1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas unsure he'll be ready

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ico4498, Sep 11, 2015.

1. towW

towW Member

Hacka Shaq does work at certain times.

2. towW

towW Member

Guys I'm agreeing with you. I was just giving argument for the other side. They both have their pros and cons.

3. towW

towW Member

The only point I wanted to make was DMO is better than Dwight on the offensive end for the team IMO. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in there. I wasn't planning on arguing everything but I wanted to give everyone a response.

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

No one likes a devil's advocate.

5. basketballholic

Comparing DMo playing center without Dwight to Terrence playing the 4 next to Dwight (and Smoove and CC) is not equivalent context.

There's way too much direct comparison made between DMo and Terrence defensively leaving out context. This is why you have to watch the games and understand the mitigating factors. You have to remember the context under which numbers are compiled.

6. towW

towW Member

True but it gives us different angles on answers.

7. towW

towW Member

I'm not even arguing about Terrence Jones. I don't think I've even stated his name until now. I was just talking about DMO who this forum is about.

8. dmoneybangbang

They are two different types of players; TJones is more of a 3/4 combo and DMo is more of a 4/5 combo, but both are best suited at 4 spot.

So far, when both are healthy, TJones wins out the starting spot. Personally, I think DMo's game is more suited for a 6th man type of role However, that's what the front office and coaches are for, to sort it out.

9. malakas

malakas Member

let me repeat again. The comparison was between DMO and DWIGHT. Not Jones.
    Also between DMO and the rest of the CENTERS IN THE LEAGUE. NOT JONES.

And dmo SUCKED in rim protection compared to the rest of the league.
    Theire is no need for special context or mitigating factors.

10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

He plays both and before the season started we all knew Dmo was going to play Center. Especially if Dwight went down.

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Him and Bobby will never admit or agree to that malakas. You've been on here long enough to know that simple fact. Both of those guys are smart but even a 5 year old can see the hate they have towards T. Jones. Every year Holic states that it's a guarantee Jones will be traded. And you refute that as well as bring that to his attention. Then he gets into his feelings and start putting people on his ignore list. Therefore the best course to take is ," man you're 100% right" and move on.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

So who better?

DyesMo or TnoJ?

13. malakas

malakas Member

yes I know that they are amazing at ignoring stuff that don't fit their agendas.
    However there is scientific proof that when a false fact is all the time repeated it starts be taken for granted by the brain because of the time it is proccessed.
    And the forum here is a good example for that. After all the hundred times of repeating year after year that Jones is trash and worthless and DMO is the savior of the planet, you see so many other "bystander" posters start taking it for granted.

Anyway DMO is not without serious flaws. And the reason that this is important is that he is a combo big, in contrast to Jones. Rim protection for him is MUCH MUCH more important than it is for a pf (Jones).
    If you take the BEST defensive pf in the league (Ibaka) and see his stats, he is just average in rim protecting compared to Centers.

On the other hand there is a ok stat for DMO taht shows he can play adequate positional defence around the rim. That is the "shots compared to average at the rim" taken.
    Bogut is no.1 and Howard is no.2. Including the fg% at the rim, Howard is clearly the second best defensive center in the league. (that is for those who think that he is needless). Bogut is no.1.
    Gobert even though he allows much less fg% at the rim isn't so good at preventing shots taken , at least yet.

14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Noah had no hope this night.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e_4DPvAxFU4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. OpenLayup-Why3?

Are you talking about double standards and that we shouldn't expect rim protection from Jones, but we should from DMo? It's like Jones gets a pass and DMo gets punished for being able to play center. One of the main reasons why Rockets had the season they had last year.

16. malakas

malakas Member

No I'm not talking double standards.
    Dmo first of all is more valuable as a player in any team because he is a combo big. Versatility matters, as does height. (which is why he will probably be paid more).
    However as a center his rim protection leaves a LOT to be desired (it's one of the worse in centers). So while he's a combo big, as a center he's not that good- because defence is the most important thing a center in the current NBA should offer.

Now I can post some charts that show how rim protection goes down with position from guard to center
    And this from nyloncalculus :
    From ALL the bigs in Houston (the stats don't include Capella and Black) last year per 36 Dmo was the worst in points saved at the rim. Yes even worse than Dorsey.
    He also contested less % than every other big. And he was second to Dorsey in Rim fg% allowed.
    The stats dont lie. If you take out Dorsey he was the worst rim defender from the Rockets including both pfs and centers.

The average center saves 7.89 pnts/36 and DMO saved only 5.9. That's one of the league's worst for centers.

17. RESINator

RESINator Member

What is going on with DMo? Does anyone know what exactly his back injury was??

18. OpenLayup-Why3?

Jammed nerve would be literal translation from what they said in lithuanian media. I am pretty sure source was an interview with DMo where he said his options were to wait for the nerve to loosen and go back to normal, but there was no time table when would that happen, if it would happen. So he went for the surgery right away.
    That was the reason why I thought everyone is overreacting, because with this information it looked like nothing too serious. But such a long rehab shows it wasn't nothing serious.

19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Being forced to have back surgery is always serious in my book because the rehab like you say usually takes a while. I want DMO back ASAP as I feel he and Terrence Jones are going to be big keys for the Rockets to have a successful upcoming season. When either one of those guys is playing well the rockets are tough to beat. Hopefully DMO gets cleared for physical contact soon because the Western Conference is going to be another bloodbath right out of the gate. Go Rockets

20. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Bbhollic here to make sure nobody says anything positive about jones