1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden is never leaving us

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Oct 15, 2015.

?

Do you believe James?

1. Yes

70.8%
  2. No

29.2%
  1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'll believe it when he signs his new contract 3 years from now.

2. alethios

alethios Member

Don't underestimate the power of the darkside (of LA). We can only hope he stays here. I believe if we get Durant, he will stay.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He will stay as long as we are good, but if we start rebuilding while he's still in his prime, he's gone (as he should).

4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

If we get Durant next year he'll retire a Rocket. Guaranteed.

5. Raven

Raven Member

Exactly. It's the most useless question ever.

6. underrated015

underrated015 Member

We have to stay competitive. With Morey I believe we will. Howard might start declining in a year or two so we have to keep reloading because L.A. Has a couple of potential players that might get his attention and also New Orleans with freaking Anthony Davis who is about to go HAM for the next decade.

7. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

You know that I think? I think there is *nothing* more respectful than a player who chooses a team and sticks with that team throughout their career. I understand teams may eventually retire a players number but there should definitely be more incentive for a player to commit to one or two throughout their career. If Harden does stay with the Rockets throughout and retires with us I think he very well might take over the #1 spot as my favorite all time player (Sorry Hakeem but I was too young to actually enjoy your greatness on the court).

I will never hate Kobe, Iverson, Jordan, Miller, Bird, Hakeem, Thomas, etc for this reason. (**** you though, Stockton)

Harden didn't even come over here to win which enhances the lore. Harden came to Houston and he's changing the way NBA fans all around the world view this city.

8. TheresTheDagger

I'd have a hard time believing he would leave here for just about anywhere else.

First, he'll never get more money than he will here.
    Second, he's comfortable in this city/franchise.
    Third, he has a team brain trust that has continually worked (and been successful) in improving the roster year after year.
    Fourth, he gets to be "the man" in Houston.
    Fifth, the greatest players in NBA history are generally tied to 1 team.

The only things that I think MIGHT make him consider elsewhere would be if much of the above changed and/or if he gets a chance to play with his NBA best friends in his hometown (LA).

9. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I don't believe he will stay if the team crumbles around him.

But I think Morey has proven pretty adept at keeping a good team around his stars once he gets them. So I like our chances better than I would for a generic team/superstar combo.

I hope it's true. But it's too early.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

At the very least, Johnson's prime was all played in Houston. No one is going to remember Johnson's last couple of seasons on another team just like no one cares that Hakeem played 1 season for another team. He is 100% remembered as a Rocket.

11. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

now we just need LBJ or CP3 or whoever helps with the next CBA to protect max players to make the incentive so dam good to stay at their club, should make it at their current team if they resign they can sign for 200% of what anyone else can offer for 6-8 years

12. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

12 SEASONS bro, he left because he wanted a chance at winning and the Texans were not providing that.

13. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

Do you know what flavor is the Kool-Aid?

Rockets Red and we are filled with it.

Except you.

14. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

I think that as long as the Rockets show that they can stay competitive and let him know that he will be the man here in Houston. I think he would stay.

That being said, I don't believe it. Seems like he loves LA Life more than anything.

15. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

he's the man and making max $$ on a team that's competing for a championship. of course he doesn't plan on leaving.

5 years from now when he's made enough and if this team craps, then it'll be interesting to see his loyalty. not that I'd blame him.

16. Ns575

Ns575 Member

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He probably has no reason to be wanting to leave already. That's great. Who knows what the future holds. And remember that Harden is just an asset to Morey. Even if he wants to stay, he may not get the option.

18. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Yes, I'm all for free agency as a last resort. If they want small markets to be competitive they really need to give an incentive for the star players to stay. Free agency should allow players to bail out on situations that are unbearable (Texans/Rick Smith I'm looking at you).

Regardless of people thinking that it is a meaningless statement, it is nice to see Harden saying with such conviction that he plans to stay. Those types of things have an effect on people i.e. current & prospective players, fans, advertisements, etc.

19. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

I don't think Morey views Harden as an asset. Seems like they have a good working relationship where they respect each other.

I don't even know how anyone can view a real deal cornerstone Superstar as an asset at this point.

20. SemisolidSnake

I'd love for J.J. Watt and James Harden to be the new career-loyal fixtures of Houston sports. But Houston sports needs to prove that it deserves that loyalty. They've both got plenty of money; they're going to want something more from their careers, and I'd be sad, but wouldn't blame either one of them for eventually bolting to another team if Houston doesn't produce winners or at least contenders.

(And if either of those guys ever DO leave, we'd better act like Houstonians and not dip****s about it. Leave that job to ESPN and Cleveland.)