1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. no.3 for no.1

no.3 for no.1 Member

If it has not been mentioned before, Rays BBQ near UH is great.

I would recommend the brisket and ribs, DO NOT FORGET TO GET THE FRIED CORN.

2. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Went to Killeens yesterday. Is the bone on the beef rib usually heavier than the meat portion? Purchased 1.5lbs and probably got about half the weight or less in meat.

I think I rather spend $35 on a steak at a good restaurant instead.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Beef rib is not cheap, yes the bone weighs a lot. However, when done right, it's very good.
    Brisket is the best deal if you want meat to price.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

My dad used to bbq beef ribs when I was a kid. I'd take beef ribs done right over brisket. But sadly, yes, meat prices are going nuts.

5. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Which restaurant in Houston sells burnt ends?

6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Yes, GET THE FRIED CORN GOD DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

8. the shark

the shark Member

Eating some Killen's brisket (outside cut) right now, and this stuff could start a 3rd world war!!!

This is the 2nd time I've had it. Also have some turkey, green beans, and Mac N Cheese as well as some carrot cake. Got there at 10:20am, and I was the 10th person in line. By the time they opened the line probably had close to 200 people (and growing). Got it to go.

I've never had Franklin's, and I would like to hear some feedback from those that have had the brisket at both locations (Killen's & Franklin's) and your thoughts on which was better? Just the brisket.

9. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

Ate there on Tuesday. There was a line, but nothing crazy..maybe 10-15 minutes By the time I left there was no line. The new place is a way better set up than the trailer they had. I would still put their brisket against anybody's, including Killens. The sides are way better at Killens, but I think the brisket and sausage at Corkscrew on par if not better.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Had lunch there with a bbq pal and he said it was comparable with LA bbq in austin. Very similar central texas style. He's never been to Franklin's. I have, i say Franklin's is better, but this is not far from it. Actually the line is better at Killen's, so i would probably go there more despite i only visit houston once a month.

You should definitely try both

11. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Does Killen's serve burnt ends?

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The ones who burn their brisket ends?

Just guessing

13. body slam

body slam Member

Can not think of the name, but its on 1179. From hwy 6 exit Briarcrest 1179 there is a Target there. Go about 3 miles (+/-) on 1179. On the left there will be a little store that also sells bbq. The place is not much to look at but the bbq is good.

14. body slam

body slam Member

Frank's Country Store

15. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Well I had a reason to be in the middle of no where this morning so I took the opportunity to check Snow's BBQ off the bucket list. It was some of the best I've had, very moist and tasty.

https://instagram.com/p/-ojce6q_sH/

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

That looks amazing.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I went to killens day before Thanksgiving. Two hour wait.

then they tell us they're out of the rib plate.

Luckily we were still able to get ribs by the pound. Also tried brisket, jalapeƱo sausage, and Turkey. Beef rib and medium sauce were my favorite.

Are the lines getting longer or was it just for holiday week?

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Went to Killen's Tuesday. Wait was 90 mins. The sliced beef was the best I've ever had. The pulled pork was 8.5/10. The bread pudding was incredible.

Will be going back during my Christmas vacation.

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I gotta get down to Killens...never been. I'm more of the back yard cook-it-myself kind of guy.

Right now I've got 2 slabs of beef ribs, a huge slab of St. Louis style pork ribs, and a whole chicken on my smoker in the back yard. Chicken should be ready for lunch, the rest for dinner.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I guess I need to try Killeens again. Everyone says how great the brisket is but it was Papa's BBQ quality when I went (yuck).

Also, since I work 2 minutes away, I've had a lot more of Gatlins -- thats pretty damn good for those who haven't tried it. And likely closer than Killeens for some -- 610 & Ella