1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The BOXING thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Angkor Wat, Jun 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

2. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

AL Haymon runs boxing

3. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Hahaha.

Yeah, I'm with Panda. I don't follow how you can appreciate Rig and not appreciate GGG. He came out with a gameplan, and executed it so well that Lemieux looked discouraged after the 2nd freaking round. He landed at a super high rate for jabs and power shots. He seems to have a pretty tough chin too since he took a few shots. This was supposed to be a decent step up in competition and wasn't even close.

Now what does he do? Does he hope that the winner of Cotto and Canelo will take a fight with him? Does he accept crappy terms to a fight with Ward? I can't wait and seeeee

4. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I was watching a "Classic Match" last night on Showtime. On the undercad it had Pauley Malignaggi. I don't get it about him. I've only seen him get beat up but Showtime tries to pass him off as a legitimate voice with a legitimate boxing reputation.

Someone school me, please...

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I like his commentary...I hated him as a fighter. But I came to respect him a lot more as he got older. But as a commentator I appreciate what he has to say.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think cotto wants no piece of GGG. I think Canelo is game, but I don't see either of them beating GGG.

7. what

what Member

So now GGG is a technical boxer?

8. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I didn't mean to imply that, no. I think that he's an entertaining fighter, when you said he's boring. Totally fine you feel that way obviously.

You said he's like Mayweather with KO ability. I think we can agree he's not quite that (on the Mayweather part), but if he turns out to be, how is that not an entertaining boxer? Would that not make him a boxer puncher ala Rigondeaux who you deem entertaining?

9. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

triple duck only 120,000 ppv buys some say as low as 97k

10. Victorious

Victorious Member

lol @ saying ggg is "mayweather w/ ko ability" umm what? they are nothing alike. horrible comparison. how can anyone not be entertained by that card? gonzales and ggg showed that boxing doesn't have to be boring. roman gonzales might be the most exciting fighter in the sport

you dont become an a ppv star overnight. cotto sold like 80k in his first

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

If you knew anything about boxing you'd know that GGG has always been a very technically sound boxer. He has great ring generalship, very good balance and cuts off the ring very well, and has rather underrated defense.

He has a fan-friendly style because he's just naturally heavy handed and has perfect punching mechanics and this high pressure mentality has been moulded by Abel Sanchez.

Just because he gets careless and all Machismo when he's in there with non-power punchers doesn't mean he doesn't have the skill to defend himself when necessary. He dismantled Lemieux and its a joke honestly that you can't appreciate him when you love Rigo.

you take a fb poster from some random over official results? It was 150K. Not great, but in line with what they calculated to make the fight viable for GGG and DL. It performed in line with K2 and HBO's expectations.

They had hoped for 200k, that wouldve been fantastic cause it would've been in line with Cotto WITHOUT a built in national fanbase.

It's funny that you say GGG is ducking, who is he ducking? Ward? Who hasn't had a meaningful fight since 2013? Ward needs to get fighting regularly to get himself back in the public's mind so that the GGG/Ward fight sells well down the line, hes chasing Kovalev for the moment, and GGG is chasing the WBC and WBO belts.

The fight needs to marinate because it's clear GGG needs more than a 16/1 underdog to sell a PPV and Ward needs to try and sell somewhere other than Oakland.

And don't even think about saying Lara. He's a JMW who got sat on his ass by Angulo who is the most agricultural of fighters out there.

12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

No one can say ggg is ducking Ward when Ward fights at 175 now and his most recent fight was a 172 catch weight against bum Paul Smith lol. The GGG hate is real right now but he's a very good fighter with a chance to be great.

Ducking is when you won't fight a guy in your own weight class that's ducking. Boxing is not like basketball or football were u can't avoid a team and it's very unfortunate. I want to see GGG clean out the division and break Bernard Hopkins middleweight title defense asap so he can move up to 168 and 175 and fight the guys everyone wants to see him in the ring with Ward and kovalev.

Nobody at 160 or 168 is going to be able to beat this guy he's just too good and technical with knockout power in both hands. Im a big GGG fan but eventually he's going to have to move up to get the respect he deserves because no matter if he fights Canelo or cotto and wins people will say they were to small and Andy lee was no elite. He just can't win at this weight.

By the way noway cotto or Canelo fight GGG they both don't want anything to do with this guy. I'm sure whoever wins will give the belt up to not fight GGG.

Rigo is great too could be the best fighter in the sport but he needs to fight more because even the casual boxing fan prob hasn't seen him fight or even know who he is. But he's a very elite talent. Hopefully him and Loma can get in the ring in the next 18 months that fight would be epic.

13. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

If Lara moved up to 160, he could beat Golovkin. It won't be easy for him but he could easily outbox him. Golovkin would also have a hard time with Canelo although I think he would hurt Canelo late when he gasses out. **** Anthony Dirrell could probably beat him too.

14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

GGGs infinitly better than Canelo at cutting off the ring. He stops him pretty handily

15. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

lol abel sanchez: willie monroe is a bigger name than erislandy lara

triple duck

16. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

lol bumolkvinn cant draw flies to poop.. rick glasser is reporting 97,000

andre ward called out triple duck and triple duck's manager said maybe in 2017... Andre Ward will fight Kovalev by the end of 2016 beat the kan krusher, and then take triple ggg

Terence Crawford will be the new face of boxing, but thats just me.. he needs to sign with al haymon tho

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

umm no the the official number is 150,000 keep smoking the good stuff

andre ward called out GGG after he already finalised a middleweight unification fight with David Lemieux LOL, it seems Ward is a bit slow to every party

You do know Andre Wards latest proposed boxing match on the cotto canelo card got rejected for being a mismatch? Whats the #1 p4p dude doing fighting #31 ranked SMW in the LHW division LMAO.

GGG is collecting belts and wants the be the undisputed at MW while Ward hasn't done **** since beating a severely weight drained Dawson.

Ward drew 325,000 views on FREE TV LMAO while GGG gets 1M-1.5M on the regular on HBO.

Ward is #1 p4p but the dude has killed his own career cause he got the ****s with fighting for $2m purses under Goosen.

Ward is doing what Froch does and that is latching onto GGGs stardom by dropping his name at every opportunity.

SOG more like Son Of Golovkin

18. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

facts when ward fought chad dawson on hbo that did higher numbers than any triple duck fight on boxing after dark

listen man triple duck like lomochenko keep ducking prime opposition... lomo is running from walters and rigo

triple duck is being called out by bobo andrade, lara, and ward.. maybe in 2017 lol

keep ducking those cubans

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

al haymon isn't good for boxing

20. Panda23

Panda23 Member

seems counting ain't your strongest suit;

Ward vs Dawson - 1.3 million

Ward vs Rodriguez - 1.03 million

Ward vs Smith - 325,000 (ahem)

GGG vs Munroe Jr - 1.34 million

GGG vs Rubio - 1.3 million

GGG vs Stevens -1.41 million

few points; Lara would absolutely get sparked out. I had him winning 115-113 against Canelo but the dude barely followed up his offense and couldn't take a body shot from Canelo who looked average as hell and can't cut of the ring. The dude went full cuban amateur style when Canelo got to his body a bit and he lost the fight more than Canelo winning it. Pathetic display

Golovkins best attribute sans his sense of distance, timing and power is his ability to cut off the ring. no 154lb fighter is going to hurt Golovkin who has been in there with much bigger punchers.

Golovkin walks through his offence, traps him and finishes him in the mid-rounds.

Lara got sat on his ass by skilled boxing technician Peru Angulo LMAO and wasted the biggest opportunity of his life against Canelo when he was content to potshot.

Lara had the gall to say he destroyed Canelo more than Mayweather did which is the most r****ded statement ever, Mayweather put on a boxing clinic and rendered that little mexican gunshy, its like saying Ward can fill out an arena.

Umm not sure why you're bringing up loma (beginning to see a trend here) but Walters couldn't even make weight in his last fight and got stripped of his belt iirc.