1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas unsure he'll be ready

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ico4498, Sep 11, 2015.

1. malakas

malakas Member

Ah you mean that a defensive center that knows his role and doesn't waste possesions by inefficient posting up. The problem is that they are hard to find.
    It sure would be nice to have one.

2. towW

towW Member

Well I guess to defend the paint with the most expensive thing you can find.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, they don't. The numbers are separated between regular season and post-season. If you're curious, Jones allowed a staggering 62.3% at the rim in the playoffs last season. That's his true colors.

Anyway I do agree that DMo isn't a center, but the point is that he's by far the best defensive PF on the roster unless Harrell really plays out of his mind as a rookie. Hell there was what, 3% difference between DMo's rim protection numbers playing primarily out of position at center and Jones' numbers at PF only during the regular season and then he yet again crapped the bed in the playoffs. It's just not even an issue up for debate.

4. towW

towW Member

It's not who is starting but who is finishing.

5. basketballholic

Everyone's rim protection is better when they play next to Dwight. Context.

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That should be Dwight but we have stupid fans who expect him to be Hakeem or Shaq when he is just Dwight. When healthy, Dwight is still a monster both defensively and at rebounding. How many times have we seen guards penetrate, see Dwight, and make a 180? Dwight is absolutely worth a max contract.

7. malakas

malakas Member

My source doesn't. What are you using? Sportvu?
    It's easy critising when there is no data for DMO's po rim protection.
    Agreed that he isn't a center. Maybe he can improve. He's not a finished product (neither is Jones btw). If he can be a adequate defensive combo big that will be amazing. However if you put him as your starter center right now you will have trouble in the pos.
    And as far as centers go, rim protection is the most important part of the defence.

8. towW

towW Member

I agree what you are saying , but a 180 dunk is only 2 points.

9. malakas

malakas Member

ehm the inital context was DMO vs Dwight and DMO in comparison to the rest of the centers in the league. And he has one of the worst rim protections in the league.

10. marky :)

marky :) Member

Lol wtf. Either you're joking or you're really high right now.

11. malakas

malakas Member

he doesn't speak good english is my guess.

Hey twoww when he said do an 180 he didn't mean dunk . He meant that the guard went right away from the rim because he saw Dwight in front of him. lol:grin:

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Wrong 180 friend. When I say 180, in this context I mean that the guard makes a U-turn when they see Dwight in the paint.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

DMo is the starting power forward, he's certainly not the starting center. It's nice that he's a versatile enough player to give you emergency minutes at the 5 if needed, but in a perfect world he'll be able to play the whole season next to Dwight.

14. towW

towW Member

Just imagine if DMO understands defense & rebounding like he understands offense. That would be a 7ft beast.

15. towW

towW Member

No I'm just used to dunking in 2K15 alot.

16. towW

towW Member

Guards may do 180s in the paint driving to the hoop but, all they need to do to stop him on offense is foul him.

17. towW

towW Member

OK I'm gonna get off of here and stop arguing against Dwight. I was just throwing some food for thought out there.

18. malakas

malakas Member

that's great. Since Dwight is pretty inefficient when posting up and the guards are the teams' main offensive weapons let them foul out.
    Hacka Shaq doesn't work.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He understands defense. He is good at rotating. His problem is his anemic rebounding, and lack of physicality.

20. towW

towW Member

Then he needs to Shaq up.