1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Google] 2015 Nexus & Chromecast Event

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Sep 29, 2015.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

i apologize if this is more obvious, but are the software updates only specific to the new chromecast?

As it stands, I really don't need the dual band AC wifi or new formfactor.

2. Victorious

Victorious Member

So I ended up preordering the Nexus 5X 32GB through Project Fi. Financed for 24 months, no interest. They also gave me $50 Google store credit and 50% off a Nexus 5X case. Good promos so it was hard to pass up. Ships in 2-3 weeks, which for some reason is faster buying through normal google store which ships in 3-4 weeks.

The oneplus one was good to me but I felt like upgrading. Before that I was on original Nexus 5 so its good to be back with the nexus fam! Making the switch the Project Fi network. Coming from tmobile so it can't be any worst lol

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What have you heard about Project Fi? The Gizmodo review from August 2015 is pretty damning.

4. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

A little pricier than the Moto X pure but for an extra 50 bucks you get (449 32GB moto x vs 499 32gb Nexus 6p)

Snapdragon 810 v 2.1 vs Snapdragon 808 (heating issues supposedly fixed with 2.1 version)

Fingerprint Sensor (good if you use mobile payments (non-root) paying for apps quicker or just unlocking your phone)

USB Type C with fast charging
    AMOLED screen vs LCD for those that prefer it (

Better build quality with metal back and chamfered edges vs polycarbonate and plastic trim around the screen on Moto X Pure. Moto x has that nice metal trim and its no slouch.

3450mah battery vs 3000

Unknowns would be radio performance on the 6P. Motorola has a history of having great radios in their phones. Google's reasoning for having that black glass plate on the back of the 6p is because the phone is metal so they had to put the NFC and antennas in that black glass area (gorilla glass 4).

IF you've ever used a moto phone recently, some of the enhancements are very nice and hard to reproduce on other phones. Trust me I've tried on the Nexus 6.

wrist twist for camera. Super fast but 6p counters with double tap on power button.

Moto Assist (drive) Reads your text out to you while you're driving and allows you to respond and reads back message to confirm.

---Agent do not disturb does this but the motion detection doesn't work as well so you have to either manually enable or associate with a bluetooth device.

Moto Assist (location) you can enable the above feature at specific locations like home or work.

Customized launch phrase. (moto x) Don't want to say "OKay google"? or accidentally have someone else launch your phone or launch all your devices by accident, then you can customize it. YOu can say "okay dumbass" If you're a voice user, this is a very nice feature.

Discrete Google voice search (new feature moto x) just pick up your phone and bring it to your face and it can tell that you want to do a google query. Ask your question or say call "XXX" and it will perform the command or give you the query result over the earpiece. I think I would use this a lot.

I like both phones and have a hard time deciding MOSTLY because I like those moto features so much. MicroSD on the Moto X is nice but I lean a bit towards just having larger internal memory.

hard decision for sure but for me I'm staying with my N6 for now.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

So I answered my own question when the chromecast app updated on my phone :p

6. Victorious

Victorious Member

i've heard the complete opposite of the article, as well. i figured i would give it a shot. theres no early termination fee or anything so i can just go back to tmobile if it sucks. And im assuming it can only get better, not worst.

7. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Think I have you beat. I'm still rocking my Galaxy S3 so this will be a huge upgrade for me. :grin:

8. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I joined you in the switch to Project Fi

Was with ATT with a monthly bill of $67 consistently - F that

I decided to do monthly payments on the 5X so my expected monthly bill will now be ~$52 including taxes but excluding the credits from unused data.

Selling my OnePlus One (like Brand New) and Galaxy S4 Active (thoroughly used) to let me buy the 5X. It only ships in 3-4 weeks time though so I have to stick with ATT for another month. Luckily I have an excess of rollover data available so I'm living it up this month by streaming everything I want on the go.

I'm expecting a worse network but with international travel coming up several times in the next 3 years, I think this is just a no brainer decision with Fi's superior roaming data charges

The cost benefit analysis summary:
    - Stay with ATT: $67/month, no new phone, costs $1608 at 24 months
    - Move to Google Fi with phone monthly payments: $52-/month, new phone, costs $1098 at 24 months. After 24 months, monthly bill becomes $30 or less

Read all the reviews and complaints about Project Fi and it seems like most of the complaints are the anomalous cases that are vocal; majority are happy with service which I hope to be

ATT has taken $67/month for the last 9 years, or equivalently $7200+ + ~$600 down payments for devices from me overall. The network coverage is really great, probably the best, but it's not worth it considering the competition.

#28 srrm, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does the Project Fi invitation ever expire? I got one this week, but my current contract with Verizon runs out in December.

I'm getting closer to biting the bullet and signing up for Fi because of the cost and the belief that the tech behind it will only get better.

I hope y'all let us know how Fi works out for you ;)

10. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

getting my new Chromecast today, interested to see how it is :)

11. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

I received a message from Google indicating that the invitation never expires, so you should be good to hold on to it.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Everyone that is getting a new product...chromecast, phone, Fi, etc...

Please report back. :grin:

13. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I dont think it ever expires. They want people to join them and the more customers the better technology they'll develop.

That's why i joined: because i expect the tech will get a lot better quickly. Just turned out it was convenient for me to try it out now

14. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

My ship date for the 6P is 11/10-11/12. It's going to be a long wait until you here a report.

15. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

same for me on my 6P

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I received my Project Fi invite a couple of months ago, but haven't jumped on it yet.

I'm with Sprint, unlimited everything, for ~$60

17. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

Has anyone received their 6P yet? How long did it take to ship? I ordered one on 10/17, and have been checking my cc statement to see when they charge me for it to try to guess when it would ship out.. The charge has been pending up until 2 days ago, when it just disappeared, no charge and no pending.. Did Google cancel my order?

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Dont leave. That's a great deal.

1 person likes this.
  19. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

The amount they "charged" you was just an authorization to make sure you had the cash/ability to purchase it. It goes away after a few days.

As for those who ordered initially (Sept 29th I think?)

Dave2000 got charged for his on Thursday I believe.
    I got charged for mine on Monday (2 days ago)

We both should have it tonight.

20. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

most (if not all) 128gb are delayed by a couple of weeks. i ordered frost and it's the only color that hasn't shipped out to anyone yet... even if you ordered before the link went live. :(

oh... and what mig said above is right.