1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Camera recommendation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Oct 19, 2015.

1. waste55

waste55 Member

True. I was just meaning the higher level "mirrorless vs dlsr".

Still it is my first "real" camera and I've been happy with it as someone just now getting into stuff other than pocket cameras.

Lots of settings to be able to tweak, but still some decent canned scene presets to have on the fly. Small enough to want to bring it along.

Downside probably is lens selection but for someone just now getting into it like me he probably wont run out and buy up tons of lens. I have the kit lens and the sony 50-200mm zoom and I'll be fine for a bit (I want an f/1.8 like you mentioned though!)

2. dragician

dragician Member

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

$800 for a point and shoot? Got damn. Maybe I'll just stick to the camera on my Moto G.

I guess a good $300 camera isn't realistic.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Maybe not $300 unless you buy heavily used, but you don't have to spend$800 either.

Try Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D3200...963640?hash=item463ff88a38:g:7KIAAOSwLVZV2awZ

Then save up a little for a lens like this and you won't be sorry after you see some of the pics that you'll get from it...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...199_AF_S_Nikkor_50mm_f_1_8G.html/prm/alsVwDtl

5. Nero

Nero Member

Heck man, I'll sell you my 3200 with the basic lens for $300.. at least you don't have to mess with Ebay that way.. I've hung onto it, but I have not used it since I got the 5200, so it's just wasting away. I'd rather see someone use it, especially with a new baby.

Holler if you're interested.

6. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

for 300 you might be able to find a rx100 m2. I was able to snag a rx100 m3 for 500 open box from Best buy and I love it. It's so portable and easy to carry. fits in my pocket (loose/relaxed fit jeans) with a minor bump. My only wish is that the rx100 had a better zoom but works for basically any other situation. It's the best pocketable point and shoot in my opinion. M3 has the EVF which is great on sunny days but the M2 has the hotshoe.

Alternative to high end pocketable point and shoot are the canon GX 7 or GX 9. You might be able to find the GX7 used but the GX9 is fairly new but by the time you're ready it might drop in your range.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What's your email? Or just hit me up through the board. You can send me an email if you click on my name.

8. Nero

Nero Member

Message sent :)

9. bern

bern New Member

Nikon D7100 was my first camera, and I think it's the best

10. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

So I'm looking at buying a new camera for a few trips coming up this summer and I plan on keeping it for quite some time. I often take pics of random stuff, birds, bugs, etc. and my phone just doesn't do it for me. I'm not a camera pro by any means but I'm stuck between a DSLR and a mirrorless one. I don't want to spend more then $500 or so.

I looked at the Nikon B700 and it felt good in my hands and I liked the zoom and it appeared to take some great pics though I didn't upload it on a computer or create a print of it. It was in Auto mode but I want to learn and get to know the camera. I also liked the Sony A600 (though it is kinda pricey). I didn't get to use that one but it was smaller and felt quite nice as well. I also have read the Canon EOS M3 mirroless camera is pretty badass too.

I had a point and shoot camera about 5 or so years ago before the phone cameras started to get better and it took "ok" pics but you couldn't zoom for **** and it would pixelate bad when zooming in on a computer. That was a 10 megapixel point and shoot camera. It was a piece of ****.

Any opinions on either of those 3 above? Or any other ideas (not already listed in this thread) with some newer models, etc? Have point and shoot cameras gotten a lot better? Thanks for your help.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well since this old thread got bumped I'll just say I regret buying a DSLR camera. I'm too lazy to learn all the little things and carrying around all that **** is more trouble than I want. As someone had suggested, I'd have been much better off using thatoney towards a better smart phone because that's how I took all my pictures anyway.

12. MystikArkitect

I hated my old Canon Xti and it took great pictures. It was just so cumbersome.

Currently have an Olympus EM5 Mk II and love it. Two lenses and easy to carry around.

13. davidio840

Ok so maybe I should say this.. which is better? Mirrorless or DSLR cameras?

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Depends on what you're shooting and how. If you're the type to just take a few pictures of still life, mirrorless is great. Smaller, less cumbersome etc. But if you're shooting action shots or taking 100s of photos every time you go out, you'll want a DSLR. Also, if your subject is going to be moving (ie sports, wildlife, moving cars, etc) then make sure to get a DSLR. If your subject is moving at all, you want to steer clear of mirrorless.

davidio840 likes this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Mirrorless cameras are more technologically advanced but there aren't as many nice lenses available for them. If you plan on never spending more than 500 dollars on a lens, I would go mirrorless.

davidio840 likes this.
  16. davidio840

Thanks @don grahamleone and @rockbox. I will be taking lots of pictures of mountains, landscapes and wildlife. I am not looking to be taking selfies or family photos with this camera at all. So sounds like I need to get a DSLR.

Basically I want to be a few miles from a large mountain and take a very nice photo that I can blow up and it is still a very nice photo. It doesn't pixilate as the size is expanded. I understand it will some, but I don't want it to be very noticeable.

What are your opinions on the Nikon B700 and the Nikon D3300 or D3400?

17. rockbox

Mirrorless and DSLR use the same sensors, so both will do what you want unless you want to spend a few thousand and get a full frame DSLR. The only real advantage to having a DSLR now is that there have been tons of great lens developed over the years for them. Where as a mirrorless, you pretty much only a few lenses worth getting and they are expensive.

davidio840 likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Perhaps a small/light P&S camera would be a good middle ground, but for the first time in years I pulled out my old DSLR (Sony A300 with Minolta 50mm and "bearcan" lenses) to take pictures at my daughter's prom and graduation. Lugging heavy and bulky camera and lenses was a pain and I was out of practice so the pictures were just so so. To be honest the pictures with m phone were just as good and more spontaneous.

Maybe $$ invested in a good small P&S would be better spent than a DSLR. But even then the phone is just so much more convenient...

davidio840 likes this.
  19. davidio840

Yea I use my phone for the normal pics of friends, family, gatherings etc. I just want a good one to take out hiking in Colorado or take some good sunset pics etc. I don't mind carrying it around in a case or backpack. I just can't make up my damn mind lol. Thanks for the info though! I may go DSLR just due to the wide range of affordable lenses that are available. I noticed the B700 doesn't have that capability so I may just go with the Nikon D3400. I have read the B700 is more of a compact camera than a DSLR though.. Is that right? The mirrorless are nice but I would be spending a grand or more and I don't want to spend that much cash now.

Do cameras out-date like computers or do they keep their technological advantages a little longer?

20. rockbox

They hold longer. My wife is a professional photographer and she still uses a 6 year old canon full frame camera.

davidio840 likes this.