1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Disrespect is Well Earned

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Oct 29, 2015.

1. photojoe

photojoe Member

...sigh...

Yes. Billy Donovan has been a good coach so far. At the college level. Just like I said, we have seen a lot of good college coaches that were not good in the pros.

"People like you" probably would have said the same thing about John Calipari. That we should 'look at his track record. He is a winner.' And then he failed in the NBA. Or Rick Pitino. Another good college coach that failed in the NBA. Or shoot, I know it's a different sport, but Nick Saban is one of the best college football coaches and he failed in the NFL. The college game, in both sports, is different than the pro game. Some coaches are good at one but not good at the other.

Of course there are also coaches who were good in college and also good in the NBA. Brad Stevens seems to be one.

I'm not saying that Billy Donovan won't be a good NBA coach. I'm just saying that we literally have no idea yet. He has coached one NBA game. One. And the fact that he was a winner in college proves nothing at this point. Maybe he will be a great coach? Maybe he won't? There is no way you can put him in the same category, when it comes to NBA coaches, as Popovich.

What does Steve Kerr have to do with any of that?

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

You don't have to have coached in the NBA before to be a good / great coach. Steve Kerr being prime example and Donovan to follow.

OTOH you could have coached several years and still be a lousy coach like McHale.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Knee jerk thread.

4. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

A lot of new faces in the rotation last night. They'll be fine. I don't anticipate this team having a lot of nights of 34% shooting. I expect to see much better defensive rotations when Dwight comes back on Friday.

This will look knee jerk when we beat GS and the Heat.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It's not how you start . . .
    It's how you end.

Rocket River

6. Ubigman

Ubigman Member

how do you know that? This team is full of below average shooters shooting 3s all game long

7. Kash

Kash Member

I will admit, it was very disconcerting to watch how soft Houston were in the middle with rim protection. TJones looked extremely soft. I'm not going to overreact, but it does open my eyes a little on what issues we'll potentially face. Overall, Denver played like the season started and Houston was still in preseason mode--very dissapointing.

8. photojoe

photojoe Member

Yes. "You don't have to have coached in the NBA before" to be a good/great coach.

I think you are missing my point.

I'm not saying that Billy Donovan is a bad coach. Just like you said, he was a great college coach and NBA teams have tried for awhile now to get him as a coach in the NBA. He very well may turn out to be a good or great NBA coach as well. At the same time, just because he was a great college coach doesn't necessarily mean he will be a great NBA coach. He might. He might now. We will see with time.

In your original post, you said that you enjoyed watching the Spurs/OKC game because it was two brilliant tactician coaches, or something along those lines. I understand you saying that about Popovich, he has proven that time and time again over the course of a long and very successful NBA coaching career.. The only thing that I was trying to say is that Donovan hasn't proved that at the NBA level yet. That's all. Time will tell with him.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Harden, Terry, Ariza, Beverley and Lawson are not below average 3 point shooters... Brewer has been shooting better since he got here and Marcus Thorton didn't even see the court.

If you don't see that as being part of our downfall and an anomally look at their 32% FG percentage for the game.... we were missing point blank layups and dunks.

I don't have a crystal ball obviously but on most nights we will not see this type of performance from this club. Pretty simply, shots just weren't falling for us.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

For you time will tell. For me I already know that he is a brilliant tactician. Just like I knew when Steve Kerr took the GSW job. I didn't need him to win a ring to regret that the Rockets missed out

11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I think you're missing the point. Your arguing that Donovan hasn't proved he's a good NBA coach. That's empirically correct, due to time constraints. However, assuming we are unable to extrapolate coaching performances based on prior data in a different league isn't exactly sound.

Also, condensending sighs before your long explanations are a great way to announce to your opposition that you didn't actually review your position after it received criticism. It's actually a perfect way to explain why you have trouble seeing a good coach before they perform. It's very easy to know a coach is good after he's won. It's hard, but nowhere near impossible, to know a coach is good before he wins.

12. Jakey

Jakey Member

How did you know when Steve Kerr took the GSW job that he was a brilliant tactician? If I'm not mistaken, it was his first coaching gig of any kind.

13. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

1 out of 82, stop it, this team will gel and rip off victories. They took Denver lightly and looked ahead to GS. Don't panic until after all star break when the real season starts.

14. malakas

malakas Member

No. We shouldn't quit whinning and protesting against the bias of the media.
    I'm sick and tired of hearing about the Bulls the Celtics and Lakers and Knicks. Screw them and screw the big markets.
    Why not talk about an actual contender like the Rockets instead?
    Why always overlook the team?
    I will continue complaining because that's the only way to finally get some good journalism and analysis.

The Cavs lost to the Knicks on their home opener last year.
    The KNICKS. A team that ended up winning a grand total of 17 games. (and two of them were by accident against other tanking teams or teams that didn't care).
    Then the Cavs went to the NBA finals.
    Yes it is. There is no other team in the league that has more talent top to botom. A team with three stars with such depth.

I would put Blatt as bad as Mchale actually and I dont' have a high opinion at all on Doc Rivers either.

15. Ryris

Ryris Member

Theres also going to be a lot of growing pains with a new playmaker. Last night they weren't on the same page along with other ailments lead to the the disaster we saw last night, but I'm optimistically thinking they will get it together, and i saw flashes of some special stuff and Howard will make a huge difference especially with playmaking Lawson. Staggering Harden and Lawson's minutes will prevent that ugly ball from last year when Josh Smith was our second best playmaker.

16. pippsux

pippsux Member

Let's just pray we don't get smoked by the warriors whom we have Pissed off since we Have been mouthing off at.

Preseason prepares you for the season, and if you don't prepare well you rely on i So hero ball. Championship teams don't do that.

17. chandlerbang21

that Twolves offense looked very nice last night also. Lots of ball movement even when thowing the ball in the post to Towns. Same for the Pistons. Seems teams are taking the pass first approach after watching last nights games. The rockets look to be playing the same with a bit of Lawson running head down to the rim looking for the pass instead of the shot.

18. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

19. chandlerbang21

And he wont play the 2nd gm of back to backs this season so how many times will we see the team fail due to him resting on the bench? Another center is needed by trade or FA

20. chandlerbang21

Sorry this is the western confrence. Houston could be battling to stay in 7th place at that time.