dude is a beast and has no fear. Love it!!! Play this guy as much as possible.

19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree. Opposing teams and the league in general are no dummies, at some point if Harrell is anywhere near the vicinity of the basket with the ball they will foul him with complete prejudice. What I love about the kid is his explosiveness and aggression when he attacks the bucket and his free throw form is not bad at all. He's been the only bright spot so far on an entire team that's playing god awful at the moment.

20. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Their time is now and they need a veteran PF who can "rebound and defend. I don't see them trading Jones for a pick.