1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official ALDS] Astros vs. Royals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 7, 2015.

1. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

Nothing like Houston sports and choke jobs. Lets just hope that this one precedes success *fingers crossed*

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yeah, I like this move. Gattis has been very disappointing this postseason. He seems like hes just trying too hard and it is not working out for him or the team

3. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This isn't basketball, teams can bounce back a lot easier. Momentum is nothing more than a fallacy in this sport in my opinion.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Still relatively in disbelief... But not surprised.

Harris... What a failure in the playoffs...

5. Mattician

Mattician Member

I haven't read what most people are saying on here, but I hope they aren't giving Correa a hard time.

Correa had an amazing game. This was on Harris.

6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Astros pulled a Clippers

7. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

Every girl who ever said something like this to me is an ex-girlfriend.

8. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

Sorry so late with this response. Didn't check last night.

But no, not to me. You know why? Because I never expected this run in the first place. This post-season is all gravy to me. This team is WAY ahead of the curve right now even if they lose this series. I expected a .500 team at BEST. No way anybody else expected more than that. This is like expecting a bike for Christmas and getting a car. So it doesn't run like a dream and you still have to do some work on it to get it in good shape. It's fine.

Most everything I mentioned was end of the road with a fully formed veteran team.

This team is young and has a HUGE future ahead of it. This is just the beginning.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Royals fans had been saying the exact same thing about Hosmer before yesterday...

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's 6:45 AM, and after a full night's sleep, I figured I'd wake up in better spirits. For the most part, that's true, but there's still one thing I need to get off my chest:

**** YOU WILL HARRIS!! I hope I never have to see you pitch in an Astros uniform ever again you worthless sack of ****! Your performances in September helped cause us to lose the division, and now, as a final act in your little barbershop of horrors, you may have cost this team an appearance in the ****ING ALCS. I know you're probably a perfectly nice person, and I don't wish ill-will upon you or your family, but as of this moment, you're dead to me. This is a fan base and a city that DESERVES some success from their sports teams, and instead, our history is riddled with jokers like you who can't handle the pressure of the moment. Really though, all metaphors and hyperbole aside, I just want to say **** WILL HARRIS!

11. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

Woke up this morning with a smile on my face ready to face the day then I remembered about the blown game and I became sad again :(

12. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

:grin: Now this made me laugh and feel better !!!!!

13. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Couldnt sleep. Visions of the 8th playing in my head.
    Single
    Single
    Single
    Single
    Error
    Walk
    Walk

14. LondonAstro

LondonAstro Member

Still can't believe that happened. Went from one of my favourite moments in 15 years of supporting the Astros to one of the all-time worst. Gut punch. *****ing horrible.

We must place 100% faith in McHugh & all our hitters for tomorrow. If they've got anything about them - and I very much believe they do - Hinch will send them out on a revenge mission in KC, send them out angry and ready to stop at nothing until we get through this with a win.

If throwing it away like that doesn't make you angry as a player then nothing ever will. I have very high hopes for Wednesday.

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

You made extra sacrifice for that car (giving up prospects), while the bike was free.

And guess what, surrendering a 4-run lead after 7 innings is much more epic than...
    - losing a 12-point lead 4th quarter lead (Stockton shot)
    - surrendering a 3-run HR (Pujols)
    - losing in 16 innings
    - losing to the Braves

I never said losing this series (if that happens) is the worst Houston fail, but it's definitely in the mix even if it's toward the bottom of the list. Maybe folks are just brushing it off to make themselves better.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Lillard series, both Utah series, 98 versus Padres. Off the top of my head those were easily bigger fails in my book. I consider a fail a better team losing a series they shouldn't. The Royals were a better team than us all year long.

If you want to feel miserable and view this team as chokers than fine, that's you. Even if we come up short Wednesday, there's no way I am entering this offseason with anything but positive feelings, we hit our goal and then some. One terrible relief appearance does not equate to a huge failure.

17. Nero

Nero Member

This is the problem with over-achieving, being 'ahead of schedule'.

The young guns on the Astros are definitely over-achieving this year. Everyone knows it. They have put themselves in position to accomplish great things much sooner than anyone anticipated, especially management.

But because management never expected this much, this soon.. they failed to provide a legitimate bullpen for this season. I have watched the team throughout most of the season, and frankly, yesterday's performance was not that surprising overall. What we have in our bullpen is what you would EXPECT to have on a team that has lost nearly 100 games for the last 3 seasons.

Yes, we expected to be better, but not this good this soon.

And the bullpen has been very shaky all year long. The biggest surprise to me so far in the postseason has been how solid Gregerson has been. He was my biggest worry heading into the end of the season, because he was regularly giving up one or two runs in games.. then we started to see Neshek fall apart, we saw Sipp give a little surge in performance, Harris played over his head all year, Perez is a washed-up guy no one should ever depend on..

I will not be surprised to see an entirely new bullpen next year, with the possible exception of Gregerson.

And honestly, it won't surprise me one bit to see the Astros go back to KC and win it, and take the series to either Arlington or Toronto.

And think about that for a moment.

This bullpen.. against either one of those teams.. :eek:

And if a miracle happens, think about them against the Card or the Cubs (which would be sweet, but you know what I mean).

When you get into the baseball postseason, weaknesses get exposed. And the Astros' bullpen is their most glaring weakness.

No matter which way tomorrow's game goes, it will be good for the Astros moving forward. If they win, then great, they got the 'Fear of God' put into them, and maybe they will become mentally tougher late in games. If they lose, then the offseason becomes deadly serious, management knows what it needs to shore up, and maybe the kids can put away the fog machine and disco balls, and start focusing on dominating, and playing better on the road.

No matter what though, the Astros are finally back on the map in this city, and that's a good thing.

1 person likes this.
  18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

BREAKING NEWS

The Buffalo game isn't a choke/fail since the Bills were the better team.

It IS possible to consider this series an epic fail while still believing we had a good season and have a bright future. It's not one or the other.

Astros had the best or 2nd best bullpen in MLB up until mid-August.

Harris overachieved, but Neshek underachieved compared their career averages.

#4278 Houstunna, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  19. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Hmmm, the Bills with Jim Kelly were maybe a better team but with Frank Reich? I don't think so but I guess they proved it. I think it was way more to do with the Oilers players AND coaches choking in that situation. By far, the worse meltdown in all of sports considering it was a backup QB that did the damage. Still haunts me to this day. The Oilers were a true contender that season and great things were expected out of them near the end of the season.

20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Great post Nero!