1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Game] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingLeoric, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Dei

Dei Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9L1WYMKSaTA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

I've put 5-6 hours into the game and felt like I've done a whole bunch of nothing. Not even feeling the need to play, please tell me it gets better! I've beat every other MGS game before this one, but this one (since the prologue) has not hooked me at all. The sandbox design does not help either.

3. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I haven't turned the game on since my initial playing of about 30 minutes (and I watched a buddy play about an hour). I thought...let's put this game in and see if it just grabs me by the neck and takes me for a bad ass ride I cannot stop playing. Instead, we got what I have to say is the worst opening hour of a game ever.

I am still planning on going back to check it out, but I have not heard many good things from the other friends I know who have it. The reviews cannot be this off, can they?

4. Poloshirtbandit

Same for me. I just captured a sniper character, wondering if the story gets more interesting after that, but it seems too much like Peace Walker which was very boring.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This or Witcher?

6. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Witcher is great. I played it full time for weeks.

7. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Wow, judging from the last 5 comments or so, I'm not the only one that was a bit turned off by the first few hours of game play. Yeah upon my first mission of trying to find Kaz, it took me about an hour of just roaming around doing a whole lot of nothing and I can definitely see how people are getting turned off by it.

I still am playing it 22 hours in, so far I haven't experienced a real big splash in story telling yet. The sniper character is quite interesting but other than that, not much yet. I do still enjoy the game play, it's smooth and still fun sneaking around, interrogating enemies but I can see how some prefer the straight narrative with impactful cut scenes every hour or so in to game play.

8. Dei

Dei Member

The story really blows in this game. When the main quest is like that, it makes all the other elements not really look appealing to do.

9. noize

noize Contributing Member

People have been complaining since the franchise existence about its over abundanced cut scene and its linear gameplay so when Kojima finally made one that is non-linear and more focused on gameplay people still complained? My goodness, we can't win with this series.

10. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

As much as I wanted to like it, I did have some problems with the story. I liked the major concepts and themes, but I imagine it could have been put together in a better package. There were some bright spots (Mission 43, the "easily missable side story," etc.), but it seems like somewhat of a mess.

What salvages the game for me is the gameplay. It does start off a bit slow I guess (it was mostly hype that had me continuing on in the first couple hours), but when you get everything "unlocked," I feel the gameplay is super addicting. I already have well over 100 hours invested in the game (finished all the story missions and most of the side ops), and I'm still enjoying the open world gameplay. Easily the best gameplay of any MGS game IMO, and it makes the overall package worth it even with some of the problems with the story.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Maybe because "non-linear" gameplay doesn't have to mean completely bland story? Nice black&white thinking you got there.

12. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Well now that I finished the story, I guess it all make sense now.

Though the ending is definetely unexpected, the overall story is underwhelming for a MGS game.

13. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

Yeah, I really like the core gameplay loop. Like you, I've completed the story missions and side missions, and am just running around the world enjoying the stealth gameplay and getting myself some more S-ranked soldiers just for funsies (after you hit rank 60 or so on all your departments, the rest is pretty much purely cosmetic).

But like a lot of other people, I found that opening mission really annoying. I actually wish they had just done the whole thing as a cutscene, rather than them giving you just enough control to require input to move forward but not enough to do anything interesting. Big waste of time, really.

Overall I really liked the game, although I wish there was more meaningful post-game content. Before long I'll be tired of the random running around.

14. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Sounds like if I thought MGS3: Subsistence was the pinnacle of MGS and hated Peace Walker, I should skip MGS5. Anyone feel otherwise?

15. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

The gameplay's the best it's ever been once you get past that boring opening chapter. But the story stuff... meh.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I trust clutchfans more than metacritic.

The Witcher it is

17. Rocket_Man_2.0

MGSV sucks..worst metal gear solid game!

18. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

If u hated Peace Walker I feel there is a good chance u wont like this one. Though it does fill some important gaps in the franchise lore. I actually dont recommend anyone to skip a metal gear game.

19. Poloshirtbandit

About how long does it take to get through the main story? I'm only at 12% and tempted to just read spoilers to figure out what's going on. At the rate that I'm playing it'll be 6 months before I get through the game. I've been wandering around trying to find the Afrikaans translator with no luck and getting kind of bored.

20. aggie87

aggie87 Member

Witcher 3 is the best ps4 game I played so far... top 5 rpg ever